“DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Carlton International Hotel
Ranked #59 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
“DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
Reviewed 21 September 2013

They say there is never a second chance to make a first impression, HOW TRUE!!
From the moment we entered the hotel the young man that was watching me struggle up the front stairs with my case unbelievably worked at the Carlton hotel. However when I eventually got the case up the stairs he of course insisted on taking the case up to the room for his 2 euros tip.
I am quite well travelled and I have stayed in a variety of different hotels, these have all had different star ratings, sometimes the hotel has been on a budget other times I have splashed out as a treat, but I can honestly say this is the WORST HOTEL I have ever stayed in, I don't expect too much when I am travelling as I know star ratings in Europe are very different to the UK and maybe I have been really lucky in my previous experiences,but one thing I can always say is I have always been greeted with a warm smile and at the very least a hello whilst checking in to the hotel. Well I am not going to call them receptionists as they are clearly not, but the ARROGANT,miserable,RUDE, unhelpful women on the front desk clearly hate their jobs so much that it is blatantly obvious , apparently the hotel is an independent hotel maybe they are family members and that they know they can do what they want and there is no one that will challenge their atrocious customer service standards.
Breakfast finishes at 9.30 but please make sure you get down stairs preferably one hour before the end because once it's been put out and its gone it wont be replenished you will notice guests circling around looking what to select to eat, and there isn't anything except boiled eggs if you make it down on time they are the only thing that looks in the remote bit appetising,the toaster is a joke as the toast comes out the same colour it went in even after passing through the toaster 2- 3 times. Do yourself a favour and just go to a local cafe and get yourself something decent to start your day, yes you have paid for it but it is really not worth the hassle and after all is said and done your on your holidays.
Please don't believe the photos on website as they look half decent,what you see is not what you get !!!!!!!
Towels get changed but don't expect the bed linen to be changed as you will be disappointed, pool and bar area dismal. You can't use your iron and there are no ironing facilities they won't tell you at reception but you can buy a local adapter plug from the local deco super market for 3 euro and also something they won't tell you is you don't have to use the taxi they recommend for airport transfer for 100 euro you can get a coach from train station 5 minutes walk away for 10 euro per person.
I Requested to speak to the manager to be perfectly honest my main complaint throughout my stay was the rudeness of the front desk staff and he was unavailable,this actually speaks volumes obviously the manager either doesn't know what his staff are like when he is not on site or he doesn't really care, I have never wrote a review before and felt obliged to do so to save anyone else having a similar experience.
Well this is a little message to the manager and owner of the Carlton International your staff are RUDE arrogant and extremely unhelpful and if it was my business I would send in a mystery guest every couple of months to give me a genuine truthful account and be your ears and eyes when you are not around and to keep everyone on their toes and to get rid of the people that are damaging your business as you are a long way away from being a four star hotel.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Summerhouse99

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Ko Pha Ngan, Thailand
Reviewed 15 September 2013

the hotel is nice, not too much, but the location is very good!!!
and ENRICO, the night clerk is AMAZING!!!! he is THE BEST!!!!!
such a nice person, best advises EVER! very patient!
Enrico, you made our holiday! thank u!!!!
Sharona and Rony

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank RonyKatz
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Arrived to hotel tierd after travelling with 4month old baby to find there is no ramp for prams or even luggage for that matter, pram had to be carried by my husband up roughly 12 marble steps alone as not once for the whole week we stayed did one member of staff offer to help!!!!god help anyone arriving there in a wheelchair! Then the pram could barley fit in the smallest lift I've ever seen in my life only one of us could go in with pram.We arrive to the room to find no kettle or any facilities for that matter , very basic room more like 2 star keeping in mind it's advertised as 4 star and quotes this on their website 'The Hotel as well as the stunning location in the heart of Sorrento, offers its guests many amenities to ensure a relaxing, comfortable, relaxing and you enjoy it. Our staff is attentive to the needs of all customers, so if you need their help do not hesitate to ask' which is pure lies as the baby was our first priority and needed a bottle made when we arrived as he is formula fed which isn't that unusual my husband ventured back down to reception to see why there was no kettle where he was rudely told they don't provide them due to fires also would not offer to loan us one and basically left him there feeling silly for asking, he got boiling water from the bar and we had to drop everything at 7pm on Sunday and go and find an electrical shop to buy a kettle which was which cost us 60€ and was looking around town for hours!no iron in room either and could not even loan us one due to fires, pool area is completely unkept n gardens overgrown nothing like pictures, location good and rooms kept clean and cleaning staff were only nice staff in whole hotel, terribly run hotel and I am not fussy at all I just expect the basics, but this hotel was worse I've ever stayed in by a mile!!!the thing that annoyed me most is we would not have stayed here had they clearly put on the website no kettle / ramps for prams/wheelchairs as we had to keep taking baby out of pram each time we were approaching steps to carry pram disturbing him from naps etc, when my husband approached the hotel about this and asked what do they do if somebody arrived in a wheelchair he was told 'we don't have people staying in wheelchairs' I rest my case!! Disgraceful !

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank Gracey25

Travellers are raving about these Sorrento hotels

Newburyport, Massachusetts
Reviewed 8 September 2013

This hotel was the cheapest hotel we stayed in Italy and you get what you pay for. However, I still would recommend it to someone that is trying to cut costs on hotels. Europe’s rating of hotels are not equivalent to the USA. The hotel was a 2 star hotel that needs some updating. However, it is clean, walking distance to the subway, center of town, and ferry. We had a balcony with a beautiful view. This hotel had the poorest continental breakfast of cold cereal and pasties.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Cardiff uk
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Hotel has its bad points and good points but we believe the good outweigh the bad.
Firstly, the bad. The rooms are in desperate need of an update, if they were to do this they would definitely get away with charging more. Lift is ridiculously small and slow. Breakfast is the the same each day and not worth getting out of bed for.old fashioned Yale lock with half a tonne of metal attached that you have to hand in to reception and then wait to get back to re enter your room each day. Also our bed linen was not changed in the 5 nights we stayed

Good points. Excellent location. We walked the whole of Sorrento and had researched our hotels. In my opinion there isn't a better located one especially with a pool. The views are amazing from the 3 rd floor so 4th floor were probably even better. Balcony was a real plus. Most hotels only had Juliet balconies but this balcony was very big.

Everybody who passed by looked up at tis hotel and stopped to look at the balconies.

PS the lady who rang from the uk who is staying here on the 19th-22nd of sept. we were in reception when you phoned and were told the balcony overlooking the pool is best as the road is noisy. This is not true. The road is slightly noisy but the view is well worth it!! The back overlooking the pool has no view!! Recall the hotel!

Room Tip: 310-314 and 411 & 412 have the biggest balconies with the best view
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BargainH0lidayHunter
Hastings, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2013

The location is very good, virtually at the heart of Sorrento, restaurants, train and bus station minutes away. It has a good pool and garden with lemon trees, which at the end of August was quiet. Probably built in the 70's with little done since. That said our room had a large balcony looking to the hills on the pool side. Room was spotless, Air conditioning was fine (we were on the 1st floor).a small but clean bathroom and the shower curtain was a challenge!. Our main discomfort was a very hard bed and pillows. Breakfast was as for a 3 star hotel, but quite adequate: attentive waiters, good coffee and warmed croissants. We read lots of reviews and we set our expectations accordingly. For touring the area great, for a romantic break you may need to pay a bit more or stay further out but then you miss the passaggietta!

Room Tip: A sea view is not really worth any extra
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mparsloe
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2013

After reading some of the reviews on here I was a bit apprehensive but was pleasantly surprised. The hotel is a very short walk from the main piazza in Sorrento so an ideal location. Reception is furnished well as that's where you have to sit to access free wifi. Reception staff were always helpful and polite.
The room was on the 4th floor and I agree the shower is way too small and would be better having doors rather then a curtain that clings to you, we had to shower without the curtain on one side and so the floor became very wet. Its very compact and perhaps the bidet can be removed to make more space. Hair washing for longer haired people is a nightmare as the hairdryer is useless too.
The rest of the room was fine, no problems with fridge, tv or AC.
The pool area was ok with pool service by waiting staff a bit hit and miss, it was quicker to go to the bar yourself, the sandwichs are very basic and we ate out after one lunch. Was nice and quiet with no shortage of sunbeds.

All in all an average hotel which suited its purpose for a 4 night stay.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends