“Ideal central location, pleasant clean small hotel”

Hotel Villa Di Sorrento
Ranked #77 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Reviewed 17 July 2012

Picked for its ideal location metres off the main Tasso Square, on a tree lined avenue offering welcome shade outside the hotel door in mid 30 temps.Main bus and Circumvesuviana rail station about a five minute walk away. All Sorrento attractions within easy walking distance. Rooms small but well kept and very clean.Small bathroom well kept. Air con super, balcony did have view of the sea but as stated in other reviews more of a feature ,unsuitable for sitting on but you could open up the doors and sit at. Breakast more than adequate continental style. Staff all pleasant and helpful, would especially note Mario the night receptionist,who was most pleasant and helpful.Wifi available in room on obtaining access codes from reception staff.Overall very pleasant one week stay

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sbmyork
francesco1854, Proprietario at Hotel Villa Di Sorrento, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2012

Thank you very much for your kind review. Hope to see you again at villa di sorrento

Reviewed 16 July 2012

My wife and I stayed for week at the hotel as part of a Newmarket package deal. We had a terrible journey with many delays in 37c-40c heat taking 12+ hours. So when we arrived eventually at the hotel we were greeted, efficiently, quickly and very, very quietly.
Our room was number 11 which if you look at the photo of the hotel is immediately over the entrance. The excellent air conditioning was on which was fabulous as we were a little frazzled by the journey. The room was spotless clean and remained so by the excellent room service with sheets and towels changed as required.
The room was possibly the smallest room we have ever stayed in with a bathroom to match but just usable and comfortable. Storage was adequate for an overnight stay or up to a week but no more if you are a couple. There is a flat screen tv which has 3 English speaking programs BBC, SKY and CNN news.
There was no fridge which we began to miss for cool drinks through the night.
No tea/coffee making facilities. We knew this beforehand from previous reports but chose to go out for refreshments instead.
The main attraction of the Villa is its position. Smack in the centre of Sorrento this was perfection. This makes it noisy but we came to enjoy being amongst the throng as you might say. I managed to get an antique looking dining chair (which I would liked to have owned) onto the balcony in the evening after 7pm. This is the time when the roads are closed to traffic and people can walk freely on the roads ( La Passeggiata), which we also took advantage of being in the centre of town, fabulous. When in the room at night close the windows and shutters and the noise disappears.
The hotel is only B&B. This is written on the tin and the hotel does not proclaim anything else. The breakfast for the first 3 days was limited. Then thereafter it doubled in size and variation, I don’t know why but was pleased.
If you are starving there is the Aurora Pizza literally next door. I used the take away for under 10euros great pizza - watch it being cooked in the large oven.
We did eat out in the evening and throughout the day, liquid intake in the heat was essential. A good menu is to be had at ‘Buon Convento’ on via Donnorso opposite to ‘The Corner Shop’at reasonable prices.
Rita’s confectionery shop on the main street near the bus station has everything you want for a snack/take away.
If you want to impress your wife/partner go to Ristorante O’Parrucchiano on the Corso Italia. Go in the back way as it is a fabulous sight from a very simple entrance This offers a good menu and an extensive wine list with tables amongst the lemon trees, one fell on my head so they are real. We paid 60 euros so not over the top.
Do go on the Red Bus this is fabulous so much so we went on it twice at 12 euros each it is a must.
Get the local Sita bus to Amalfi at 7 euros approx each return, don’t get on if there are no seats standing up is not an option to go for.
Yes I would use the Villa Di Sorrento again if I go to Sorrento for convenience and cleanliness.

Room Tip: I did not see any of the other rooms, if there are larger rooms probably on the higher floors they w...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank AlanC470
Reviewed 11 July 2012

Stopped for a week. Booked as part of a Newmarket Holidays package. A view on this hotel depends on what you're looking for. It has no pool or outside sitting area so is not good for a relaxing break. However, if you're looking for a base to explore Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast then it's ideal.

Our room was 2 x single beds, wardrobe, drawers, flat-screen tv. Tiny balcony overlooking the street, barely big enough to get a chair on and certainly not any use for sitting on. It's more an architectural feature than a useable balcony. Excellent shower room/toilet. Unfortunately, no fridge.

Aircon was excellent - one of the best we've ever experienced. Shutters superb: they cancelled out every bit of street noise and made the room very quiet at night.

The breakfast room is small. Breakfast was adequate rather than generous.

The room was cleaned every day. Reception staff were unfailingly pleasant and helpful.

From the hotel door it was 30 paces to Sorrento's main square; a 5 minute walk to the bus and train station.

One thing to note, the brochure gives the indication that there are rooms with large balconies/terrace areas and other Trip advisor entries have made reference. We certainly didn't manage to get one and, I suspect, from the layout of the hotel there may only be 1 such room.

We warmed to the place by the end of the week as a good base.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TheScullys
Management response:Responded 16 July 2012

Thank you very much for the review, I really appreciate

Reviewed 6 July 2012

I stayed here recently because of the location and value I got with my package deal, after reading reviews initially I was abit spectical about what to expect, the location is perfect smack in the middle of Sorrento so I went for it on arrivial I got booked in perfect the only problem I had was the aircon not working! and no fridge! with a little laungage barrier after the first day my aircon was working and i had a fridge:) the staff are very friendly after your first incouter with them, the breakfast was ok could be improved slightly, after reading other reviews about there not being someone at front of house all the time you have to rember its a small family run hotel and the staff are either in the ajoining office or in the kitchen is all it takes is a hello upon entering but the clenlyness is A1 on a couple of occasions I brought a pizza back for a late night snack and they was more than happy to let me use the louge etc, Iv'e recomended this hotel to my family who are going to use it on my recomendation and I will be using it my self in the near feauture again! the only let down was I wasnt able to use the roof terrace

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Luke0586
Reviewed 1 July 2012

Diana and I stayed at the Villa di Sorrento for a week, and were delighted with the friendly and courteous service we received at the Villa di Sorrento. The location could not have been better - we were right there in the centre of the city, so close to to the bars and resaurants. We would happily recommend the hotel....it's just a pity that new visitors won't get that same excitement we had when the place went wild with Italy's Euro 2012 success. If you are visiting Sorrento, be sure to stay at the villa di Sorrento.

Room Tip: Front of hotel is good, with plenty of atmosphere from the streets
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 9 July 2012

thank you very much for your kind review !! Unfortunatly we lose the final .....
Hope to see you again at Villa di Sorrento

Reviewed 17 June 2012

As others have said, the position is great with all amenities close by so it was easy to explore the town on foot as well as taxi if you need one. Bus and Train station within a 5-10 minute walk too so you can get anywhere easily. It does not pretend to be 5 star so the complaints seem a bit harsh. The rooms were very clean and well serviced, staff are friendly and do their most to be helpful - when we left a bag behind in the hotel they sent a staff member on a scooter to chase our bus on the way to the airport and he wouldn't take anything in recompense.

I enjoyed the cockerel - it's great to have a bit of local colour even in the middle of town! And it was only a bantam, not a full sized cockerel judging by the volume and pitch of its voice. Relax.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Hugh R
francesco1854, Proprietario at Hotel Villa Di Sorrento, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2012

I really appriciate your review, many thanks also for the comments on the " Cockerel", it's nice to see that someone appreciates our local color....

Reviewed 2 June 2012

We stayed in this hotel twice during April 2012, as we used Sorrento as a transport hub for the Amalfi Coast. Our expectations of Sorrento, based on most travel guides, were not high but we were pleasantly surprised. The hotel is right in the centre of town, less than 5 mins walk to the charming old quarter, 8-10 mins walk to the station and 10-15 mins walk to the port. The elevator is the smallest we encountered in Italy (just enough room for 2 people and luggage) but our room was clean and spacious.

We had a mix up with our booking which we changed before we left home but the hotel did not have a record of this change. Nonetheless, we sorted this out and were not charged. The staff are friendly and the breakfast is good. For the price, this hotel is outstanding value, particularly compared with hotels on the Isle of Capri, just 30 mins away by ferry.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
francesco1854, Proprietario at Hotel Villa Di Sorrento, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2012

Thank you for your nice reviews! I hope to see you again at Villa di Sorrento 1854