We returned from our holiday yesterday. Unfortunately we had booked before we discovered Trip Advisor but went with the hotel as it would have been too costly to change it.
1. First of all, the one good thing about this hotel is the restaurant waiting staff. They were multilingual, funny and friendly, and could not do enough to help us. However, the head waiter gave us more cause for concern. On one occasion, we observed him dropping a pile of cutlery onto the floor, which he then proceeded to pick up and put back into the drawer. This did not give us much confidence in the cleanliness of the hotel.
2. With regard to the air conditioning. Trip Advisor contributors were correct - it was impossible to get the air conditioning to stay on for more than 30 seconds at a time. When I asked about this at reception I was told that the air conditioning was out of order. However, no attempt was being made to repair it. In our opinion, it was simply centrally controlled. It made getting a full night's sleep very difficult - and we were supposed to be on holiday getting some rest! The hotel advertises itself as being air conditioned - clearly not true.
3. With regard to towels. These were of poor quality, sometimes with holes. The most horrifying incident was when we were given a bath mat, and a towel which appeard to have spots of dried blood on it. This happened on not one but THREE occasions. The first time the offending item was taken to reception and was changed, but by the third time we got tired of complaining and threw the dirty items into the corner without using them. HAS THIS HOTEL NOT HEARD OF HIV???
4. The petrol pumps outside the hotel - correct. We were not at the front, so only had to deal with the smell when leaving the hotel - or when a delivery was taking place. We were keen to find out what came first - the hotel or the petrol pumps? We managed to find out that originally the hotel had been a garage but that there were no pumps. So the hotel was built and then the pumps were put in. The hotel leaflet has a photo of the hotel on it, and the pumps appear to have been airbrushed out. Again, dodgy advertising has taken place.
5. The paving outside the hotel is very uneven, due to a tree whose roots are pushing the paving stones up. The oil tank and the cars that drive up the hotel probably do not help matters either. Therefore this hotel is not recommended for those with problems walking as there is a major trip hazard outside the hotel.
6. The swimming pool is unsafe. There is no member of staff in the vicinity, no safety procedures and no ring on the side should anyone get into difficulty. The edge of the pool is painted, and this is slippery when wet. My husband actually slipped off the side of the pool, fortunately falling clear into the water - he could easily have hit the edge and sustained a serious injury.
So that was our experience. Our advice would be that if you are on a budget and are not travelling in high summer this hotel would be OK. But if you want a better experienence, be prepared to pay a bit more and go for a four star hotel.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, LoveHolidays, TravelUp, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Hotel Villa Igea reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Igea Hotel Sorrento