“Great stay!”
Review of Hotel Continental

Hotel Continental
Ranked #28 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Reviewed 1 August 2012

We stayed here for one week in mid July. The hotel has an excellent location just a short stroll from the main square and all of the bars and restaurants. We had a beautiful sea view balcony where we could see the pool and watch the many boats in the bay.
Breakfast was excellent with a great array of food hot &cold and the breakfast staff were wonderful as were the reception staff. Extremely approachable and happy to help with any queries/questions.
We spent some time by the pool for a few days and found Carlos the bar man down there quite rude on a number of occasions, to us and to other couples and families. We ordered lunch and he got the order wrong and then overcharged us by €2 as we charged it to our room. I think he could use a little coaching by management. However regardless of this we extremely enjoyed our stay with HC and would be happy to stay again in the future.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank lilmissgiggles1

Reviewed 30 July 2012

I recently stayed at the hotel continental in sorrento. The hotel was not modern but had a dated charm that bowled us over. It was acceptionally clean, the staff very friendly and if you can get a balcony the view over the bay it really had that WOW factor. Our standard room was a good size and included a mini bar, but no room in the fridge to keep any private purchases cool. It was well positioned on the edge of town so within easy walking distance and quite at night. Overall I would give this hotel a 4.5 rating and the only small irritation for my wife was that you can't use your own hairdriers and have to use the basic blower in the bathroom. I will definately be returning.

Room Tip: Go for a balcony view
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Chris B B
Reviewed 28 July 2012

From our experience hotels in Italy aren't ultra modern (unless you're paying big bucks) so we really weren't expecting that much from our accommodation on our first trip to Sorrento.
What we got....a fabulous hotel, with nothing to complain about (even if i really try and think like a nit picker!)
Always spotlessly clean, fantastic location - around 2 - 3 mins walk from all the action, friendly staff that couldn't do enough for us, lovely pool area (a bit retro but very cool), great views, nice breakfast, spacious rooms.
We will certainly return.

1  Thank Louise187048
Reviewed 27 July 2012

Hotel Continental Sorrento. Excellent location .Staff is very helpful. Friendly bartender Giovanni, always smiling. Happy Hour Too. What a view water everywhere. Pool area very relaxing, eat drink and be happy. Close to everything. I love Sorrento. Don't rent a car you don't need it.The train is near or take a cab. Have been there many times. Would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: ask for a view
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lflorida954
Reviewed 27 July 2012

We stayed for 5 nights. The location is ideal being a 5 minute walk to the main paizza and a 10 minute walk (with cases) to the train station or coach station. (If you arrive by train as we did, don't get a taxi, you can easily walk and save yourself 20 euros!) At the beach entrance with the boats for Capri (5 minute walk). 5 minute walk from other marina with some nice restaurants (ask consierge for directions).
The hotel was clean and the staff were friendly. The bedrooms were probably the worst part about this hotel being very basic and in no way a 4* as advertised, but still they were clean and comfortable. The hotel advertises having a hairdryer when actually it is a hose coming out of the wall which would take someone with shoulder length hair about 3 hours to dry! Consierge told me that it was Italian law not to have a hairdryer or iron in the room. They sent me up a proper hairdryer but told me I'd have to send my clothes off to be ironed at 4 euros a shirt...very cunning money making scheme. Surely a 4* hotel should supply an iron and if not they should provide an alternative option that doesnt involve paying!
The breakfast in the hotel (which I've seen lots of moans about in previous reviews) was fine. Yes, it's not all cooked, fried food but we aren't in England!!
The pool is nice and big and at a good temperature with attentive staff. Food at the pool restaraunt is good and cheap. Lots of loungers and towels are provided.
Overall, a pleasant stay in this hotel and certainly a good place to be centred to do Capri (ferry), Positano (coach), Pompeii (train) etc for day trips. Would I sty again if I went back to Sorrento...I'd look around but I probably would.

1  Thank Claire B
Reviewed 26 July 2012

Our family had a wonderful week staying at the Hotel Continental in Sorrento. The most impressive part of the stay was the staff who found that ideal balance between being professional and friendly. They did well remembering our names and gave us a light hearted and informative view of living in Italy. In addition the Hotel was very impressive, lots of marble and very plush, good access to the seafront and spectacular views over the bay. Being close to the centre of town also gave lots of dining out and tourist activity options, for example the marina was only a short lift ride and walk.

One of the highlights for our daughter was the magnificent breakfast buffet because of the selection of gluten free choices which made it so much easier for her to start her day.

The only unusual thing for us was the pool closing at 7.00pm although we have found this to be quite common in Italy.

Also, if driving map out your route in beforehand, the narrow and some one way streets can make it a challenge to get there directly.

Faye and Craig

Room Tip: The views from the coast side are well worth it, a great way to wake up each morning.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Craig C
Reviewed 20 July 2012

I may well be the odd one out, as most people seem to have given this hotel a good review.
Any one that feels I just complain for the sake of it, please look at my other reviews, and see that generally I am well pleased with the hotels I book.
The good points.
The position is superb...overlooking a quiet square and the bay. The views from the room were excellent. Also, the pool was a good size, clean and with good sun loungers and deck chairs. Generally the hotel was clean.
The bad.
The rooms are a bit tired. The beds have horrible mattress covers which appear to be plastic backed presumably to be waterproof. They are most uncomfortable, and I have not as yet wet a bed so they seem quite unnecessary.
The breakfast was poor. At first glance it looked ok, but there were only 2 types of yogurt and only water melon and pineapple as fruit. Also the last day we went at 9 50 and nearly everything was gone and not replaced.
The staff were false and everything appeared to be a problem even though they smiled incessantly. I asked for ice and received 2 plastic glasses with 3 cubes in each. Another day I asked for 2 plates and 2 knives as we had bought some fruit and wished to eat it on the balcony. I had to ask 3 different people and then was made to feel like I was asking for something terrible.
The chairs on the balcony are cheap white plastic chairs that have become very dirty, and have been painted over whilst still dirty. Hence the paint comes away on hands and clothes.
Worst of all, when I asked the reception if they could organise a car to Naples airport, I was told that they could arrange a very special deal at 110 euros, and that anywhere else would charge up to 100 euros per person.
In reality, we had were able to easily book a Mercedes car to the airport in the town at 70 euros for the 2 of us which arrived punctually and with a charming driver.
In short, this hotel was a real disappointment. At almost 200 pounds a night I would certainly have expected more. I would only recommend this hotel if it is booked at a very good rate otherwise, give it a wide berth and go elsewhere.

8  Thank John O
aveast, Proprietario at Hotel Continental, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2012

Dear Sir,

it is possible for an hotel, among hundreds of positive reviews, to receive a quite negative one. To be honest, in 2012, this is the first time we receive this kind of review and I can assure you we will do our best in order to make it the first and last one.

I have the utmost respect for all our clients reviews, especially for the ones that help us to improve our services, but I feel quite annoyed towards reviews which do not reflect the truth.
The hotel was completely renoveted 4 years ago, providing our clients brand new rooms and common spaces, equipped with brand new furniture, according to the 4 stars hotel standards and within the European laws.
I wish we could have the same services and safety in our houses.

Regarding the mattress issue, as I just said, they are brand new and they come with a polyurethane cover that ensures 100% health protection to our clients, who are our primary concern.

Regarding the breakfast, allow me to say that considering it "poor" is definately objectionable. Here you are a list of what our hotel offers to our clients "awakening":
- 5 different types of Croissants;
- hotel - made pastries and cakes (including plum cakes);
-several types of bread (including olive and nuts bread);
-biscuits;
- fresh fruits;
- yogurts (in different flavour);
- juices
- and the so called "salty breakfast" (cold cuts, cheese, eggs, etc.)
If you consider it "poor", we will be pleased to receive any suggestion in order to offer all our customers the best service possible.

Sympathy, friendliness and smile are and will always be, the special ingredient that makes Italy one of the most visited and loved country in the world. I would suggest you to appreciate it and bring it with you , wherever you are , wherever you go, whoever you are with, instead of denigrate it.
The helpfullness and the smile of our staff is not forced, it comes from within, it is a natural attitude that distinguish our people. We truly believe and adore what we do, we do not consider it a job, we love to consider it a mission: make our clients happy and satisfied.

Furthermore, as you certainly know, our clients can buy and eat food that comes from outside the hotel only in their own rooms (due to healthcare liability). In this case, if they need to be provided with cutlery or glasses, it is considered an extra room service and is charged extra.

For what concerns the taxi service, we address to a local agency and we stick to the fees we are communicated.

Thank you for time and attention.