“Brilliant!”
Review of Hotel il Faro

Hotel il Faro
Ranked #85 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Reviewed 18 July 2009

Well me and my school of around 40 people stayed in this hotel for 3 nights before heading to Rome. We were greeted and made very welcome. We got help with all our bags and were issued our rooms. Most of the rooms we were given had balconeys which overlook a bueatiful bay. The rooms were clean and cleaned everyday. Our room was very big. It had 4 single beds yet there was more space for another one. We had 2 armchairs and 3 desks, everyone had a bedstand. Big wardrobe. The en suite bathroom was big aswell, the shower worked and it easy to use not alot of things to turn. The food there was great. The breakfast was simple but tasty. The dinner is a really italian feast. We were given a starter which is a plate of paster, a main which is either a meat or fish dish. There was also a vege option and also a dessert.

During the night there is no noise but the area around, up a walk there is a great nightlife. Everyone is nice and plesent, no trouble what so ever. I really enjoyed my stay and would give the hotle more then 3 stars. I recommend it to everyone!!!! I went into friends rooms and they had great rooms to so it wasnt just me!

I definitaly want to go again when i'm older because Sorrento is a fabulous town with great shops and boutiques and cheap things that cost loads in London. :D

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank naylovesu2

Reviewed 11 July 2009

We loved this hotel. We could see Mount Vesuvius from our balcony!!!! As good as any expensive hotel view no doubt. We booked a double and ended up with a huge room with stairs up to a loft with two more rooms - perfect for a family. Great location right at the port to easily catch ferries to Amalfi, Capri, etc. A bit of a walk up the steps in the cliff to the town of Sorrento - but only about 15mins. 20min walk to the Circumvensia (including the steps)- no need for a car. Ask for a room with a balcony and a view - you will get it :) If you want 5 star furnishings and are bugged by a little mold in the corner of the ceiling (20ft ceilings) or in the corners of the tub it's not for you. But for the normal traveler it is AMAZING :) Would go back in a heart beat. The staff was lovely. Cheers!

Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wanderwonderfully
Reviewed 1 July 2009

We booked this hotel on internet earlier this year and thought it sounded nice. When we arrived we were positively surprised. The hotel maybe didn´t have the highest standard but the rooms had an acceptable comfort and it is romanticly situated at the harbour. The personel was friendly and helpsome and the local restuarant in, our view, was very good.

Recommended to travellers that look for small cosy hotels in nice settings.

H.Martensson, Sweden. June 2009

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2009

If I was to make a movie about a person who goes to stay at a terrible hotel ... I would stay at the Il Faro to research it. Otherwise, I would avoid this place. Anyone who has seen the movie the Money Pitt with Tom Hanks would be able to associate this hotel with the comedy in the movie. Its like around every turn, the hotel gets worse and worse.

First of all, I will start by saying that if you stay here, you will most likely encounter lots of noisy high school and college students on group tours. This not only is a problem because of the noise but also because of the crowds of spring break style students hanging out all over the hotel because this is used by one of the largest college group tour companies in the US as a regular hotel in Sorrento.

Second of all, right from the very start, you are met by a giant set of stairs ... a comically giant set of stairs ... that leads from the town to the hotel. Anyone who thinks that this hotel is right in Sorrento has another thing coming. You literally have to go up and down these 100 or so steps to get to the hotel anytime you want to leave town. This is about 100+ feet of steps and if you are scared of heights, there is nothing but a small rail and a hundred foot drop on one side. You will cling to the wall up and down. Forget about doing it in sandals or women with high heels. Even to get to the steps you have to walk down a narrow cobblestone street for about 1/4 mile.

You can take a cab if you'd rather ... or if you have luggage because carrying a shopping bag up and down those stairs feels dangerous ... but some cabs will charge you to take you to the top of the steps and it gets inconvenient paying 2 - 10 Euro everytime you want to go into the town, even though its only a mile ride up a hill.

This hotel is also not in the most picturesque part of Sorrento because it is at the bottom of a cliff. There aren't any of the lemon trees, panoramic views or any of the other things that make Sorrento ... Sorrento! This hotel might cost less, but you really should do yourself a favor and stay at a place that has nice views and a pool. This hotel has more the feel that someone built a hotel in the 1920s at the bottom of a hill where nobody wanted to go and it has not been updated since.

The hotel is pretty shabby. The comforter is old. The bed is hard and looks like something you'd see in an Army barracks. There were bugs in most of the rooms. The lighting was the old kind of flourescent lighting, which combined with the white walls and the blue bed spread made it look like a prison. The bathroom was very small ... one of the smaller bathrooms I've been in when in Europe.

The elevators were a complete joke. They took forever to come up. In the lobby, I was going to the elevator one time (after walking back from town ... a 15 - 20 minute process). I had walked down the 100 steps, braved the long cobblestone street dodging motorcycles and cars racing past me and finally got to the hotel. I was a bit behind the group and the doors started to close. I stuck my arm in to stop them so I could ride up with the rest of the group.

All of a sudden a crazy lady comes running at me from behind the desk like a linebacker. I thought she was going to tackle me. She starts screaming at me in Italian and putting her finger in my face yelling 'No! No! No! No! No!' I had no idea what was going on ... but apparently she was a hotel manager who had seen me stop the doors from shutting on me and taken issue with that. My group was laughing because this lady had freaked out on one of them for some minor infraction in the hotel lobby earlier. She screams at the guests in Italian and is really quite frightening. I ended up having to walk 5 flights of stairs up to my room because the elevators literally take 5 minutes to come back to the lobby once they go to any floor.

We ate dinner at the hotel one night. That was quite an experience. I have had more authentic Italian meals at the Burger King next to the Olive Garden in the US than this restaurant served. Mystery meat would best describe the offering. Mystery meat with microwaved pasta. Also, a lot of the servers here take on the same attitude as the desk clerk who angrily slides your key at you from across the desk or treats you like an idiot when you ask him a question about Sorrento. The staff is very apathetic about the guests and have the attitude of 'leave me alone.' when you have an issue ... yet when there is a problem they scream and huff and puff. Its like something out of a movie.

I really can't emphasize what a bad location this hotel is in ... especially given that Sorrento is such a nice place. If you stay more in the town area, you can walk around until 2 a.m. and people watch. The drinks in Sorrento are really not too expensive compared to other cities and there is a great market to walk around. On the other side is where some of the higher priced hotels are, in a much more quiet area. Those are the more luxurious hotels with a better view, pools, nicer restaurants, etc. If you have the money ... this is the area you want to be staying in. If you like the nightlife more, it would probably be worth it for you to pay a little extra to stay more near the town.

If the Hotel Il Faro were in a small, little village of Italy with nothing to do, it probably wouldn't be a terrible hotel to stay at because at the very least you could laugh at all the craziness of the staff, the loud noise from the groups of spring break type high school and college kids and how outdated and rough the accomodations are. Its almost like staying at a hotel in the 1940s before cleanliness of hotels became important. You won't get shampoo ... only little soaps. You won't have a comfortable bed, clean looking bedding or even bedding you would want to use. No air conditiong (that works anyways). But you will probably have a whole book full of stories about what a bad hotel this is to make your friends amused when you come back and talk about your vacation to Sorrento.

If you are on a budget and have to stay here ... my advice is to make the best of it and drink plenty of Lemoncello, which Sorrento is famous for making. There are docks next to the hotel and one or two restaurant/bars, which close early. But if you have children, plan on wearing sandals or heels or are afraid of heights, plan on saving some extra money for a cab ride into the town square (which is amazing to sit in and people watch) because the stairs/street to get there from the hotel are a complete joke. You'll laugh if you end up staying here and you see the stairs for yourself.

• Stayed: April 2009
3  Thank LovinHotelLife
Reviewed 12 August 2008

My wife and I really enjoyed our stay. Our room was clean, comfortable and spacious. The breakfast was very good and started early (7:30am) which allowed us to make the most of our days. The owner was very nice and his staff was very helpful. The ferries to Capri and other Amalfi towns are literally across the street. I

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Boston1979
Reviewed 24 July 2008

We, a party of 4 people in 2 doubles, spent 4 nights at Hotel Il Faro in Sorrento, Italy between the 14th thru the 17th July. The experience was terrible. The hotel is old, not have been renewed for years and though it is offered as 3 stars hotel it would be equivalent to a youth hostel.
Poor ambience, the restaurant in the basement is bad and more expensive than the ones located in the ity centre. When you arrived to the hotel you receive wrong info telling that the area is closed frm 7pm to 7 am so you feel you are obliged to stay there and eat in that restaurant. Only when we made a complaint we were given the actual info.
The breakfast though it is advertised as buffet, you finf that it is a coffe, coloured water and 2 toast, plus some bread or if you are lucky a croissant.

2  Thank Neptun0
Reviewed 21 July 2008

Il faro is a very old fashioned hotel, could do with a makeover the food isn't great either meals are very poor and in the morning a bread roll yummy no cold meats or anything, water they serve at dinner is tap water, to get the sorrento town there is about 104 steps. The air conditioning was hanging off the wall, Non of the funiture in the room matches we had a red camp bed and two leather beds, Random?, The wardrobe in the room was smelt very musty so unpacking wasn't a problem, the bathroom the shower only went freezing cold or boiling hot so cold showers all week, reception staff we're polite and nice but the restuarant staff we're miserable and stressy. But sorrento town itself is beautiful and so is Italy. Chow:)

• Stayed: July 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank hiyaaaaaaa