“Mixed review”

Ranked #36 of 134 Sorrento B&B and Inns
london
“Mixed review”
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Thought I'd review this b&b as the reviews have been so mixed .. having stayed there I fully understand. My first impressions were quite negative. First it was further out of Sorrento than I expected, around a 15 minute bus ride (you get the bus in the main square, a very short walk from the train station, cost circa 2.40 euro versus a taxi at 25.00 euro). It seems confusing when you arrive, but seriously walk straight down from the station to the main road, turn left, walk through the square and the bus stop is on the right hand side, no more than 5 mins away. Do not however try this on a Saturday night. Second, if you do get a taxi it will not take you up the road to the b&b, too steep. Yes there is a steep walk up and you should be prepared for it. Third, the English is limited (until the English speaking receptionist arrives). Fourth, I didn't find the management particularly friendly (perhaps due to the language barrier). Fifth, the Casale is off a very busy windy road with no footpath, the first two days I was afraid to walk along it for fear of being bowled over. Sixth, they say it is near a beach, OK the beach entrance is a 10 minute walk, then you need to walk down for another 20 odd minutes and then scramble over rocks to get to the beach, so not easy. Now that I have given the negatives, would I stay there again? Probably yes. Its more authentic than staying at the chain hotels, you get over the steep climb after a few days, the bus ride is not that much of a hassle, you can go for a swim on day trips, go into Sorrento itself, mgmt did try to be helpful, lovely to be able to sit outside in a beautiful and quite isolated setting. Probably best suited to you if you have a car and can therefore avoid the steep climb and get yourself to other beaches. Do not go there if you want to sit beside a pool. Do go on the trips they recommend, in particular the Amalfi Coast. Hopefully this helps.

Room Tip: Try and get the one external to the main house - very private.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank kiwiinengland

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Myself and my partner stayed at Casale Antonietta for 4 nights in August 2012. Our room was lovely, very comfortable and clean with air-conditioning. We found the staff very accommodating and helpful with any questions we had about the area. The B+B is located around 3 miles from the centre of Sorrento, situated around 100 metres away from a main road via quite a steep uphill walkway.The main road the B+B is situated off is quite busy and does not have a footpath, I wouldn't recommend walking along the road as it is quite dangerous, however, the frequent bus service does not make this a problem. The hotel is signposted by a small white sign on the side of the road, opposite the entrance to the Santa Fortunata Campsite. At the bottom of the walkway is a bus stop (Route A) with buses running into the town centre every 20 minutes from early morning to around 11pm at night. A single bus ticket from the hotel to Sorrento town centre costs 1.20 Euro, tickets are available for sale from the Santa Fortunata Camp site across the road from the walkway or from the Circumvesuviana Bus/Train station in Sorrento town centre (these are the only locations we found which sold the tickets) Bus tickets must be purchased before travelling on the bus. A taxi from the town centre to the hotel costs approximately 20 Euros to travel a couple of miles, we were caught out one night due to road closures in the town centre due to the large influx of tourists, the bus was re-routed. I would recommend enquiring about the bus routes at one of the many "Info points" in Sorrento town centre. The continental breakfast was basic but nice with Bread, Cheese, Ham, Croissants and Jams. All in all we had a very pleasant stay, it was fantastic value in comparison to other hotels in the Sorrento area, we highly recommend this hotel, we would go back tomorrow if we could!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Cupar
Reviewed 15 August 2012

The day before our holiday was to begin, we were informed that our appartment was double booked. We were promised to be upgraded to a suite and dinner vouchers to make up for the lack of our self-catering ability. We accepted this reluctanty, but when we arrived and were shown our "junior suite", I was not convinced that we had indeed been upgraded. I don't know about you, but to me, a suite doesn't suggest a rather small, dark and basic "travel lodge" style room (actually travel lodge rooms tend to be nicer and their double beds tend not to be two uncomfortable singles pushed together). The only plus was that, as we were told by the receptionist, "at least it was cool". The compensatory dinner vouchers, turned out to be one voucher. We were given it and told to go to their sister restaurant by the receptionist. We did this, had our dinner and were told two days later that the voucher was only for 30 euros (no value was mentioned at all when we were given it and 30 euros for two people is a pretty derisory amount, anyway), that we were suposed to hand it over before we ordered (again left out by the receptionist) and that we now owed their sister restaurant 20 euros and we should go down and pay them for a mistake that was not ours. This does not make for a relaxing holiday. The receptionist speaks English (because she is) but do not think that this will make anything easier as she was next to useless. The breakfast is basic and if it wasn't for the fact that we had no tea or coffee making facilities, I wouldn't have bothered. They also accept dogs, which could be a positive unless both your neighbours have brought awful yappy things that start barking at 6:30am. To be honest, the location and the steep path up to the hotel, that have been mentioned by others here, were the least of our concerns. I would not stay here again and would recommend that no one else does.

Room Tip: There is a market and a beach at the Santa Fortunata (across the road) if you need anything quickly...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Christopher M
Reviewed 17 July 2012

After long train trip we were left feeling a bit frazzled, we were instantly greeted with a smile and were told everything we needed to know. This has been my favourite accomodation after 5 months of travel. The constant friendly smiles and always having what we needed without any hassles made our 4 night stay a joy. Wish we could have stayed longer. The breakfast was amazing including freshly baked cakes from the nighy before. A beautiful place to relax and soak up Sorrento. Buses convienienly down the hill and a 3-4 min ride into town. We found it perfect to get away from the masses of crowds. Great value!

• Stayed July 2012
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 28 March 2012

If you would like a relaxing stay while in Sorrento, avoid this place like the plague. It is too far from town on a road too dangerous for walking, which only leaves the bus for getting into town. The bus isn’t a problem if you can locate a staff member let alone locate one who speaks English well enough to explain where the closest place to purchase a bus ticket is (it is at the camping ground across the street BTW). I really don’t think the elusive “Marco,” the manager, actually exists. As you will read below, we had a horrendous time trying to stay at this B&B. If I were the manager and guests had experienced such trouble, I would make sure I was there to speak to them, apologize profusely and make it right with them. Not the policy at Casale Antonietta or of the non-existent "manager," Marco , apparently. Be very aware these people operate on their own social and time schedule which is not very convenient for guests. If you can stomach it, I have detailed our troubled stay below…

I was very excited to start my trip in Sorrento. I have traveled in northern Italy and wanted to get a taste of the south. I was traveling with my mother, who has never been to Italy so I wanted to give her the full gamut of a smaller area (Sorrento) and a large city (we were returning to Rome following our time in Sorrento). After researching hotels for our trip with our travel agent (and also using tripadvisor), I decided Casale Antonietta sounded like a great little retreat. The photos are picturesque and the reviews gave the impression of a really homey feel to the management and hotel. We booked our reservation a few months in advance of our trip.

After travelling for a very long time between our flight, the train from Naples and being dropped off by a cab only having to drag our suitcases down a road to actually get to the hotel, we arrived at reception. No one was there. I looked around the gardens, in the common room and finally found the woman who cleans the rooms. She didn’t speak English so I got out my trusty Rick Steves phrase book to let her know we were to check in for our stay. She pulled out a paper with the remaining arrivals, and our name was not on it. There were no rooms available for the night, so we were going to have to find other accommodations. I had a prepaid travel voucher with their hotel information on it and showed it to her, but she had no explanation. She had to call Alex (another staff member) to come talk to us. He also had no explanation as to why we didn’t have a reservation either. By this time, I am on the phone to our travel agent in the US to see what she could find out for us. She confirmed the service we booked through showed a reservation had been made.

I asked where the manager of the hotel was, and Alex just kind of threw up his arms and said he was not available. At this point, Alex was calling other hotels he knew of to find us a place to stay until Marco, the manager of the hotel, could explain what had happened. Alex said he had found another place and would take us to show us the room. He loaded my exhausted mother and I along with our luggage in his VW van and drove us down, down, down to what could easily be classified by Chris Farley’s “Van Down by the River” SNL skit. We passed locals on a rocky beach DRYING THEIR LAUNDRY while sunning in lawn chairs. The woman showed us a dark, dank room with no linens on the stained mattresses. We could not get out of there soon enough…

Out of the blue, Alex says he has found another place just down the street from Casale Antoinietta owned by another family who consequently did not speak English either with the exception of the teenage son who spoke very little. After hiking it up three flights of stairs with our luggage, we were able to finally shower and rest. I will not knock on this hotel, as they were as helpful as they could be trying to help us get a taxi the next morning for our early morning Capri tour, but this was not the vacation I had in mind.

When we got back to this B&B, the staff at Casale Antonietta had somehow located our reservation and were ready to pick us back up to stay at their hotel. The air conditioned room we booked turned out to be a room with an oscillating fan, a constantly running toilet, and a window you could open if it was still too hot. We ended up missing our Almalfi Tour the next day due to being so far out of town and having no one around or who could explain where to purchase bus tickets.

We could not get out of this place fast enough. Do yourself a favor, if you do not speak Italian, do not stay at this place. Although even looking at other reviews, even if you do speak Italian, do not stay at this place.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!!!! You pay for an air conditioned room, but in reality, get a room with a tiny...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank KrisFisch06
Hertford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2011

The hotel is not as difficult to find as previous reviews make out. I would advise using public transport rather than hiring a car because the approach road is horribly narrow. On the buses just look out for the big yellow sign on the right for the Santa Fortunata camp site and either get off at the gates and walk up the footpath opposite or go on to the next stop and walk along the road. Both routes are well signposted to the hotel. Be warned though, in heavy rain both routes up to the hotel channel the water down to the main road. Something we found out to our cost on our return one evening, when the footpath was a torrent and the steps were like a waterfall and we got soaked through! Took ages to dry out from our first attempt at 'canyoning'.

We stayed in one of the apartments, with two bedrooms and a kitchenette, so we had a bit of space to spread out. However the kitchenette was not very well equipped (no kettle to make tea/coffee, no cups to serve it in, no corkscrew for the pre dinner drink) however Reception did supply us with what we needed, although we did end up getting singed hair from trying to light the gas using a lighter. The apartment itself is probably in need of a bit of attention - the shower door needs repairing, there is a hole in the bathroom door and the wiring looks dodgy in places, but on the whole it was clean and the towels were changed twice during our visit.

The restaurant was only open on the last night of our visit (probably just as well because that was the night of the torrent!) We dined at the Pizzeria (Ristorante Kalimera) at the bottom of the hill on one occasion, it was good quality and good value for money.

The hotel staff were friendly and keen to help.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank lbow61
Sunnyvale, California
Reviewed 5 October 2011

I just don't understand some of the good reviews of this place. We stayed at 3 other B&B's on our 2 week vacation in Italy and the difference was shocking. One of my main reasons for staying in a B&B is the personal contact you have with the owner and all the good information you can get from them.

But for this place I totally agree with a previous reviewer who wrote: "Also, I have to disagree with other reviews saying the staff were helpful. Superficially, yes, they are all smiles and "that's no problem", but in reality they operate on their own timescales and for their own convenience. Casa Antonietta is a families farmhouse and large garden in which they've plonked a number of sub-standard huts. They'll be happy to rake in the money from this arrangement as long as it doesn't impinge on their social lives. We found this out on a number of occasions." So true. The owner (when he's around) just sits in the yard with friends/family, having a drink, and doesn't even look at you when you arrive. Where other owners will help with luggage and go out of their way to give you helpful information, here you're on your own.

So these are my gripes:
1) Their website should give much better instructions on how to get there. The place is difficult to find.
2) The road to the house is horrendous. Their website should state, in no uncertain terms, that only small cars will make it. We had a Mercedes A series rental, not a large car by any means, and we literally had one-two inches on each side. The road gets very narrow and with walls on each side, you cannot get out of the car until you're at the end. I hate to think what would have happened if the car was just a bit too wide or if a car came from the other side.
3) The place is a lot further from Sorrento than stated (40 min vs 20) and once you're down to the main road, there are no sidewalks. With the way people drive here, that's very dangerous.
4) The room we had was below the house and felt like a dungeon. The only windows were a small strip along the ceiling. The room was not clean. I don't think the screens in the windows were cleaned in the last couple of years.
5) Service sucked. They couldn't care less. Breakfast was supposed to start at 7:30 am. You were lucky if you got a coffee 20 min later. And if you went towards the end of breakfast time, there was no food left and they did not make much effort to refill the plates.
6) The pictures on the website make it look really nice. They must have been taken the week they cleaned up the yard. Reality is quite different.
7) Their Wi-Fi sucked. Did not work in the room. So we had to sit outside on the patio. No big deal but they turned the light off after midnight! And you had to get a new username/password every three hours. Which you could only do when there was somebody in the office. I complained about such a stupid system and they said it was the law in Italy "to preserve your identity". But no other B&B or hotel did that.

Another example of their "service"... We asked for a recommendation for a trip to Capri. They gave us one that sounded pretty good (pick-up at the B&B, boat trip to Capri, boat trip around the island and then 5 hrs on your own in Capri, drop off at the B&B, all for 34 Euros). So we signed up and they made reservations for us. We had to be at the road below at 8:20 the next morning. We were there on time. 8:30 no bus, 8:40 no bus, 8:50 no bus. So we walk all the way back to the B&B. The only one there barely speaks English but gets the point and calls the boat place. Tells us to try the next day. Well, that day we were going to Pompeii so that was no option. Another woman appears who speaks much better English and asks the other guy (in Italian) if he could get us to Sorrento to catch the next regular boat. He refuses. So we're told to just go back down to the road and take the bus to Sorrento. Which we try. Two busses arrive but refuse to take us as we only have cash and no bus tickets. Where do you get bus tickets? In town. Which is where we are trying to get. Would it have been so hard for the B&B to just have some tickets available for their guests? They did not even tell us we needed tickets. So we walk to the harbor along that dangerous road to get the next regular boat. Takes us 40 minutes. We were told at the B&B that the boat runs every 20 minutes. Yes, at 8 in the morning. By now it is after 10 and the next boat doesn't leave for another hour. So we finally get to Capri by noon. When we complain that evening, they told us they were called by the tour operator but "couldn't contact us". Jeez, ever heard of a cell phone? They had our number. Or knocking on our door? When we finally leave the place 2 days later, they ask us "Did you get to Capri?" I said "Yes, we finally got there!". So they charged us 68 Euros for the trip. If I hadn't been reading their computer screen when they made the bill, they would have gotten away with it too.

Avoid this place like the plague.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple