“Great view of Sorrento”
Review of Hotel Miramare

Hotel Miramare
Ranked #70 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Reviewed 18 July 2012

We booked this hotel months ago based on the Trip advisor reviews. We could not have asked for a better location in this beautiful town. Our room overlooked the town and bay and the view was magnificent. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We had a car and the hotel parking was great. We drove to Positano one day along the Amalfi Coast drive and it was a great drive. Great hotel in a great location, loved it and would go back tomorrow.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dean G

Reviewed 7 July 2012

We stayed here for 6 nights in the one bedroom family apartment. Very pleased with the hotel and a great base to explore the Amalfi Coast. Descriptions on this site are accurate with this hotel and as a result the hotel was exactly as we expected. Rooms are a little dated and the beds a little hard, but clean, well maintained and friendly staff. The hotel seems to be an old Villa with only 26 rooms. Double glazing is great and you are not disturbed by the traffic despite being on a road. There is clearly a difference in the location of the rooms, so if you want to secure a sea-view make sure you check prior to arrival. Also, not many have balconies but there are fantastic outside communal areas for guests with wonderful views down to Sorrento. We enjoyed our own evening drinks there many nights (bar and restaurant not open during the day or evening although you can buy snacks from reception).

Traffic, pool and breakfast all as described by other reviewers. We managed the road crossing and the walk to Sorrento with 7 and 9 year old kids. We would be pleased to return here in the future.

Room Tip: Check with the hotel is you want sea view and/or balcony.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank CraigandSculli
Reviewed 4 July 2012

Just returned to Australia after 3 weeks in Europe. Booked a last minute deal to the Residence Miramare for a week and wasn't dissapointed. Our first time to this location and it is perfect for touring the local coastline and trips to Pompaii and Capri.

Best thing about the hotel was the staff, everyone there was friendly, spoke excellent English and was able to provide all the advise we needed.

Breakfast was excellent, cold meats and cheese always refreshed, local paistries, cerial, juice, fruit and tea and coffee. Could even take breakfast outside in the morning sunshine.

An ideal pool with views across the bay of Naples, small in size but ample for a cooling dip, never many people there so always had a sun bed.

Room was perfect, the decor is a little dated but we are talking about Italy here, for a stylish nation you have to except that their taste in colours and wallpaper is often quirky and the beds are firm. However the room was immaculately clean, serviced everyday and the cleaning ladies always had a happy smile in the mornings. With a view straight across the bay of Naples what more could you ask for..

Hotel is about a 5 minute walk down a slight incline into Sorrento but that really isn't a problem. If you are coming on a trip to this part of Italy you are going to be doing some walking where ever you stay.

Would recommend to anyone and will stay here again sometime, there is so much to see on this coast.

Gavin and Kylie

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 May 2012

We had 3 wonderful and relaxing days overlooking the beautiful Sorrento coastline. The service and staff were excellent. We relaxed by the pool, enjoyed a very good continental style breakfast and took in the views from almost every part of the hotel. The walk down the hill to the town for dinner and shopping and back is quite easy. All in all a great place to stay.

Room Tip: We had a room with a large balcony looking over the bay.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Have just come back from a 4 night stay at this hotel and would definitely recommend it. As some reviewers on here have stated, there is a steep walk down the road to the centre of Sorrento but I think this was a bonus since it just meant you could admire the views more than if you were staying in the centre! The road was pretty busy but if you were careful it was pretty easy to cross directly opposite the entrance. The room we had was perfect; sea view greeted us every morning and although right by the main road the double glazed doors meant you couldn't hear it. The breakfast cupboard is fantastic! We used it to make milky coffees in the microwave (I wasn't going to cook on my 50th birthday celebration holiday!!!). The staff were very friendly and helped us plan our stay. If I had to mention anything negative I would say that it was the fact that you couldn't have anything to eat or drink there during the evening - however, we enjoyed scouring the town for nice restaurants and weren't disappointed.The breakfast was plentiful and had a lovely selection of the usual continental items. We hope to return one day since it is definitely the nicest place I have ever stayed.

Room Tip: Definitely worth asking for a sea view.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Pam W
Reviewed 24 May 2012

Not a 4 star. was there in May 2011 and was very dirty. Hair everywhere (gross even for me). the whole room and even the balcony was really dirty. we had to wash everything. had to ask to have the room cleaned twice. the smoking maid in the hallway had attitude too. must have been great 20 years ago. dangerous to get in to the hotel as it is on hairpin curve. gorgeous walk to and from the hotel to downtown (10 min). the view is breathtaking. could easily be great if someone cared. Sorrento is fantastic! Go for sure!! Take the bus ride to Positano; right out of the movies!

Room Tip: ask for the seaview, the view is spectacular!!! You can see Vesuvius, Naples, the Bay of Naples, and...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sorrentofiend
salvodamore, Proprietario at Hotel Miramare, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2012

Dear Madam
we are very sorry about your complain concerning the cleaning of you room and for the attitude of the maid. We want to let you know that our main chamber maid was not on duty during the time of your stay. She had a car accident and was off for more than two weeks. The maid that was replacing her was fired just after that time. We cannot have more complain about her...
We would like to invite you to come at Miramare again and stay with us one free night to experience again our hotel and enjoy your stay in a place that at the end does not have such a bad reputation and that as you said has a breathtaking views.
My kindest regards

Reviewed 15 May 2012

This is a lovely hotel - a little dated maybe but the wonderful views, the access to several terraces for relaxing and sun-bathing, the pretty pool overlooking the bay, the friendly staff, the convenience of having a 'kitchen-in-a-wardrobe' in a spacious bedroom more than make up for it. Anyway, ultra-modern doesn't suit Sorrento, which has a quietly dignified air to it!

The maids take good care of the rooms - I have taken to hiding the soap in the tooth-mug because they insist on replacing a used one (now they must think I don't wash my hands!), and the towels are changed daily (I leave the ones I have used on the floor), and the bed-linen every three days. I used plastic clip-lock boxes for packing my breakables, which I can use for my foodstuffs - there are plenty of little supermarkets at the bottom of the hill.

Much has been made of the 'corner-of-death' but one simply has to be patient and take one's time. Personally, where there is no pavement (and this is only for a short distance) I walk facing the oncoming traffic with my arm extended so that motorists may spot me early on!

The "A" line bus (towards Massa Lubrense) runs from the station (buy bus tickets at the station - currently €1.20 - you cannot buy them on the bus) and around every 20 minutes through the town up via Capo and the nearest stop to the Miramare is by the Hotel Belair. From there it is only 200 paces (I have short legs!) up to the Miramare which is on the left, just past the Hotel Tonnerella. If you get a taxi expect to pay €12 - but fix the price before you get in the cab - guests have been known to be charged €20. If you arrive in the evening expect delays because Corso d'Italia is closed for the 'passegiata' when everyone strolls along it.

It takes me about 15 minutes to walk up from the town and I'm unfit and 63 (with the afore-mentioned short legs), so any reasonably fit person can do it and it's a good way to work off the yummy meals you will have eaten in the town. I recommend Circolo dei Forestieri aka The Foreigners' Club (elegant, with good food and wonderful views over the bay), Verdemare (no views, but only 100 metres up the road, with lovely staff and a good menu), La Fenice, (good menu, reasonably priced), and for ice-cream go to Bougainvillea - all made on the premises, fresh every day!

So, at the risk of me not being able to get a room in the future, may I say "Buono soggiorno al Hotel Residence Miramare!"

P.S. I only gave it a 'Poor' rating for the restaurant because I am a vegetarian, and I cannot eat white carbohydrates so breakfast is is bit limited for me. And I didn't use the fitness centre.

P.P.S. I have just been told by some other guests that they were ripped off by a taxi driver from Naples airport who charged them €200. Utterly outrageous. Gabriella at the Miramare organised a driver to meet me at cost of €85 - reasonable, if not a little extravagant for me - but I have a slipped disc so that is my excuse! He also dealt with my luggage and waited while I went to the ladies room.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo