“Not very customer focussed”
Review of Michelangelo Hotel

Michelangelo Hotel
Ranked #61 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Reviewed 8 March 2014

It is difficult reviewing a hotel when travelling with a small group as opposed to travelling as a couple, but my concerns were aroused as our group checked in whilst a much larger group waited to do likewise. Any hotel that has only one clerk on the desk at a time like this, has a serious management problem. Our room was ok, minimal in respect of amenities for example, the tiniest and cheapest bar of soap, the tiniest TV set I have ever seen, but not tiny in terms of guest instructions: do not put the kettle (there was not one) on the furniture; do not put your own food or drink the in room fridge etc etc - a welcome of some sort would have been nice. And as for our dinner and breakfast, both most disappointing, served by condescending staff, whose only interest was to get us out of the dining room (not a restaurant) by any stretch of the imagination. This hotel needs to train it's staff to love their guests, not just treat them like numbers!

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Chunkyunky

Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed here during our visit to the Amalfi the region. The hotel has a great location, staff is very hospitable and the food is okay. The Wi-Fi service at the lobby is not the best (very slow). Rooms are small but okay, nothing fancy but very clean. Would recommend it if like us you plan to be on the go most of the time.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gilly V
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Let's start with the positives, the hotel is in a pretty good location near the train station and not far from the main square and the rooms were clean. Now the negatives, my room was small and old fashioned overlooking the train line. The trains though weren't overly loud. The area assigned for a suitcase was too small for mine. My room safe was broken. There was a large crack in my bathroom mirror. The toiletries in the bathroom were poor with only flimsy soap and shampoo provided. You have to pay for wi-fi in the rooms and the free wi-fi in reception is patchy. The breakfast offerings were poor. Who serves tin fruit in this region? Dinner which was included in my package was not of great quality either. Finally I found some of the staff quite rude and unhelpful. Overall I was pretty disappointed.
This is not a 4 star hotel so don't be fooled. Would I stay here again? No!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Hunstow
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I have read various reviews about this hotel which seem to make an issue of train noise.A small local service train passes about every hour with minimal noise for about 15secs so do not worry about this issue.The hotel is typical old style Italian as opposed to some of the newer hotels,we like this some might not During our stay there was a cross section of ages and several nationalities The selection of food for a celiac is a joy,choices on the menu are adapted or an alternative conjured up the kitchen.
Sorrento is outstanding and many hours can be spent wandering around he quaint old streets,or a walk down to the port Pompei can be visited by train at 11euros return,or a more expensive organised tour.
Overall an excellent holiday and well worth a visit

Room Tip: Ask for room with pool view
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KENCORRALEJO
Reviewed 26 December 2013

This hotel was within walking distance of the main square/shopping and even swimming in the Mediterranean. The grocery store was a 5 min walk, which was great because we were there quite a few days. The bartenders/front desk staff were more than accommodating with any requests. Breakfast was great and the wait staff were wonderful. The best was the size of the rooms, and almost all had a small balcony or outside sitting area. My room was cleaned every day when we arrived back from a long day. The walls are very thin in most hotels in Italy but we are spoiled in the states and sometimes have to suck it up! WIFI is not in the rooms, you do have to make calls from the lobby.

Room Tip: The rooms around the outside pool area were the best, they had very large balconies. There is a tra...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank johnsonritae
Reviewed 25 December 2013

I stayed with my family in this quaint hotel in Dec 2013. Its a small, classic, cozy, no-frill hotel. The rooms are small but sufficient. Its only 200 metres away from the Sorrento town centre. Christmas mood is buzzing in this area. Its also convenient to do some shopping and stocking up with grocery from a big supermart round the corner.
The breakfast spread is sufficient but lack in quality. Dinner at the restaurant is mediocre, though I managed to get a nice bottle of Chianti Classico at the bar.
Overall, its a clean, convenient holiday hotel to stay in this busy holiday town in Italy.

Room Tip: Some rooms are facing the railway track. Can be noisy at times.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Boon8282
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Servers were wonderful. Chiro was great at bar. Reported our phone not working, n we were challenged, but they fixed it. Not a hotel for handicapped. On arrival, I asked to change my room and I was told 'NO' and I don't believe there was not another room available. I paid a lot of money n did want a good view from my room.

• Stayed: October 2013