“Avoid! Definately not 4*, perhaps 2*. Noisy, Tired Hotel. Awful Food.”
Review of Michelangelo Hotel

Michelangelo Hotel
Ranked #62 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
edinburgh
“Avoid! Definately not 4*, perhaps 2*. Noisy, Tired Hotel. Awful Food.”
Reviewed 15 May 2011

Having stayed in sorrento before at a 4* Thompson hotel (The Bristol) this hotel is a severe disappointment and NOT worth the cash. This is long, but worth a read if you are thinking of booking:-

We arrived at this hotel at 10.30pm local time, we were advised that because there were only 3 of us, they would not open the kitchen for us and a cold meal was in our rooms. What we found was a meal which had been sweating in our rooms, warm mozerella, a grey pie which smelled of fish (this was leftovers put into a pie) and parma ham which was as tough as old boots, some slimy chicken (or I think it was chicken) oh and stale morning roll. Its funny, I thought I had paid for half board and a 3 course meal, obviously not. We did complain in the morning, all we got was, oh dear we can't open the kitchen at that time for you. We also asked about our front view, the gentleman at reception advised it was noisy and no much of an outlook. Having been to the roof terrace, there is an outlook between the buildings and overlooking a lemon orchard and further on is a sea view!

Thompson were asked for a front view, myself and my family received a side view of the hotel. The side view consisteded of a car park, wall and ...the rubbish bins! Please be aware that someone arrives every morning at 5.30am via a motorbike, its a very loud bike. Then they proceed to dump ALOT of bottles into the a recycled bottle area, I hope you like to get up early! The trains start at 5am. Trust me, there is no way you can avoid the train noise in this hotel. The reviews on this site seem to say you can, untrue.

The hotel itself is extremely clean, I can't say anything about this. The cleaners do a good job, however, the hotel rooms are tired and I hope none of you are embarassed about showering without a curtain/blind in the bathroom. Both my room and my parents room had no curtain over the window and the window right above the bath. We also heard some americans complaining about this. Just think, you could be flashing your neighbour before breakfast! Also, if you managed to get the room I was in, there is an enclosed shower measuring about 60 cm, I'm not huge, but anyone with a few extra pounds will struggle to fit. The towels are in fact giant orange tea towels, think thiis has been mentioned previously, perhaps by quite a few reviewers, they should upgrade to decent towels.

Breakfast, is your usual, toast, cereals, cheeses, hams, bacon, eggs etc. The evening meal which I thought would reflect Italian cooking and we could sit and relax and enjoy the meal. I was wrong, not much changed from night to night and neither did the taste. Everything was tasteless and very very basic. The meat provided was sub-standard and very tough and the veg is tinned, I just wouldn't recommend it. The raviolli which the head waiter recommended was plain pasta with a tomato sauce loaded with salt. If a pudding isn't eaten it will appear the next again night.

There is no atmosphere in the dining room. The head waiter advised he had been there for 20 years, he will chat with you, but backs away from everone quickly. The waiters don't give you any time between courses, you're in and out in 1 hour. I think i found out the reason for this. one of the waiters asked if I wanted a job in the hotel, I said thanks but needed to get back to my own place of work. He advised I could holiday here as thats what they are doing, ie these guys only want to work a few hours. They want you out of the restaurant quickly so that they can party, go to the beach, go home...

The staff aren't helpful, there is no porter to help with bags, for a 4*, this is not good. Especially when there are quite alot of staff standing about just watching you struggle. My parents are hitting 70, they struggled with getting out the lift and lifting suitcases up some steps (these steps are on every floor at the lift area).

I also asked if there was a bus to go down to the port to get the bus to Capri. I was advised it was a 10 minute walk and that's as much information as he was willing to give. The bus station is 2 mins from the hotel. It's a steap walk, the walk is 100 steps and a crazy walk down with buses and cars flying past.

Upon leaving, I asked if I could leave my bags somewhere, I was advised "what about in the pool", now this may have been a joke, but was this because we had complained about the food on our first night, perhaps, perhaps not.

The security is not good, the bags were not locked up. I would hang on to your keycard if I was you, all key cards are kept under the reception desk in slots, this would be easy for any thief to stretch over and take.

Overall, not a good hotel, we were all wakened every morning at 5am. The food was rubbish and staff are uninterested in their guests. It seems they are trying to skimp, perhaps for an overhaul on the hotel? If so they are doing this at their current guests expense.

Thompson have failed to give this hotel their Gold Star Award for 2 years.....I know the reason, it's not up to scratch and the stars should be stripped from this hotel to a 2 star.

The end.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else,no good rooms in hotel
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Scot71

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Nelson
Reviewed 12 May 2011

We stayed for two nights recently. Check in was very fast and efficient. We found the hotel public areas very spacious with plenty of sitting space. The room was very clean as was the bathroom. The bed was comfortable and the room had enough space to unpack and hang up our clothes.

The dining room offered a good selection of food for a buffet continental style breakfast. The evening meal, while not haute cuisine, was very good and the service was excellent.
We found our room to be very quiet even though we faced the street. There were a number of tour groups here but they have not been intrusive or noisy.
I think this hotel is a good choice for the traveller who wants to be close to the centre of Sorrento.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Adrienne L
Worlwide
Reviewed 8 April 2011

I was passing through and only stayed here for one night but from check in to check out I found everything to be perfect. It was a bit noisy during the day but not unbearable. I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2011
Fareham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2011

Surprised this was a 4 star. Glad I only stayed 4 nights as the door to my room fronted the lobby area. The noise from large groups of Americans staying here combined with the railway line outside the french doors was not very relaxing. Noise from adjoining rooms was also not good. Room did have a balcony but I can't see anyone wanting to use it, given the outlook. Also meant that as the air condtioning was not on, the only way to get some air into the room was to wedge open one of the french doors. Room had 3 single beds crammed in, with not much room for anyone and only one bedside table. Do not find being charged for a key to the room safe very good service these days. Breakfast was dismal buffet style. Dinner was good choice but catered for US/English expectations. The ravioli starters were good but the desserts were not up to much. Would I stay again? Probably not. Sorrento is not real Italy but good if you want somewhere English is easily understood.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank happyjenny
Australia
Reviewed 4 February 2011

We stayed here for one night as part of an organised tour. dont think much of this hotel. The furniture & styling of the hotel is outdated. The towels in the bathroom were a faded orange colour. Looked like they have had their day, maybe years old. They also looked more like tea towels than bath towels. There was a hair in the bottom of the shower and the whole bathroom was just a bit old. Because of the towels and the hair that we found we couldnt bring ourselves to shower there. We had to have dinner there as it was paid for. the restaurant is green and has painted walls that are meant to supposedly look like there is a garden there. very tacky. we had stale bread, bad meals. the menu was typed up on the back of a used a4 piece of paper that we all had to share to look at. would defenitely look for somewhere else to stay if i ever returned to sorrento. Its supposed to be 4 star but really doesnt live up to that.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank FoodnTravelreviews
Civil Servant
Reviewed 21 October 2010

We stayed here last year and had a room on the 5th floor without any problem but this year we were on the 2nd floor and found it noisy.The walls were paper thin and you could here everything in neighbouring rooms.The food is ok but the main courses can be a little "meat and two veg" and the dining room can be a little hectic at times.Not a relaxed restaurant feel at all.The hotel is very well situated in Sorrento, very close to the bus and train station and only a few minutes walk into Piazza Tasso, the main square. All things considered I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank Owlsteve
Cape May Court House, New Jersey
Reviewed 8 October 2010

Great location to see Capri, Ischia, Almafi, Naples, Pompei and so more. The hotel is close to downtown Sorrento and cafes and shopping. The rooms were VERY clean with balcony. The staff was Great and VERY helpful.

There was a good selection of cereals, breads, meats,cheese etc at breakfast and evening meals were very good, with excellent service. The hotel is close to the railway, ferries and bus stations,I would LOVE to return to this hotel one day. We had a WONDERFUL stay at the Michelangelo!!

• Stayed September 2010