“Ideal location”

Ranked #58 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Ideal location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

We stayed for a week between the17 September to the 24 September,the good bits were the location and we found the staff very helpfully and pleasant.Were we lucky? Who knows.Yes, it's not a 4star,and it does need decorating,the bottom line is its clean and tidy.The breakfast was continental,cereals,fruit,meats,cheese,and coffee/tea.Know the bad bits-----the evening meal to be had in a restaurant around the corner,well the menu was limited to say the least,and the service was terrible.

Room Tip: Front room 209 was good,the road was not to bad..
Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Hereford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

I did have reservations about booking this hotel having read other, rather mixed, reviews. However, I was pleasantly surprised on arrival to find it located just a few hundred yards from Tasso Square, yet quite quiet. The reception is large and airy, if rather old-fashioned, the service was good and, yes, the lift is minute (but there's always the stairs!) The breakfast is standard, european fare - cold meats, cheese, bread, cereals, tinned fruit and pastries, with tea/coffee/juices - no different to many other hotels I've stayed in abroad. The Dining Room is also large and very smart, as are the waiters, with their white jackets and dark trousers.
We paid for a sea view and this was key to the whole experience. We entered our room on the 3rd floor, stepped onto the balcony and marvelled at an outstanding view across the Bay of Naples to Mt Vesuvius in the distance (we had room 315). We spent many hours sat outside in the sun sipping cold beer that could be purchased from a Limoncello factory just yards from the hotel at only 2.5euros for a 660ml bottle of ice cold Peroni (there was a fridge in the room, which was ideal.
The swimming pool is really quite large for a hotel and also deep enough to actually swim! Service at the pool bar was, however, very slow at times. For what we paid this hotel was good VFM - if you want "5 star" stay at the hotel across the road and pay 3-4 times the price!

Room Tip: Pay for a sea view (essential) and ask for floors 3,4 or 5 - preferably towards the centre.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FreevasB
Chester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

Even though the hotel is dated glory I do remember it when it was stunning retro 50's Hollywood retro. The hotel has the advantage of a grand location and ideally situation for amenities. The hotel is spotlessly cleaned and the swimming pool and gardens are a delight. The rooms are a must and to die for re the views. We eat next door and again this Restaurant used to be one of the finest in Sorrento - changed hands sadly. The hotel staff were always pleasant in the circumstances as I was attacked in their Car Park on the steps to the hotel at 1.30 am in the morning trying to access the 24 Reception who was not there or asleep noted they have since got a new one. Sadly, due to this horrific attack I will never return to Sorrento or Italy and I had been going there for over 25 years. Suspiciously they lost the CCTV from that evening.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank NINOKAZ

Travellers are raving about these Sorrento hotels

Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

Hotel certainly not 4* as advertised. Needs reburbishing. .
Food not up to standard expected. Good location as near town. Staff very nice in hotel. Charging 2 euros for pool towels. No tea making facilities or fridge in rooms. Bar area closed early evening.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms quite noisy as on main road. Garden view rooms had noise from local disco.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013

They say there is never a second chance to make a first impression, HOW TRUE!!
From the moment we entered the hotel the young man that was watching me struggle up the front stairs with my case unbelievably worked at the Carlton hotel. However when I eventually got the case up the stairs he of course insisted on taking the case up to the room for his 2 euros tip.
I am quite well travelled and I have stayed in a variety of different hotels, these have all had different star ratings, sometimes the hotel has been on a budget other times I have splashed out as a treat, but I can honestly say this is the WORST HOTEL I have ever stayed in, I don't expect too much when I am travelling as I know star ratings in Europe are very different to the UK and maybe I have been really lucky in my previous experiences,but one thing I can always say is I have always been greeted with a warm smile and at the very least a hello whilst checking in to the hotel. Well I am not going to call them receptionists as they are clearly not, but the ARROGANT,miserable,RUDE, unhelpful women on the front desk clearly hate their jobs so much that it is blatantly obvious , apparently the hotel is an independent hotel maybe they are family members and that they know they can do what they want and there is no one that will challenge their atrocious customer service standards.
Breakfast finishes at 9.30 but please make sure you get down stairs preferably one hour before the end because once it's been put out and its gone it wont be replenished you will notice guests circling around looking what to select to eat, and there isn't anything except boiled eggs if you make it down on time they are the only thing that looks in the remote bit appetising,the toaster is a joke as the toast comes out the same colour it went in even after passing through the toaster 2- 3 times. Do yourself a favour and just go to a local cafe and get yourself something decent to start your day, yes you have paid for it but it is really not worth the hassle and after all is said and done your on your holidays.
Please don't believe the photos on website as they look half decent,what you see is not what you get !!!!!!!
Towels get changed but don't expect the bed linen to be changed as you will be disappointed, pool and bar area dismal. You can't use your iron and there are no ironing facilities they won't tell you at reception but you can buy a local adapter plug from the local deco super market for 3 euro and also something they won't tell you is you don't have to use the taxi they recommend for airport transfer for 100 euro you can get a coach from train station 5 minutes walk away for 10 euro per person.
I Requested to speak to the manager to be perfectly honest my main complaint throughout my stay was the rudeness of the front desk staff and he was unavailable,this actually speaks volumes obviously the manager either doesn't know what his staff are like when he is not on site or he doesn't really care, I have never wrote a review before and felt obliged to do so to save anyone else having a similar experience.
Well this is a little message to the manager and owner of the Carlton International your staff are RUDE arrogant and extremely unhelpful and if it was my business I would send in a mystery guest every couple of months to give me a genuine truthful account and be your ears and eyes when you are not around and to keep everyone on their toes and to get rid of the people that are damaging your business as you are a long way away from being a four star hotel.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Summerhouse99
Ko Pha Ngan, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

the hotel is nice, not too much, but the location is very good!!!
and ENRICO, the night clerk is AMAZING!!!! he is THE BEST!!!!!
such a nice person, best advises EVER! very patient!
Enrico, you made our holiday! thank u!!!!
Sharona and Rony

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank RonyKatz
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2013

Arrived to hotel tierd after travelling with 4month old baby to find there is no ramp for prams or even luggage for that matter, pram had to be carried by my husband up roughly 12 marble steps alone as not once for the whole week we stayed did one member of staff offer to help!!!!god help anyone arriving there in a wheelchair! Then the pram could barley fit in the smallest lift I've ever seen in my life only one of us could go in with pram.We arrive to the room to find no kettle or any facilities for that matter , very basic room more like 2 star keeping in mind it's advertised as 4 star and quotes this on their website 'The Hotel as well as the stunning location in the heart of Sorrento, offers its guests many amenities to ensure a relaxing, comfortable, relaxing and you enjoy it. Our staff is attentive to the needs of all customers, so if you need their help do not hesitate to ask' which is pure lies as the baby was our first priority and needed a bottle made when we arrived as he is formula fed which isn't that unusual my husband ventured back down to reception to see why there was no kettle where he was rudely told they don't provide them due to fires also would not offer to loan us one and basically left him there feeling silly for asking, he got boiling water from the bar and we had to drop everything at 7pm on Sunday and go and find an electrical shop to buy a kettle which was which cost us 60€ and was looking around town for hours!no iron in room either and could not even loan us one due to fires, pool area is completely unkept n gardens overgrown nothing like pictures, location good and rooms kept clean and cleaning staff were only nice staff in whole hotel, terribly run hotel and I am not fussy at all I just expect the basics, but this hotel was worse I've ever stayed in by a mile!!!the thing that annoyed me most is we would not have stayed here had they clearly put on the website no kettle / ramps for prams/wheelchairs as we had to keep taking baby out of pram each time we were approaching steps to carry pram disturbing him from naps etc, when my husband approached the hotel about this and asked what do they do if somebody arrived in a wheelchair he was told 'we don't have people staying in wheelchairs' I rest my case!! Disgraceful !

• Stayed September 2013