“out of this world”

Best Western Hotel La Solara Sorrento
Ranked #9 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Reviewed 16 May 2012

myself, my husband and my son visited on th 7th may and we were on our honeymoon, my son is 2 yers old and we were concerned at first how he would behave and were a little anxious about the other guests in relation to them being disurbed if he had a tantrum.
how wrng we were, the staff were attentive and fussed over my son, the manager hi fived him every time he saw him as did some of the other staff, we arrived at half past ten at night and were greated with a 3 course meal as we had been "travelling all day and might be hungry", it was our honeymoon and we had a free bottle of wine, champagne, canopes and a fruit bowl which my son soon ate his way through. the staff were all fantastic, couldnt do enough for us, my son was taught how to say bonjourno and chao, and the other guests in the hotel chatted to him and made him feel welcome, all in all a friendly , chilled out environment to be in. We cannot say which staff stood out for us as everyone whether they spoke english or only a little were great. Nello , Franko, and Ugo ( i think he was the manager) were especially great with my son, aswell as Antonio the pool assistant who fixed my sons new car together. Marcello was amazing with my son also, We are definatly visiting next year, even the cleaners who came at least twice a day were friendly and the rooms were immaculate! we stopped in room 128 which was ideal for us as it was a concrete balcony so my son couldnt stick his legs through any railings, it had a pool view and my husband and i had many nights sipping wine and reading on a night time when my son was asleep. the bus driver was also very friendly and went out of his way to meet our needs and advised us the directions we needed to go to get cheaper toys , water ect. the breakfast was out of this world, we found ourselves trying new things and enjoying it! the coffee was fresh! and actually coffee not the purculated rubbish you find in alot of hotels, we visited pompeii on the local train and although it was busy we spent a quater of what thompson were offering, we are going back next year in early may again hopefully to visit the wonderful place, staff and hotel. in sorrento i advise you take the lift down to the marina port and dont try to walk like we did, taxis can be expensive and like anywhere you go they charge high rates to holiday makers than they would to locals. we cannot wait to return to see everybody again, we have stopped in many hotels 4 and 5 star including Roco Forte, Raddisson, and Marriott hotels and we feel this hotel should definatly be a star as it exceeded them all !!!

Room Tip: pool view rooms or sea view are the best
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank tracy k
UGOSolara, Manager at Best Western Hotel La Solara Sorrento, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2012

The management and all the staff would like to thank all customers who appreciated the hard work done to make their stay as pleasant as possible.

There are newer reviews for Best Western Hotel La Solara Sorrento

Reviewed 14 May 2012

This a hard review to write because there are so many positives and a few important negatives:

First, the staff was absolutely welcoming and bent over backwards to attend to your needs. On the basis of service alone, the hotel deserves 5 stars!!! Great job guys, you were so pleasant :)

Second: the room we stayed in (122 I think) was spacious and very clean, which is another big plus, with a bottle of complimentary red wine waiting for us. So nice! We enjoyed it right away!

Third: the room had no view (it was one of the "rooftop view" rooms) but we were told when we booked it that it was not a "sea view" although we were told it was a "pool view" which it isn't. I wasn't put off too much because I read through all of the reviews and based on that I figured that was the room we were booking. I probably would have been more upset if I hadn't have read the reviews and been prepared, because like everyone I'm sure, we would love to enjoy the views. I recommend not telling guests it has a view at all, because I think it gives the wrong impression and people are often upset most when they don't get what they were expecting.

Fourth: we drove our own car and had a place to park for free in front of the hotel, big plus!

Fifth: our room (I'm not sure about others) was quite noisy as you could hear the plumbing in the walls and people in other rooms using the restrooms and there was a bit of street noise. It wasn't terrible, but some sound proofing could do wonders!

Overall, the hotel was just fine and we aren't upset at all that we chose this place. We only took fruit to-go for breakfast, so I cannot comment on the food. We spent our time out of the hotel, including meals. The service is great, the staff was so nice to our dog!!! The hotel is clean and well-maintained. It's a little bit outside of the centro, but I think any guest should do a little homework and know before if that will cause problems... We didn't have any (except they do close the main street for traffic in the evening so people can walk, you must use an alternate route!)

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jessie L

Reviewed 12 May 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Best Western from April 22, through April 24, 2012.
We arrived in Sorrento by the Circumvesuviana train line and took a very pricey cab (25 Euro) to the Best Western. Once we were at the Best Western we took advantage of the hourly free shuttle to town. The shuttle van was large, clean, and punctual. Also, the drivers were also friendly.
Our room was outdated, but very clean. The bathroom was very large and immaculate. Be aware, there is no air conditioning in the rooms. This was not an issue for us since it was still spring, but I think it would be an issue during the hot summer months. You are able to open the windows, but I am not sure this would suffice in the summer.
The breakfast was by far the best during our entire two weeks in Italy. The Best Western offered a variety of options and ample seating with great views.
We had issues trying to connect to wifi in our room, but there is a public computer in the lobby that we were able to use.
We received exceptional service from the front desk staff. Whenever we had an issue connecting to wifi they were more than willing to try to help. Also, there was a “rock slide” on the Amalfi Coast, so the public buses were not running. The front desk kept us posted with updates and arranged for a private car to take us the following day.
Overall, we enjoyed our stay at Best Western, but I do feel the rooms could use an update. I would recommend this hotel.
If you are looking for suggestions for dinner in town I would highly recommend Pizzeria da Franco and Inn Bufalito.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 May 2012

We loved the room service and the friendly staff who didn't mind my clumsy attempts at Italian. The shuttle bus was handy, the room was very clean and comfy, delicious food to suit even the fussiest appetites. We would love to come back one day.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank AllyD77

Reviewed 10 May 2012

I brought a group of 8 with Circa Travel to La Solara and we all were happy there. The food was fantastic (a dinner anti pasta bar like I've never seen!) and hearty breakfasts too. Service was very professional. Antonio, Nicholas, and Massimo did everything they could possibly do to make our stay enjoyable.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank ciaobla

Reviewed 10 May 2012

this is one of the slickest hotels we have stayed in. Customer Service is absolutely first class you feel the staff want to do whatever they can to make your holiday the best ever

Room Tip: pay the difference for a sea view it is so worth it
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank hp52

Reviewed 9 May 2012

We choose this hotel because it had excellent food reviews. And indeed the food was fantastic, and offered a very good selection of vegitarian anti pastas, starters and mains. Our standard room was very good and clean. The hotel runs a courtesy bus to/from Sorrento every hour, thus making it the perfect location to retreat to. And we enjoyed a late afternoon swim in the heated pool!!

Room Tip: We will definitely return to this hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple