“School Trip - over half term”
Review of Hotel il Faro

Hotel il Faro
Ranked #85 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We have recently returned from a four night stay at Il Faro. Having stayed with students at a number of other hotels in the Sorrento area, I can confidently say that Il Faro is the best. The student rooms, although quite small, were clean and well appointed, and the staff rooms were very comfortable. We were very impressed to be fed with a warm meal when we arrived at 10pm, and the quality of both breakfasts and dinner continued to be very acceptable to both students and teachers. When one of the students beds broke during the stay, it was replaced promptly and without question. The staff, in reception and in the restaurant were friendly and welcoming. The location of the hotel was ideal for us, in spite of the steps! Will hope to return.

Room Tip: Aim for a sea view if possible.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank SSmithGeog

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We stayed here last August for two nights as part of our honeymoon travels. From the moment we walked through the door the staff were so friendly and helpful. Our spacious double room on the first floor with balcony was such a welcome after our disappointing room in Napoli the previous night. The bathroom was surprisingly big. Everything in its place as you would expect. The room itself was cool throughout the day.

It isn't modern, but it is very clean and comfortable. A well looked after building which is right beside the harbor. Great if you have heavy bags and arrive by ferry! Access to the town above is either by climbing a LOT of steps or taking lift which has been tunneled through the cliff, costs 1euro (i think). Views from the town level are amazing.

Highly recommend Il Faro and would love to have stayed longer.

Room Tip: We got a very good deal on Booking.com ;-)
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ciarafly
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I stayed with a school party over half term. The staff were attentive and very helpful. The two single rooms for Staff members were at the back of the hotel. Both needed a further clean to begin with but were adequate for a five day stay. The rest of the rooms were on the front with sea views. These were spacious even with extra beds in them. The food was good and vegetarians catered for very well. Breakfasts were simple with fresh rolls, jam and a yogurt. Coffee and hot chocolate were delicious.
The staff were brilliant when we needed to take one student to hospital in the night. They ordered a taxi and gave us all the help they could.
Everyone tried to give us a really enjoyable stay. Yes, the location is a long way down from town, but there is an elevator nearby which costs 1euro to take you up to the town if the steps are an issue for you.
Many of the reviews for Il Faro seem quite negative, but I found very little to complain about, except the behaviour of another British school group!
I would certainly stay there with my family, but would request a sea view to get the nicest rooms.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view, the harbour is right outside and the sunsets are beautiful. The second floor roo...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
GlobRes_18151, Direttore at Hotel il Faro, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2014

Dear Guest

We are very glad that you stay at our hotel was nice ... we hope& wish we can haveas our guests as soon as possible.

Many thanks again for your preference.

Best Regards
Pasquale Persico

Reviewed 30 May 2014

This hotel is located on the waterfront in Sorrento - outstanding view. Great for water access, bad for city access unless you like to climb stairs. Not a problem for us but would not recommend for family with young children or those who are not fit. Rooms were average but not outstanding. Quite a bit of road noise throughout the night. We walked up and down several flights of stairs to our room rather than wait on the slow, small elevator. Breakfast was not great but adequate - the man who works the breakfast area is very friendly. Parking was expensive - 60 euros for 3 days. Hotel did offer a great room rate so we were satisfied with what we got for the price.

Room Tip: no pool or gym - plenty of climbing to get up to the city so no gym is needed
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Having stayed at the il faro hotel I would say that it is probably one of the worst hotels I have stayed in. The room was really small (never had such a small room) very old and quite nasty. I paid for a double but got a single. The aircon is only on when the owners want it on which is about 2 hours a day it seems even in the heat of summer. The shower room in my room would spray water over the ceiling (the ceiling was damp and paint coming off) and more concerning over the electrical sockets and lights which made me feel my safety was at risk. Not what I expected for £70 a night. I felt a bit intimidated by the owner. Having said that the location was very beautiful. Although expect to have to walk up a whole load of steps to get to the centre of town. Quite a feat with the mid summer sun beating down. I checked out early. When I upload pictures you will understand my review.

• Stayed: June 2013
6  Thank razzacom
GlobRes_18151, Direttore at Hotel il Faro, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Dear Guest

We are more mind for your words and skeptics that have actually stayed at our hotel, because even after a horrible stay as you described, you do not wait a year to leave a review!!!

Best Regards
Pasquale Persico

Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with my school from the 12th-14th of April 2014. Check-in was quick and easy and our room was spacious even with 4 beds in a twin room. We had a sea view and were on the 3rd floor. Later that evening we went for dinner, it was nice and definitely filled you up. Although I was surprised at management staff being fairly abrupt however, waiting staff were attentive and very polite. After one night we were told to quiten down which is fair enough however, they should have put our school on one floor instead of spreading us out over 2 floors, this would have avoided complaints. From the main Piazza to the hotel were 150 steps which were a killer however, I do believe the hotel offer a 'pick up' service and the hotel did have a mini bus for our suitcases. We had a good supply of hot water and the bathroom was huge. Overall we had a lovely stay and the hotel was fairly central to all our needs.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I had the bad experience of a lost or stolen wallet in the Naples train station. I realized this on the train to Sorrento. With no reservations,no cash, and no credit card I showed up at Il Faro in Sorrento. The hotel gave me a room with water view and let me eat in the excellent restaurant for the 50 hours it took visa to replace my card. I hope to return one day. Many thanks to the hotel staff, restaurant staff ,and owner.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo