“Robbed and rescued by Il Faro”
Review of Hotel il Faro

Hotel il Faro
Ranked #85 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I had the bad experience of a lost or stolen wallet in the Naples train station. I realized this on the train to Sorrento. With no reservations,no cash, and no credit card I showed up at Il Faro in Sorrento. The hotel gave me a room with water view and let me eat in the excellent restaurant for the 50 hours it took visa to replace my card. I hope to return one day. Many thanks to the hotel staff, restaurant staff ,and owner.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank john j

Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

We brought 40 students for a field visit and had a great time. The hotel is in a great location with lovely views over the bay. The steps you have heard about are a short walk up a cobbled access road - coaches can't come down and the hotel transports cases down by minibus - we enjoyed the daily exercise TBH. The rooms are pretty good - for schools they squeeze more beds in (only 6ft long so prepare to curl up) and most have balconies with a sea view. Windows are only single glazed and if I had been less tired, traffic noise would have been an issue. The hot water was not adequate - the system did not cope in any way and unless you were in the first dozen people to try to shower, you settled for cold water. Food was simple but plentiful and tasty. Three courses so check your students aren't eating the pasta soup with a knife and fork! You might want to supplement the packed lunch with a take out pizza or suchlike - (you can get delicious food for under €3 around the main attractions) as they were quite basic. All in all an ideal hotel for trips but I wouldn't come here for a romantic getaway!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank David N
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I came here on a school trip and I was appalled at the state of the rooms. There was 5 of us in a room and we all ended up having to share in the 3 okayish beds together. There was mould on the duvets, stains on the bed sheets and mattress and to all of our disgust we found silverfish bugs in the beds!! The maid would make the beds but she didn't clean them, they were left filthy. The air conditioning was unusable, only hot air came out. Due to this we would have our balcony doors open but the rude, grumpy, unhelpful staff weren't happy with this at all- that unhappy that the owner came up to one of the students room, shouted at her in Italian and grabbed her hand and forced it underneath hot water! What type of place is this?! It definitely needs to be reassessed as it is nowhere near a 3 star hotel. The food was unedible, on one of the nights we were given a 'burger' and chips, the burger was grey and smelt disgusting, and on it was some sort of pool of blood, and we were given 5 chips. It was disgraceful and I wouldn't recommend it at all, every day we had to climb up and down 129 stairs to get into the town to be able to do anything! Everybodys legs were killing after it, along with our backs because of the rock hard mattresses and pillows. Overall the place was a complete dump and I wouldn't even recommend as a last resort, the only thing that I could say is partly good about staying there was the view, and that is all.

• Stayed: February 2014
8  Thank stringybob
GlobRes_18151, Direttore at Hotel il Faro, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Dear Sir or Madam

Many thanks for your reviews, for us is must import havea feel back with our guests,We just want to clarify some aspects, concerning the silverfish in the bed it's not possible sleep for 3 night in the dirty bed with insects. also we are in the winter season, that's why we have the air conditioning are hot, but just you can say to the reception please clore the hot air. In the same time of your school we have other 3 grps, but we haven't same trouble about the foods, in any case we have more request from the school own we give at our guest a good service.

We are more mind for your words, we hope and wish we can have you us guest in the futhure, for show you that the Hotel Il Faro it's different. Also we promise you we give the room with sea view, in this time it was not possible, as there had reserved the room deposit to students..

Best regards

Reviewed 19 September 2013

My sister and I discovered Il Faro two years ago and fell in love with it and Sorrento. So much so it is a place to which we will always return. Il Faro felt like home. We had an amazing view of the sea from our room. The complimentary breakfast was perfect to get our day started. Nestled right in to the cliff the location of Hotel Il Faro felt secluded, but not isolated. There were lovey restaurants right in the marina area should you opt not to go atop to Sorrento. We discovered one of our favorite pasta dishes, fettucine with lemon sauce, at the restaurant in front of the store/merchant area. Peter's Beach was a great place to hang out for a day of sun and sea. I have seen some of the poor reviews about this place and I'm sorry for their experience. Both my sister and I travel extensively and have stayed in many types/grades of accomodations (for work we are both used to upper end chain Hotels, for this type of travel and for mid-range price, I would recommend Hotel Il Faro without hesitation.

Room Tip: Ask for a Seaside view
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank moll0911
Reviewed 14 September 2013

I stayed here because nothing else was available in Sorrento. You should know the location is down by the port, so there are a lot of stairs or a nearby elevator to get up to the main square- Piazza Tasso. However- this is CLOSER than some other hotels that say they are in the center. The staff was very friendly and gave us breakfast to go since we had to get up early for our flight out. There was a little mold in the bathroom. We had to keep the windows open because there was no air conditioning, but the scooters can be really loud, so you won't get any sleep if you're a light sleeper.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Stayed one week in this Hotel in room №511 (double for single use). For me this kind of room comfortable only for one person. The room was enough clean with road and cliff view from small window. Outside was enough loudly. Cleaning was good (especially lady look like Italian).
Breakfast was good and enough different. The staff (young man) during breakfast was very good (kindness and helpfull). Althouh was very good young (blond) man - receiptionist.
Pizza from Vela Blanca restaurant was althouh good (and for me big). Another dishes I did not try (because I'm not strong with Italian cuisine and language(unfortunatly)). And Chef (Vela Bianca) was kindfull. I didn't know that family rules the Hotel. It's good and interesting experience for me.
The Hotel is close to the Beach (Leonelle) and Tasso Square (Up about 250 m) and of course Port (boat to Capri (35E return) and etc). Maybe it's not enough comfortable for retired people?
Next time I will prefer room with sea view.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Guzel2013
Reviewed 16 August 2013 via mobile

We were traveling with friends and had booked a large double room. Somehow we ended up with a queen bed and two singles, which would have been fine, no big deal.... But my single bed really sagged so in the morning I pulled back the covers to discover a torn, disgustingly stained mattress (will try to post a picture - you have to see it to believe it). We took a picture and showed it to the front desk, asking for a new mattress. Their attitude was totally nonchalant - no shock, no apology, no offer of compensation. The mattress was replaced with an equally saggy one, with only one stain!
The air conditioning in our room was totally inadequate.
That being said, the terrace off our room was huge and the view exceptional.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Norma K
GlobRes_18151, Direttore at Hotel il Faro, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2013

Dear Sir or Madam

We are more mind for your words, because after that you have shown us the photo, we have call the manager of housekeep for make the change of mattress, and also we have ask why in that room the matress is dirty.
The trouble was the guest before broken a bottle of red wine,after that they ask during the night a clean sheets & mattress cover, The nightman reporter only the change sheets, not the inconvenience of bottle red wine.In any case we are more mind for this inconvenience, we hope and wish you can remember us for our restaurant, where you enjoy our disk for your full stay, and also for our disposability. About the compensation, we hope and wish we can have you us guest in the futhurewith great discount!!!!!

Best Regards