“No frill, convenient hotel”
Review of Michelangelo Hotel

Michelangelo Hotel
Ranked #66 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Singapore
“No frill, convenient hotel”
Reviewed 25 December 2013

I stayed with my family in this quaint hotel in Dec 2013. Its a small, classic, cozy, no-frill hotel. The rooms are small but sufficient. Its only 200 metres away from the Sorrento town centre. Christmas mood is buzzing in this area. Its also convenient to do some shopping and stocking up with grocery from a big supermart round the corner.
The breakfast spread is sufficient but lack in quality. Dinner at the restaurant is mediocre, though I managed to get a nice bottle of Chianti Classico at the bar.
Overall, its a clean, convenient holiday hotel to stay in this busy holiday town in Italy.

Room Tip: Some rooms are facing the railway track. Can be noisy at times.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Boon8282

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Boston,Ma
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Servers were wonderful. Chiro was great at bar. Reported our phone not working, n we were challenged, but they fixed it. Not a hotel for handicapped. On arrival, I asked to change my room and I was told 'NO' and I don't believe there was not another room available. I paid a lot of money n did want a good view from my room.

• Stayed October 2013
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2013

This hotel has an ideal location with the bus/train station and city centre all within two minutes walk providing easy access to Pompeii, Vesuvius, Amalfi coast (7 euro round trip!) amongst many others and provides great value for short to medium stays. Sometimes you go to hotels and they do not understand what good hospitality is, the Michelangelo hotel and staff do. We stayed at a time when the weather was cooler. If you want a good, warm, exceptionally clean hotel in Sorrento with friendly and attentive staff, why stay anywhere else - A big thank you to all the staff.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lifeplanning
Amherst
Reviewed 13 November 2013

and that's where it ends . . .We were initially put in a room not connected to the main hotel. It was VERY, wary tiny and we could not put our suitcases anywhere. I decided to take a shower. The shower had glass doors and they actually both came off in my hands as I was trying to close the door. The shower was no more than 20inches by 20 inches. My husband would have never fit in there. Anyway - long story short and we were put in an apartment with some people we know. As they had been the first to mention their room size to the desk, I thought it only fair that they got the larger room in the apartment. We each had our own spacious bathrooms. Our room was actually smaller than the one we had come from, but did have a closet in the hallway where we could put our bags. I had a necklace stolen from my bag while we were out. Most people were complaining about the breakfast, but I was happy with my cereal and milk. I would never stay here again unless I was guaranteed a room we could open our suitcases in - The safe was stuck in the open position with the lock unable to be reprogrammed which made my hidden necklace free to the one who picked though my clothing to find it. In the many cities we stayed in throughout all of Italy, this was the saddest we were with ANY of our rooms/hotels.

Room Tip: Check with the desk before trying to unpack in a room you can't even turn around in.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Kathryn W
Nr Doncaster
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Excellent bits: - Location. 5 minutes from bus and train station, 10 minute stroll into the centre of Sorrento (on the flat unless you want to go to the harbour). Hotel staff very friendly and helpful. Hotel very clean.

Not bad, but not brilliant: - If you like to complete your 3 course evening meal from sitting down to leaving to be around 30 to 40 minutes you will be fine. If you like a leisurely meal - no chance. We had to ask the staff to slow down between courses as we didn't have time to digest and appreciate, but that didn't help much.

In the same category we would advise that if the restaurant is busy at evening meal time (6.30 to 8.30) the one and only bar man is called in to help so you cannot get a drink or a table cleared until he gets back which can be in excess of an hour so if you like a drink before dinner get in early, if you like a drink after dinner you could be lucky or you may have to take a stroll out.

Would we visit again? Sorrento NO, its far to expensive for eating and drinking, but if prices fell to a reasonable level we would recommend Sorrento and would definitely stay at the Michelangelo (where surprisingly for a hotel prices aren't too bad).

Rooms not a bad size and have a TV (only a couple of English speaking channels). Many of the Americans did not think the shower cubicles were big enough. We British must have smaller bathrooms as we felt ours adequate. We had a large terrace backing onto the railway line which never bothered us one bit. The trains do not run particularly early or late and actually not that often so no problems.

Go get on a train to Pompeii its only 11 euros and a great day out. Sorrento is the last stop on the line so you cannot really get off in the wrong place. Pompeii well advertised as a stop so you are unlikely to miss the stop.

Go have a great time but take lots of spending money.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Lynn G
Canfield, Ohio
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The location was great and the staff was very friendly. Our room was nice with a great balcony overlooking the pool. We enjoyed sipping Limoncello on the balcony as a nightcap. The breakfast buffet was great, but with so many great restaurants nearby we never even considered lunch or dinner at the hotel. Hope to return soon.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pats731
Newton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Very pretty hotel in a convenient location. Staff was not very friendly and the room was the smallest room I have every been in. Room #402 had the smallest shower. Food at the hotel was not very good. You are better to go out to dinner and breakfast. It was clean.

Room Tip: Do not take room #402. There are other room that are much better.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple