“Wonderful Sorrento, marvellous hotel.”
Review of Hotel Ascot

Hotel Ascot
Ranked #71 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I spent a week at the beginning of July at the Ascot Hotel - the first time I had ever gone on holiday on my own! Understandably, I was a bit nervous, but I had absolutely no problems whatsoever. All the staff were so helpful I couldn't fault them, and Maria deserves special mention for not laughing too much at my faltering attempts at Italian!!! Nothing was too much trouble for her. The dining room staff were great and always ready to help, and with a sense of humour as well. My room was kept immaculately, with an ample supply of towels and clean sheets, and to be honest, considering that half the time I left it like a bomb site, the housemaid did remarkably well. My room was small, although the bathroom was a good size with a good shower etc., only one slight thought - it could perhaps have had a couple of shelve for my toiletries? Anyway, there was plenty of storage for my (over-packed)stuff, a fridge, and wonder of wonders for us single travellers - a balcony! How cool is that, a balcony in a single room, I spent a lot of time on it, having a glass of wine, chilling out, and reading my travel guides.
Food was good to great, breakfast was more than adequate, although the toaster did take a while to get its mojo working! And I didn't go all the way to Italy to eat bacon, egg and beans! (There is a café not far down the road which serves these of you really have to have them). Dinner had three choices, so there was always something to try - I strongly recommend the crepes and the smoked salmon/pasta starter - as a definite pudding person, I was delighted by the choice. Didn't have the soup as I live on soup at home. The prices for wine/snacks/water in the hotel are very reasonable, and I was pleasantly surprised by my bill at the end of the week.
Loved the pool, although the sun loungers could be pretty well fully occupied depending on the time of day, there was always one to spare. I even plucked up the courage to expose my tubby little body in a cozzie and went in swimming every day.
Sorrento is truly magical and there isn't enough room to tell of all its charms - the hotel is a 10 minute walk from Piazza Tasso - or an hour if you window shop, or cut down into the narrow lanes filled with cafes and shops. I did all the usual stuff, Herculaneum - hot, hot, hot but worth it, the big red bus ditto, and of course, the Foreigners Club, overlooking the Marina Piccolo, lovely to have an iced tea and gaze over the Bay of Naples.
So yes, I had a ball and would definitely recommend it to anyone who is thinking of going - I've already booked for next year, this time for TWO weeks, one just isn't enough!

Room Tip: I was on the first floor towards the back and didn't have any noise problems, except when the ho...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank margaret_mcg1

Reviewed 3 August 2013

Couple, Half Board, One week stay

Just got back from an excellent week's stay at the Hotel Ascot. My partner and I were a little apprehensive about the hotel due to some earlier reviews (although they appear to be steadily improving). However our concerns were needless, the hotel was exactly what we had been hoping for.

- Staff were friendly

- The location was superb, 2 mins to the centre, literally. Yet not noisy.

- Room was fine, clean and a good air con unit. It was a good size and the bed (twins) were comfy. It was at the back of the hotel as we had asked for a 'quiet' room, it was quiet, though of course you do sacrifice a view from your balcony. However I am not sure there would be any rooms with much of a view as you are essentially in city centre. (Only con was that it had only one plug). Shower was excellent, good power and heat.

- Food was very nice, breakfast was a standard continental which we enjoyed (NB the bread is quite dense so doesn't come out like british toast, but I still thought it was very nice). The evening meal was a three course meal, the menu for which is up at breakfast so plenty of time to decide if you want to eat in or find a restaurant. We opted to eat in 4 out of 7 times, partly as we wanted to try the local restaurants and partly because the menu can be a bit repetitive. The staff are also very accommodating swapping first courses for mains and even allowing some lunch menu items for dinner with children. (Wine was also well priced....)

- There are many excellent and reasonably priced restaurants nearby.

- Swimming pool is quite small but still nice with a small 'jacuzzi' area that tends to also provide a bit of shade.

- If you are looking to explore on a budget (as we were) and so not booking excursions through the travel companies the train station is about 15 mins walk away and pretty easy to work with. We did Pompeii/Vesuvius and Herculaneum for which you can buy tickets just outside in a little newspaper shop from a man with very good English! Also a good price, 2 adults 8.80 euros return. Once at Pompeii it is simple to get in, the station is directly opposite the archaeological site. Herculaneum is pretty straight forward too...just walk straight forward.

- Two bars we would recommend if you are looking for a nice atmosphere to have a chat and a drink, the Bar Ercolano is in the main square with all sorts of well priced drinks such as wine, beer and cocktails. We also really enjoyed the Garden, Wine Bar on the main road (Corsa Italia) which sold very well priced wines (including some excellent local wines) by the glass.

-Overall a great stay, would recommend the hotel to anyone and would go back ourselves.

(PS no safe in the room though there are loads in reception, there is a mini-fridge that will fit small bottles, Wifi signal pretty good ask at reception for free username + password.)

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room and got Room 614, it was at the back and was very quiet, balcony was in th...
2  Thank Tom139
Reviewed 2 August 2013

We had a wonderful stay at this hotel everything was lovely. Couldn't understand previous review about the bed size as my husband and myself are not small and had loads of room. The food was absolutely gorgeous and we loved the fact that dinner was waiter service. We had a room on the front which even though it could be noisy with the traffic when the windows were open we loved to sit on the balcony and people watch. Would return to the Ascot if we holiday in Sorrento again

Room Tip: Sea view is available for a small charge there are only a few rooms available so make sure you book...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alison B
Reviewed 31 July 2013

I was a bit worried about going to this hotel after reading some of the reviews on here. I dont understand the bad reviews this is a great wee hotel in a great location right on the corsa italia the heart of sorrento. It is a very busy road but i never heard any noise we were in room 230 at the side of the hotel, the room was small but adequate for all we needed and it was kept very clean. The pool area is small but there is enough room for everyone we had no squealing children running around and we did not have to get up at 6am to get a sunbed the pool is big enough to swim in and there is a lovely jacuzzi at the end of it. There is a lovely garden area to sit in and enjoy a drink or lunch with olive and lime trees above your head. The breakfast was just ok but after talking to people in other hotels this seems pretty standard of italian hotel breakfasts, ham cheese rolls croissants cereal and fruit, dinner was much better 3 choices in each course and the menu was out that morning so you could see what was on it and if you didnt like it the staff would get you something else they were great. If you want a change from breakfast in the hotel go to the kiosk a few hundred yards down the road from the hotel and get proper bacon and eggs n toast for 5 euro each. The staff in this hotel were lovely and went out of there way to help if asked. The beautiful marina grande was only across the road and down the hill nice walk down but get the bus up, the sun loungers here are 4 euro compared to 12 on the bathing platforms and its a beautiful fishing village with loads of little restaurants. The night life in sorrento is very poor its all street cafes, the irish bar is called chaplins and this seems to be the best place to meet people though it is small and overpriced. Sorrento is a beautiful place and we had a great fortnight we done all the trips and would highly recommend this hotel as a great base to stay in.

Room Tip: rooms to the side or back of the hotel are quieter.
2  Thank baldy60
Reviewed 29 July 2013

This hotel was in a very good location with a laundromat a couple of doors down, which is handy when traveling. It is a good clean budget hotel and perfectly adequate for the 3 nights I stayed there. Like a lot of hotels in Italy it is not quite my decor but nothing that made it uncomfortable.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank minyamaSSC
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Just got back from our tour with Cosmos and I can honestly say this hotel was our favourite. Located right on the main street and is close to all ammenities. The hotel is very clean and I found the staff to be very helpful and courteous. The rooms were of good size which was a really nice surprise but the beds were a little old and tired. WIFI was free at this hotel as well as free use of the pool. Definately recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to Sorrento.

4  Thank Michael Stephen J
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Home from yet another lovely stay at the Ascot! We came here last June and loved it so much we came back this year. Supposedly a budget hotel, but only budget by price! We were still impressed with the standard of cleanliness,the quality of the food,the excellent helpful staff and the convenience of the location. Roberto,Guiseppe,Antonio,Fabrizio,Carlos,Maria and Louis, were all so friendly and as before made our stay very comfortable. We can't praise this hotel enough and if you want a reasonable priced hotel near the centre of the town,access to all and great food and clean, then this is the one for you. The pool isnt massive but how big do you want it!, you can swim and cool off, and we were hardly there anyhow because we were sightseeing! We ate lunch at the hotel snack bar this time and were very impressed by the quality of our food. Breakfasts are lovely and the same as anywhere else, cereals,toast, juice,yogurts,cakes,ham,cheese,rolls etc. You can have omelettes and bacon etc, its on a board in the dining room for a small extra charge, hubby had eggs and bacon,tomatoes and beans and I believe it was 4 euros. beer in the bar was 2.50 or 3 euros so not too bad at all.They also had a packed lunch made up for us when we went on our trip to Rome( amazing!)which was lovely and tasty, we were very impressed. Also a bonus is there is no charge for sunbeds or air conditioning,or safe deposit boxes here! I believe someone on here didnt like the hotel because it is painted yellow in the rooms!!!!! Really!!if that is what they focused on they should have gone to a much more expensive hotel for the decor and pay 3 times as much!! madness!There is nothing wrong with this hotel, its excellent, and we would definitely go there again! Sorrento is lovely and a great base for trips all over the area. Thanks to all the staff we had a lovely time.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple