“A Reluctant departure”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Admiral Sorrento
Ranked #41 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Reviewed 14 September 2012

I cannot say how lucky I am to have found this gem of a hotel. My first visit was to return to show my daughter where her grandparents had bought me years ago. The harbour scene hasn't changed, obviously the hotel was not there but the atmosphere is great still.My 9th visit last week has been improving with times visited. The staff are special, Luigi,Giulio, he was new,Andreas especially welcoming, and its lovely to find them still there each visit. Luigi does have a way with Buffets and the Gala night is always good, especially this years pancake. We did the trip to Amalfi again and it is very enjoyable, the guide was very good. We did a lot more walking this year into town and its incredibly good for weight loss up all those steps twice a day. We have met some really nice people this year, they will know who they are, two who in particular liked to pinch my favourite seat on the veranda. A couple from Wales in the room above, who thought i knew everything about Sorrento. Sorry. I do hope there will be a 10th visit as I am looking forward to it already.Anyone wanting a good trip, not a Historic one, but the Ischia Spa is lovely for the day, plenty beds to sunbath after a dip in one of the many pools, one where you can sit under and it just splashes down your back, very relaxing. I am counting the weeks before I can book again for next year. People ask why come back so many times,I think now I have found this place and it's everything special to me I will not be happy anywhere else. Thankyou everyone at the Admiral including Francesco. See you next year. Jan

There are newer reviews for Hotel Admiral Sorrento

Reviewed 13 September 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Admiral in September 2012, two couples, we were given rooms 105 and 106, which as the hotel is mostly full of Thomson package tour holiday makers, we think those two rooms are kept (amongst others) for independent travellers as they are the best, with huge terraces overlooking the sea and the marina and beach. We found the staff friendly, but I have seen reviews below saying the opposite and I think it depends how you treat people (and you get treated the same in reverse), some of the other holiday makers made no attempt to adapt to being in a foreign country or be pleasant and polite to the reception or waiting staff. Why go abroad if you want a home from home, with the same UK food, and don't expect to adjust to a different way of doing things. The hotel is a little tired in some areas - many of the towels have seen better days. The sundeck consists of tables and chairs, and deck chairs (which aren't the most comfortable after 30 minutes or so). I think they could do themselves a favour and invest in some sun loungers, that way people will spend longer on the deck (rather than going elsewhere to sun bathe). It's reasonaby priced, and I'd definitely stay again as the location is fantastic. The Thomson people were on half-board, but I wouldn't bother as there are so many places to eat in the Marina and in town that you are spoilt for choice. Sorrento town is 10 minutes walk with some steps, which older less able people might find difficult, but then I think you'd find a problem anywhere in Sorrento or Amalfi coast if you have mobility problems as all the towns are built on steep hills.

Room Tip: Ask for Room 105 or 106 - huge terraces ,and fantastic views out to sea, beach, and marina.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 September 2012

my husband and i had 1 weeks stay here. the hotel is spotless the maids work very hard to achieve this. we stayed half board and were very happy with the food. the walk into town maybe long but the scenery is beautiful. the staff at the admiral are exceptional and attentive. the views of vesuvius breathtaking and i loved waking up to that. the port of marina grande is lovely and scenic. the locals are friendly and there are a few restaurants to try. i cant wait to return to this beautiful country the best holiday so far.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank emjay lpool
Reviewed 11 September 2012

We stayed here for 10 days and had an incredible holiday. We were initially sceptical about going to a 3 star hotel, but were pleasantly surprised. The hotel was very clean & our maid rosa kept our room spic & span and replaced the towels on a daily basis. The breakfast was continental, but there was always sausage, scrambled eggs & fried eggs available and occasionally bacon. Breakfast was served between 7 & 9.30 and there was never any rush or queues for food. The waiting staff in the restaurant were very pleasant and happy to attend to your every need.

We did pay for half board but only ate in the restaurant twice - this wasn't because the food was poor, but due to personal choice as there are so many eateries in Sorrento and around the hotel in Marina Grande. The twice that we did eat in the restaurant the food was nice and there was plenty of choice.
The hotel is a short walk from the main Sorrento town and is up hill, but there is a bus every 20 mins if needed.

All in all a perfect hotel in a perfect location in Marina Grande with staff who are very friendly and obliging.

I would recommend this hotel and if available ask for a sea view room as on a good day you can see naples & mount Vesuvius.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank redders2211
Reviewed 4 September 2012

It was great to spend 2 weeks in an Italian hotel with Italian guests.
The location of this hotel cannot be bettered ...... right at the end of the charming village of Marina Grande with views across the bay to Mount Vesuvius.
The food is excellent and is purely Italian ..... with one gala buffet and one gala dinner per week .... due to the weather luckily served out on the terrace while we were there.
Breakfast is mainly continental ..... but there was bacon on occasion.
The staff in all areas are very friendly and helpful.
Regarding the walk up to Sorrento ..... there are 2 routes ..... 1 via the road took 15 minutes door to door (to Hotel Ascot) where the excursions leave from.
The route via the steps at the far end of the village perhaps 20 minutes ...... and that's for 2 over 60's.
The rooms are comfy and it's probably worth paying for the sea view.
I believe that between the end of the 2012 season and the 2013 season a re-furb of some areas is planned.
Book it and enjoy a real Italian vacatiion

Room Tip: Book a full sea view room
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank GrouchoWestMidlands
Reviewed 3 September 2012

The holiday here at the Admiral is the most relaxing time in my year.
I have visited this hotel 9 times and never tire of it. Luigi has always produced lovely meals, especially the vegetable pancakes on Gala night. The Buffet was the best so far thank you Luigi.
I now have a new member of staff on my photo list, Guilio who is very lovely. Andreas is the only member of staff who I have known since my first trip. He's great. will miss everyone until next time. Thank you Francesco with my request.
The weather was amazing and our trip to Amalfi which we have done every visit was excellent.
We have met some really nice couples again this year, especially Roland and Barbara who like to have a laugh, and the couple above us in 205, but unfortunately did not get their names.
I am coming back, but haven't booked yet. Its a bit soon after last weeks visit. Have to run it past husband first.

1  Thank Admiralsgirl
Reviewed 3 September 2012

the staff are great at this hotel nothing to much trouble and the food very good and so interesting we had chips ones the breakfast is continental but plenty of choice worth getting out of bed for the sun gos of the sun deck at 14 30 so go for a walk then to the other side of the lovely harbour and sit and watch people fish a real chillout place no disco s here will go back no probs we had room 208 no sun on this room but the shade was nice the view was something else you will not be dissapointed if you have trouble walking you will have to get the bus to sorrento 10 mins and 1 .20 euros 1 way walking 15 min the organist every night was ok but they realy should have nothing or something else some nights overall a great place to go and chill regards alan and rose

Room Tip: top floor 500 400
2  Thank forestBurtonOnTrent