“Dissointed”
Review of Hotel Tourist

Hotel Tourist
Ranked #79 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Reviewed 2 September 2014

On arrival at the hotel we were told that someone was staying an extra night in our room and they put us in the sister hotel round the corner for one night. The sister hotel was awful!! No balcony and very dark and gloomy, they also charged for wifi. I felt we had been cheated as I had paid for a room with a balcony and free wifi, we felt we were paying for someone else to stay in our room at the tourist hotel whilst we were slumping it!
Next day on return to the tourist hotel we were given our room, far better than the one in the other hotel, it was clean and bright with a view of the pool, the shower was very small and in desperate need of a face lift, that night I had a shower and the shower door fell inwards on top of me ( very dangerous!) we told reception and the next day it had been fixed, but not properly! Bed was very hard and had a lumpy mattress, the sheets were not changed at all in the week we were there which is bad for a hotel. We stayed b&b and the breakfast was continental and a good choice, the Nutella croissants were delicious !!!
We spent every other day at the pool using the pool bar for drinks and snacks, the pool attendant and snack bar attendant worked long hours but was very moody, he also got mixed up over bills, he overcharged me by €10 and tried to charge me twice for 2 coffees! Most of the time the staff were moody and miserable... Even though we always smiled and said good morning to them.
The morning we checked out was awful!!! We went down to reception to check out and the night manager/ reception guy wasn't there, a few other people were also waiting to check out, a waiter from the restaurant came out and asked people if they wanted coffee and breakfast, I said "yes please" ( we had paid for this) the waiter said " not you!" And told me to wait and check out. Eventually the night manager came I gave him the keys and he slammed his hand down and shouted CITY TAX! ..... I paid him and he slammed my change on the desk! We then went in for breakfast and left.
How rude!!! Not even a thank you! And after all they had put us through, we were only ever nice to the staff. We will never again go back to this hotel as the staff are down right RUDE!
Next time we will return to the ascot hotel, lovely place and lovely staff.

Room Tip: A room in another hotel
1  Thank Terrina186377

Reviewed 31 August 2014

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Hotel Tourist, our room was spacious and clean. The hotel itself was nice, and it's location was great. I would definately return to hotel tourist if I was looking for an affordable hotel to stay in again whilst in Sorrento. Only fault, the juice at breakfast was vile, only two options, pineapple and grapefruit which were disgusting. It made eating the dry breakfast cake extremely difficult.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

I found the hotel well above a three star level, good position, just five mins walking to centre of Sorrento, even though it was fully booked during our stay, i found the staff very helpful and pleasant, all spoke a different level of English, but we had no problem getting our message across, rooms were very clean and good air-conditioning, breakfast was well catered for all tastes, hot/cold,bread,fruit, and if you are like the Italians something for that sweet tooth, nice pool, my only gripe was that the sunbeds were taken before breakfast, and some of the early bird towel placers did not come back till after lunch leaving empty beds,maybe a few more beds would be nice, we had a problem with our credit card on leaving, but the manger was ...really, really, helpful, and sorted it out, we got a chance to stay in three rooms of the hotel tourist, first was a mix up, on our arrival, it was a nice big room but without a balcony that we had booked, but the next morning we were moved into a even larger with a very large balcony, a highlight was having a cuppa watching Italian driving at its best !!! a few days latter we were asked very per lightly if we could help buy moving into a smaller room on the same floor, as they wanted ours for a three bedded, this was over looking the pool, much better as it was lovely and quite, having early morning/afternoon tea.....
Summing up, try and get as high as possible, on the front for lively view at the back for piece and quite

Room Tip: Try and get A room with balcony, as high as possible, on the front for lively view at the back for p...
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I wasn't sure about this hotel when we first arrived, but the staff were nice enough and our rooms were a nice size. The location was very central and we were only a short walk away from everything we needed.
The beds were comfy enough, with a good air con system and we navigated our way to the pool with two kids quickly enough.
We enjoyed our first dinner and the menu and the two waiters in there were fab and friendly all week. We enjoyed every meal, every night.
The noise levels of our room(104) seemed ok most nights, but unfortunately there were lots of sirens going past on some days(and nights) which disturbed even the deepest sleeper.
We enjoyed the bank holiday festivities and everything put out by the staff, they really went all out for this and it paid off, we could only enjoy this for a short amount of time due to an early excursion the next day though.
There were also some very loud, rude and ignorant residents of the hotel on one particular night, who very rudely disturbed a lot of people in the other rooms and on several floors, but the hotel management dealt with these promptly and without much fuss.
My greatest disappointment is that I appear to be missing a necklace which I placed next to the sink in our room's bathroom, which wasn't there when I returned to my room. I had taken this off due to sunburn irritation and I stupidly did not put this away in the room safe or in my padlocked suitcase. I have of course searched my belongings since my return home and I have not found it. Combine this with the fact that our 14 euro bar tab miraculously jumped to 31 euros upon leaving, I am left a little suspicious. We did sort the tab before we left, but nothing I can really do about the jewellery I left unattended in my room.

Room Tip: Keep your items locked away. Choose a higher level room, we were first floor and sometimes struggle...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank lornalion
Reviewed 20 August 2014

We stayed 4 nights in Sorrento at the Hotel Tourist. Breakfast was good (both hot and cold alternatives were provided every day). The juice was disgusting, but everything else worked just fine. Dishes changed a little from day to day, but yoghurt/cereal and bread were always there. The pool wasn't very big but it was absolutely enough. After spending a whole day out in the sun, going for a quick swim felt amazing. Walking distance to the city centre with a lot of good restaurants. Rooms were clean and staff helpful.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Amanda E
Reviewed 15 August 2014

For situation, value for money, helpfulness of staff, couldn't be bettered. We travelled to Sorrento from Glasgow by coach with Caledonian Travel/National Holidays - a very long haul but well worth it taking in Florence, Rome, Monte Cassino, Fuiggi and Montecatini Terme. The hotel has six floors but a fast lift. Food was perfectly OK with a good choice, rooms clean and changed every day and there was a surprise Gala Night with a free drink, extra courses and a 'parade' of the veal to be served complete with sparklers! Ask for a room 4th floor or above as the views are good and though there is a railway line at the back of the hotel you rarely hear train noise. Very easy access to Capri, Pompeii, Vesuvius, Naples and anywhere on breathtaking Amalfi Coast. Oh, free wifi!

Second time we've been and would go again tomorrow!

BP (Glasgow)

Room Tip: Ask for Room 601. Only room on the floor and a MASSIVE almost 360 degrees roof terrace - with extra...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bob p
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We stayed at the Hotel Tourist in Sorrento 06/06/2014 to 13/06/2014 and had our best holiday yet staying here was excellent, the people were very friendly and we felt most wellcome, Hotel Tourist is central you are literally in the heart of it all 5 mins from the bustling streets and cobbled areas of the town - amazing place, Sorrento is beautiful offering so much, you will also be 5 mins from the train/bus station. You must take a trip around using the city train which was great fun. A boat trip to the island of Capri cost 25 euros which was amazing and booking it yourself like we did in the town will save you a heap of money, we also took a bus trip to the Amalfi Coast costing 8 euros each which was well worth a visit - I have no hesitation in recommending Hotel Touist, the pool is excellent, staff are excellent and 3 course meal every evening was excellent along with the breakfast of course - 100 out of 100 and we will be staying here again as we didnt have enough visiting time to see everything.

Room Tip: Rooms were excellent 100 out of 100, clean and tidy, you are in the heart of it so expect town noise...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple