“Friendly and welcoming, the perfect place to stay.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Hotel De La Ville Sorrento

Grand Hotel De La Ville Sorrento
Ranked #16 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Kent
“Friendly and welcoming, the perfect place to stay.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2009

Just returned from our first ever visit to Sorrento. We chose Hotel De La Ville mainly from reading the reviews on this site and we were not disappointed . Travelling with First Choice we were promised at least a side sea view, our room though was on the 1st floor, so no view, but it suited us and I'm sure if we had complained we would have been moved. The views from the rooftop are spectacular especially at night, sunsets are amazing. Well, what can I say about the staff! everyone was so friendly, reception, porter, chambermaids, bar (Gino and team), and the restaurant under the watchful eye of Enzo who was so charming. His team were brilliant and the food excellent.
The hotel is situated 5 minutes walk from the centre of Sorrento, the train station and bus stops. We booked for 3 excursions which were quite expensive (Herculaneum/Vesuvius, Capri, Salerno/Paestum), but found the guides very informative. Note that admission to sites and also lunch is not included on most trips, they do prearrange a set lunch at a restaurant which can cost an extra 11-15 euros a head. You can decline this if you wish, which we did on the Salerno trip having bought rolls in Sorrento before going. Check out the patisserie on the main street, just past the supermarket. 3 euros for an enormous ham roll!! We made our own way to Pompeii on the train, which is really cheap, and would really recommend this as the site is huge and we spent the whole day there without being on a time schedule.
We are already thinking about a return trip to this hotel, it is rare to find somewhere that is so perfect and that make their guests feel so welcome.

1 Thank Bizu07

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (747)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Cardiff, Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2009

Reason for holiday was to get married in Capri. We had 4 days in Sorrento Hotel Grand de la Ville and then onto Capri for the wedding and 3 nights stay there. We were a party of 4, my wife to be and our two sons, 8 years and 5 years old. At first we were a bit concerend that there would be enough to do for them, but I can honestly say that we had the best holiday ever and cannot wait to return! The waiters, Enzo, Genaro, Nemo, Dino,etc.... all long time serving at this hotel were fantastic with the boys,even taking them into the kitchen to meet the Chefs, I cannot compliment this hotel enough. I have travelled and stayed in many hotels around Europe and could never understand why people return year after year to the same holiday destination/hotel, but after satying here I now can.The hotel was so clean and maintenance was spot on, food excellent choice (we were HB), good choice for kids. This hotel has two pools, one roof and one in the walled garden, but if you like the sea make sure you use the sister hotel 2 mins walk and you can use the bathing platform into the sea, this was also great for the kids.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank thetraveller360
cambs
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2009

The hotel was excellent no faults at all. The staff made you feel welcome and the food was excellent and rooms immaculate. The views from the roof were to die for. I would certainly go back and take the whole family.

1 Thank honeycambs
East Boldon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2009

I used Trip Adviser before booking this hotel, as a single traveler I was disappointed with my room. On arrival my room was ready - fantastic, I saw the standard and size of double rooms on the second floor and then opened the door to my room. I felt let down as I had paid a single supplement and I can only describe the size of my room as "Shoebox". the room was gloomy and had neither a sea view or view of the lemon tress as stated in the Hotel literature. I felt like a second class citizen, this was not a good way to start a holiday. I was given a complimentary upgrade after 3 days.

Food was good and the restaurant staff were friendly, but service was quick and although open until 10pm from memory when I once was "late" down for dinner - around 8.30pm I was rushed out!

Wine waiter "recommended" expensive wines from the list and water was 3.5 Euros a bottle.

I had use of a complementary room the day I checked out - a double which was of a very high standard - my warning is that not all rooms are of the same standard and in my opinion the single rooms do not warrant a 4 star rating. The second room had a fantastic view but the shower was once again not up to standard (shower head that needed to be replaced and shower curtain that had seen better days) - I expected more after reading the reviews.

Would I recommend this hotel - only if you check out the standard of your room before you book, and don't travel "solo"

On the plus side the restaurant staff made everyone feel very welcome!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank SoloEastBoldon
Devon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2009

We went to Italy in June 2009 and checked the trip advisor before we booked. All previous reviews were good and so we chose this hotel.
We did not want to be on a main road, this hotel is on a quiet road and within a 5 minute stroll to the main Piazza, Restaurants and shops, so ideally situated. The rooms were spacious, electric blinds on the windows were a plus. Our rooms overlooked the back, no view but small balcony table and chairs so adequate.All the staff were happy and the hotel was very clean. The restaurant was beautifully laid out. The food was excellent with good variety and Enzo and his staff were always very attentive to everyone young and old. I would definatly recommend this hotel and would love to visit again especially if i could stay on the 4th or 5th floor front facing rooms as they have fabulous views across the bay.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
Teesside
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2009

Well i do not know where to start. Everything was perfect, the staff could not do any more for us than they did. The food was fantastic, the rooms were the best i have ever been in, the view was breath taking so much as i had to pinch myself each morning i looked out of the window. If you like fantastic views or photography like myself this is the place to be.

Thank you so much to Enzo & all the staff

Long live Farrari

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank madf1fan
Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2009

My wife and I booked the Hotel de La Ville after reading some excellent reviews on Trip Advisor and, having just spent a week there we certainly do not have any regrets about our choice.
I don't think I have ever stayed in a hotel where all the staff were so friendly, so pleased to be of service and always had a smile or warm greeting for their guests. I also don't think I've stayed at a hotel where every area was so spotless throughout our stay.
My wife and I particularly enjoyed the opportunity to breakfast on warm mornings in the wonderful garden. The choice of food for breakfast was certainly on a par with some of the better hotels we have stayed in.
My one major complaint was that we tended to be rushed through our evening meals. I like to take my time to enjoy food rather than gulping it down, but on more than one occasion the waiter came with our main course before we had finished our salad that accompanied our starter. Likewise, no sooner had we finished our main course than the sweet trolley was at our table. The hotel was, no doubt, fairly full at the time and they wanted to get everyone served as quickly as possible. I am sure that this hotel is no different to many others in this respect. There was certainly no shortage of restaurant waiters - they seemed to be swarming everywhere. And they all had a smile on their faces!
Another slight gripe was the price of drinks - subtantially more than in the UK, but no doubt the week pound against the Euro had something to do with this. Drinks were just as expensive at other bars we visited in the resort.
A word or two about the decor - it was superb, with an emphasis on in-laid woodwork - furniture that must have been extremely expensive to buy if smaller in-laid woodwork items in the nearby shops were anything to go by. I personally thought that the bed was rather on the firm side, but no doubt many guests prefer them to be like this. You'll never please everyone when it comes to hotel beds.
All in all, we spent a thoroughly enjoyable week and have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to others.

1 Thank Cardi1