“Hotel Antiche Mura Excellent!”
Review of Antiche Mura Hotel

Antiche Mura Hotel
Ranked #9 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 26 July 2009

Recently my wife and 2 friends stayed 2 nights at the lovely Hotel Antiche Mura in Sorrento.

This hotel offers an excellent location just 2 blocks from Sorrento's main Piazza Tasso so you can walk everywhere. The hotel is small but elegant. Staff is friendly and provides superb service. There is a large
and lovely breakfast room providing a very nice array of items. Finally, the pool is beautiful set among a grove of lemon trees with bar service and many lounge chairs. We highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,376)

Reviewed 24 July 2009

When we booked rooms at the Antiche Mura we knew it was a bit of a splurge. But when we got to the room, we were truly surprised at how beautiful and truly elegant the rooms were. Glass walls with electric blinds, etc. Wow!

The staff was very pleasant and helpful. Even Frank, the driver they sent to pick us up was awesome. Breakfast was gorgeous, the pool very nice. The bartender at the poolside bar was a riot.

Though they didn't have a restaurant, they arrange for a restaurant up in the hills to pick us up and bring us back. The ride back with the 5 of us PLUS the driver in a 3 wheeled motorcycle thingy is the stuff of legend.

I would go back here in a second. In fact... maybe I will.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 July 2009

What a delightful hotel with an even better staff. We stayed 3 nights at Antiche Mura and could not have been more pleased with everything. It was perfectly located in Sorrento just off the square; easy walking distance to everything. The staff is what makes any great hotel and this one has one of the best. We stayed at the Westin in Rome and they could learn a few lessons from the people who work here. From the pool bar to reception, we can not say enough good things. The room we booked was perfect just off of a lovely pool area surrounded with lemon and orange trees. The breakfast in the morning (included in the room price) featured a huge selection of pastries, eggs, meats and fresh fruit. It was the perfect hotel for our trip.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank White1220
Reviewed 15 July 2009

I have been to Italy before,but never experienced such a wonderful hotel.We did upgrade to comfort room.(which was fantastic!)The employees all spoke English without making you feel bad that you were not speaking their language.All were helpful and polite.My favorite employee Michelle,from England was superb.She had wonderful ideas for sightseeing.The breakfasts were fantastic.I became addicted to fresh pressed oranage juice.I now own a juicer!Sorrento is a beautiful town.Everyone should see.Just walk and explore and you will find many good restaurants near the hotel.Day trip to Capri and Positano were fun.I would return in a heartbeat.

,Barbara New York

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 July 2009

I agree with all the good comments about the Antiche Mura (say it 'antee-kay myura'). The name means "old walls" and that is exactly where the hotel is located, above the ancient Greek and Roman walls, just about 50 yards from Piazza Tasso, the main square. The staff are friendly and professional, our room was smallish but very nice, with a small but useful balcony that overlooked the old walls. Breakfast is excellent with a choice of everything from eggs and bacon to cheeses and fruit; there is even a do-it-yourself fresh squeezed orange juice machine. The pool area in the garden is a lovely spot to spend an hour reading after a day of sightseeing.

My only criticism is that the water pressure was quite low in the shower, but if that's the worst thing I can think of you know I liked the place! And well I should have -- it isn't cheap.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2009

That's how our 11 year old daughter described the Antiche Mura. We spent three glorious nights at this hotel and were not disappointed. We had a large triple room (Room 204) with a private patio. The room had beautiful inlaid wooden furniture, tiled flooring, a murano glass chandelier and a gorgeous bathroom with marble countertop. The Antiche Mura has a lovely tiled pool surrounded by lemon trees. It was great to relax by the pool after a trip to Capri or the Amalfi coast.

The hotel is centrally located one block from the Piazza Tasso. It's a short walk to wonderful restaurants and shopping and a walk down the steps to the port. Our room was extremely quiet even though the hotel is so near the town center. The parking was very reasonable (10 euros per night) adjacent to the hotel. There was free Wi-fi in the lobby and the pool area. The breakfast was the best we had in Italy with eggs (scrambled & poached), breads, bacon, cured meats, wonderful baked goods, fresh squeezed orange juice, etc.

Beyond the beauty of the hotel, the staff was wonderful and gave us great advice. They gave us the name of a wonderful family-friendly restaurant near the hotel. They were aware of the weather & traffic conditions and recommended the best days for our Capri (Blue Grotto) and Amalfi Coast trips. Overall, it was a wonderful time and I hope that we can make it back there soon.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank jerseygirl5555
Reviewed 7 July 2009

This is my first day back from Sorrento and I can’t rave enough about how beautiful our stay in hotel Antiche Mura and our wedding day in Villa Antiche Mura were. A real fairytale wedding with fantastic views... A stunning, picturesque, exquisite, charming wedding; exactly how I had imagined it... All the guests were awed and had a wonderful romantic time.

Hotel:
We stayed for 10 days in Hotel Antiche Mura. The location and the cleanness are the biggest forte of this hotel! It’s more of a boutique hotel rather than a big luxurious hotel. I didn’t like the lobby decoration and believe that the chairs require an update. Also there is only lunch restaurant and dinners are not served there. The biggest forte about this hotel is the service and personal, then the location, and then the charm. The biggest cons for this hotel is lack of water view.

Wedding:
Villa Antiche Mura belongs to Hotel Antiche Mura and is on top of a cliff with direct water views. The villa is very well groomed and has huge terraces on water, giving one the opportunity to use them for different functions during the reception.
The villa is managed by Michele Saverese, who also is the manager of the hotel. He has great taste and access to local vendors and coordinated all my wishes. I didn’t have any other wedding coordinator beside him.
As per my request, the whole reception decoration was in yellow and white as the wedding theme was “Lemon”. The bridesmaids dresses were matched with the ribbons used on the tables and the decoration with the view in the background was so stunning that almost all my guests made the comment that this was by far the nicest wedding they have ever seen.
Aperitif:
Amazing, amazing, amazing. Awesome delicious finger food and a lot of them. Rossini, Bellini, spumante, white wine and beer flowing. Our guests loved the aperitif selection. They had meat, cheese, small pizzas, small delicious bread with tomato, olive and other dressings. All beautifully done. In my career I go to these big functions a lot and looking at our aperitif food selection and how it was being served and I can assure you that it was a 5 star gala dinner quality.
Dinner:
Wow! I sat there and looked around at my guests and the table set up right on water and thought to myself, this is heaven... The view, the food, the table set up, etc.... They listened to every detail I had asked for and believe me, I can be very picky and difficult. The yellow ribbons matching my bridesmaids dresses and the lemon centre pieces and beautifully wrapped wedding favours, silver expensive looking cutlery and beautiful plates... everything was perfect! Then the food came... We chose 3 course meals and Michele was wonderful as he gave our guests 5 choices for their main food (chicken, roast beef, Sea bass, Vegetarian and Vegan). The vegetarian people had different appetizer and main course and the Vegan dishes were delicious but strictly vegan! Our guests felt very special that all their food preferences were remembered. Michele had a list of names and food options and walked around all the time to make sure everyone is getting the right thing and is happy. Considering I had 75 guests, this was a complicated procedure... All food arrived together and hot. The lasagne (non vegetarian main course) was the winner with Sea bass coming second. The roast beef wasn’t very popular though as the meat is served cold with a hot sauce. The dinner was a hit. It was beautiful and the food was delicious! Wine was good and flowing. The servers were awesome and very attentive. Michele was a star and visited each guest personally. Our cake was lemon taste and I sent a picture to Michele and he made the cake EXACTLY like the picture. I was amazed how nice they did that.

All and all we had a memorable, stunning, picturesque, exquisite, charming wedding and I am really sad that it’s over!!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple