“Perfect way to spend a morning”

Bagni della Regina Giovanna
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Capri Island Tour and Grottos from Sorrento
Ranked #9 of 96 things to do in Sorrento
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Around a 20 minute walk from Sorrento along Via Capo until the small alley way leads you down towards the 'Bath of Queen Jean'. Ive attached a picture to show the alleyway and where to turn (There is a graffiti sign on a wall but there was a car parked in front of it) so turn when you see the sign for Ruderi Della Villa Romana Di Pollio. Nice walk down to the top of the Bagni and along to the bar is not bad on the legs as mostly down hill. If you want to actually get to the Bagni its a little rugged but not too bad. We found a nice spot just before the bridge to the bar where we could chill on the rocks and have a little swim but then we headed to the Bagni which was perfect. Highly recommend!!

24  Thank Would_I_Go_Back
"natural beauty"
"couple of hours"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 31 May 2014

We found this in the Lonely Planet and thought a dip in a Roman ruin might be nice. It is a twenty minute walk from town and part of the walk has no footpath. It is a long further twenty mins down a cobbled path to the ruins. The paths are neglected and handrails on the ground. It is popular with the young and lithe but those of us not so lithe could not consider leaping off the rocks with gay abandon for fear of breaking an ankle to get to them. So we kept on walking along the walkway to a little bar which charges for the use of its' stony access to deep sea - ten euro. We had a drink and then began the long climb back in midday heat - to the road again. Was it worth it? Well the views are glorious everywhere on the Amalfi coast so no - it just made us feel like old codgers!

9  Thank CarolJersey
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I found the start of this walk hard to find. We headed out of Sorrento on Via Capo and started driving and found nothing but a hotel or bed and breakfast called Regina Giovanna. If you see the signs for the hotel you've gone too far. Driving on Via Capo when you see the American Bar on your left take the next right. If you are lucky you will cars will not be blocking the spray paint on the wall that says Bagni della Regina Giovanna. We stopped on this street then I went into the mini mart and asked the clerk so he confirmed where to go. We parked by the mini mart and walked down to the site.

First you walk down an old Roman Road only wide enough for mopeds. It is walled on either side but was not very busy. It changes to a dirt trail and then your can see down into the "Queen's Bath" or the secluded cove. I am not sure how you get down to it. Some teenagers were able to find a way down but I don't think there is a well defined path.

We walked on top of the ruins and took the small trail off the main one toward the American Bar on the water. This takes you to a boardwalk that was sort of scary to walk on because some boards were loose. It is kind of a cool little area that you can climb on rocks down by the water. The bar wasn't open so I can't speak about that.

We stayed on the roman ruins to watch the sunset and enjoy the views of Sorrento and Mt. Vesuvius. I do wish we would have brought some warmer clothes because it got kind of windy and that we would have brought some cibo e vino to enjoy.

Great FREE way to enjoy Sorrento!

9  Thank Carrie G
Reviewed 29 January 2014

beautiful walk, not far from Sorrento. Easy to reach and in a very peaceful location, away from cars and scooters. The place itself is great but more from a nature point of view as there is not much left of the roman villa ruins.
Suggest an early morning or late afternoon walk during the summer months, you dont want to walk back in the middle of the day with that heat...suggest you bring water with you as there are no public fountains (nor bars or similar) once you arrive.
Great place to spend a quite afternoon admiring the scenery

9  Thank Frankie0079
See more reviews
Reviewed 5 November 2013

I read somewhere that this is called the Queens bath's. Well from what i saw it might be more aptly called the Queens toilet. I read about this on trip advisor and whilst staying further up the road at La Solara I ran down one morning before breakfast complete with swimming gear ready for an early morning dip. It’s easy to find being just off the road opposite the little petrol station on the road from Sorrento to Massa Lubrense and about ¼ mile straight down to the coast on quite a steep descent on a reasonably well surfaced road (used by cars and mopeds) turning into a rough pathway for the last few hundred yards. Just as the road surface changes there is an area where there were mopeds parked with a pathway leading to a building in front of you (is this part of the ruins?) and I made the mistake of assuming that the path went through the building and I could get down to the rocks and sea so, I went into the building and that was my mistake as it is being used as a toilet by (I assume) the locals who fish from the rocks and the smell was horrendous (If you've got to do it at least dig a hole and bury it!). At this point I'd seen enough and didn’t venture any further returning to the hotel and it's clean swimming pool. To be fair the views across the bay were fabulous and the water looked inviting but the area really ought to be cleaned up.

13  Thank georgedoorsscores