“Second visit in a beautiful hotel in a beautiful location!”
Review of Antiche Mura Hotel

Antiche Mura Hotel
Ranked #10 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“Second visit in a beautiful hotel in a beautiful location!”
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

This was our second time staying in Antiche Mura in sorrento and we had a wonderful time. The hotel is set in a perfect location and is beautiful. The staff is friendly and helpful especially Mario who we found to be so helpful in both our visits.

Stayed June 2014
4 Thank Jack C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (403)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Chicago
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

I came here with my family for a 3 night stay in Sorrento. It was amazing. The staff was cheerful and friendly, and they helped us book a excursion to Positano. The breakfast buffet has a very nice selection of pastries, fruit, bread and rolls. Our room had a double bed and a single bed to the side, with a couch-like bed as well. The wifi was excellent and there was a bottle of champaign waiting in our room on arrival. The only thing negative that I have to say about our stay here is that when we booked our Positano excursion, we were told that a car would pick us up from the hotel at 10:30. We had just gotten back from breakfast at 9:40 and we were getting ready when the front desk rang us and told us that the departure time was actually 9:30, so we had to rush to get to the car. Other than that, we had a fantastic time and would come back again.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank jemmsky
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Love the staff and service of this Place! Great pool surrounded by lemon trees.
Rooms were perfect. Very clean! Bed was great! Very quiet for being so close to all the action! The staff even brought me a dvd player with many different movies to play..

Room Tip: Go for the suite, great size and very comfertable
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 4 July 2014

This was by far our favorite hotel on our trip. Each room had a chilled bottle of Prosecco upon arrival. A very wonderful and professional staff. We had a com fort room on the second floor facing the street and it was very quiet with the balcony doors closed. The electric shutters blocked out the light for a good night's sleep. Our friends were also on the 2nd floor, so at night we brought a bottle of Chianti on the outside deck on the 2nd floor and watched the people as we drank our wine. Our favorite part was the swimming pool in the lemon and orange grove. Lots of shade or lots of sun, our choice. There was a nice breeze blowing in the afternoon and sitting under a lemon tree while reading my book was such a treat. Then there was the singing bar waiter named Mario. He really enjoys his job and makes everyone feel special.
The hotel was only a block from the main square in Sorrento so it was in a great location. Antiche Mura means antique wall, which was the wall that went down to a very deep gorge that was beautifully overgrown with trees and shrubs nearly hiding the ancient buildings below.
The breakfast buffet included smoked salmon, champagne and 3 different types of cooked eggs.

Room Tip: Rooms in the front were good for people watching. Rooms around the pool were quiet, but you would ha...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Diane A
NY NY
Reviewed 3 July 2014

The Antiche Mura is in an excellent location, about half a block from Piazza Tasso, which means the hotel gets virtually none of the noise from that very busy area, but you’re just a few steps from all the shops, restaurants, and other conveniences.

The excellent experience and service at the Antiche Mura started well before our arrival, when I exchanged several e-mails with Michele Savarese to first request a quiet room with a good view, and then to arrange for car services and a tour. He was very responsive and helpful, and made us feel like we had made a good choice in selecting the Antiche Mura

We chose to upgrade from the ‘Standard’ room to a ‘Comfort’ room. The room we were assigned was on the 3rd floor and on the side of the hotel, with a wonderful view. Since our room did not face the street, and was not over the garden/pool it was very quiet. Given that the rooms are tiled, and not carpeted, we were somewhat afraid that we’d hear a fair amount of noise, but we were pleasantly surprised.

The room seemed a bit small (compared to rooms in the US), but seems in keeping with hotel room sizes generally found in Europe), but has a ceiling I estimate at least 12 feet high. The room had a queen size bed, plus what I would call a day bed to accommodate a third person in the room, desk, desk chair, guest chair, a bureau with 4 drawers, wall mounted flat screen TV, minibar and a small balcony with two chairs and a table. Instead of a closet, the room had wardrobe (with those hotel anti-theft hangars) which also held the room safe (on the small side, it just fit my very small laptop).

The balcony door had a plastic shade on the exterior of the glass, that ran top to bottom, and was raised/lowered by using a button at the desk or bedside. While I believe the shade is there to block the afternoon sun from making the room too hot, it does a great job of keeping the room very dark for sleeping. The room had excellent lighting with a ceiling chandelier, a desk lamp, and wall scones on each side of the bed. I think my only real complaint about the room itself is that it did not have any type of clock, but the wake-up calls we asked for came reliably.

The bathroom had a toilet, bidet, tub/shower, hair dryer, and sink. The water pressure was adequate, but nothing great. The shower included a standard shower-head, a hand-held shower-head, as well as 6 mini jets that sprayed water.

The air conditioning worked very well – particularly important since it was on the warm wide during most of our stay.

There didn’t seem to be a whole lot of electrical outlets (two by desk, one in bathroom), but it was sufficient for our needs. The wall by the desk also had a powered USB jack that we made excellent use of for charging our phones. The Wifi was free, but each device gets its own login id/password. There was a card on the desk in the room with four-sets of IDs and passwords, which was fine for us.

This was the first hotel I stayed in where you were required to insert the key-card into a panel inside the room in order to have the lights go on. I guess this is a way to save electricity (since the lights won’t be on when you’ve taken the key-card and left the room).

The breakfast buffet (I think included with all rooms rates) is excellent and includes oranges from the garden that you can use in the juice press to make incredibly fresh squeezed orange juice. The buffet had an assortment of pastries, fruits, cereals, bacon and eggs. To be honest, I’m not sure the restaurant is open for meals besides breakfast. But with so many great restaurants just steps away, I’m not sure why you’d want to eat at the hotel (and I can understand why the hotel chose not to compete). You could have breakfast delivered to the room, but we didn’t try it

I’d read about the pool and garden in the reviews, and really didn’t think we’d make use of them during our stay, but I found the garden (with bar) to be a great place to relax and unwind after being out for the day for our sightseeing. The lemon granite drinks are great (especially with a bit of vodka) and are made with lemons from the trees you are sitting under.

We made several arrangements through the hotel for transportation and tour-guide services. These included pick-up at in Naples (where Michele Costa was our driver), a 5-hour tour of Positano and the Amalfi coast (where Francisco Savarese was top-notch and is highly recommended), and Tommaso Lentino drove us for our return trip to Napoli. All of the above were private (no other guests or tourists) and were done in air-conditioned Mercedes minivans. It’s also worth noting that these charges were just added to the hotel bill so we could pay for them via credit-card. We can’t say enough about Francesco and our 5-hour tour of Positano and the Amalfi coast. We asked for him specifically based on other Trip Advisor reviews, and we were very happy that he was available for us.

At the last minute (like 2 hours in advance) we also asked for a private tour of Pompeii. The hotel arranged for Giorgio Ursumando to meet us at the ruins. Giorgio’s tour was excellent and was quite a history lesson. He seemed to know all the staff at Pompeii, and was so knowledgeable that other visitors were coming up to him to ask him questions from time to time. We were told it was a 2-hour tour, but he gave us 3 hours. For some reason, when we checked out, the hotel asked to pay for Giorgio’s tour (as well as the taxes on the room) in cash.

There’s no sort of shop in the hotel itself for newspapers, candy, or any last minute necessities (like toothpaste), but there’s a small market directly across the street, and anything you might possibly need you can find within a few minutes’ walk from the hotel in shops in and around Piazza Tasso.

The hotel is very nicely decorated, and is kept spotlessly clean. It’s a beautiful hotel with a touch of old-world charm that treats its customers very well, and is in a truly great location. The staff was very friendly and very helpful for recommendations, directions, and helping to arrange sightseeing

If I return to Sorrento, I would want to book my stay at the Antiche Mura

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Brian11375
Santa Clarita, California
Reviewed 2 July 2014

The Antiche Mura is one of the most lovely hotels I've ever visited. It's just off the mail Piazza in Sorrento and yet is a haven, quiet and serene! The property is gorgeous, both inside and out. It appears to have been a stunning Villa at some point. The lobby is beautiful and elegant. My 14 yr old grandson and I had a Junior Suite which was immense. We had a gorgeous view through massive windows of the gorge which runs through the town. The sound of happy birds chirping in the trees was delightful. (We also had a lovely, large private terrazzo to ourselves.) Breakfast was served in a marvelous solarium, again, with a fabulous view; or if you preferred, you could eat in the garden adjacent. There was abundant, delicious food for breakfast, hot and cold. I could have sat in that room all day. The garden has the feeling of another time. There are citrus trees, heavy with fruit as well as the lovely flowers, bougainvillea, etc. The pool is simply lovely with abundant, comfortable lounges. There is a snack bar by the pool that my grandson and I had lunch at one day. The food was beautifully prepared and delicious. (I had expected packaged sandwiches-hah!) I was only sorry that it closed a 7 pm. Every member of the staff was friendly and helpful and truly fun to talk to. They were unbelievably patient as I would listen while they answered the same questions from guests over and over and over again as if no one had every brought the subject up before! I think that I was one of the guests who repeated such questions). They made restaurant suggestions (and reservations which were necessary in Sorrento) which were spectacular! Their suggestions never missed. And if the Antiche Mura made a reservation for you, you got a lovely table! I am hoping to go back to Sorrento one day. Trust me---this is the only hotel that I would consider or recommend!

Room Tip: The Junior Suite we had (I think there are only three) was worth every penny. I think it was room nu...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Michelle H
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This hotel deserves it very high ratings. Stayed 4 nights in one of the annex buildings at the rear of the hotel across from the pool. Room was not large but very adequate and peaceful. Breakfast every day was outstanding with large array of pastries. Lunch by the pool was excellent in the small shady area with several tables. Top location, easy walk to lots of restaurants and shops. Have a drink in the lobby lounge, perhaps the most professional bartender in Italy.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple