Hotel Admiral Sorrento
Hotels.com
US$516
US$407
  • Breakfast included
Grand Hotel De La Ville Sorrento(Sorrento)
US$363
  • Pool
Grand Hotel Ambasciatori(Sorrento)
US$1,100
1,075 results
All reviewsmarina grandesea viewhalf boardbay of naplesgala nightfishing villageminute uphill walkthe busmount vesuviusthomson repevening mealup hillhuge balconymain townhead waiterwelcome meetingdecking area
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I am sorry to start this review with a negative title because there are so many positives. They are as follows
Location; second to none beautiful views over to sorrento,Vesuvius and Naples. Marina Grande is a haven and so peaceful .It is like walking into a film set it is so perfect. There are good links on public transport to sorrento in the form of two bus companies, however,they stop running in the autumn at 7 pm and as the weather was very wet when we were there 4-11 Oct we were unable to get into sorrento in the evenings.
Cleanliness- the Hotel Admiral was spotless bed linen was changed once whilst we were there towels were replaced and toiletries replenished.
Atmosphere/Ambiance- there is lovely friendly atmosphere. The decor is very modern and the bedrooms are lovely in white with new furniture and very comfortable beds. There were plenty of hangers but more space in the form of drawers would have been good or some shelves.
Restaurant- Very well organised and staff were very helpful and hard working .They were always immaculately presented.The pasta and meat dishes were good . The Gala and specialty dinners were very good.
The things that were not so good were that I have an allergy to milk and gluten so as always before booking I made sure via email and phone calls that the hotel were able to accommodate this I was told no problem I did not need to worry so I booked . I followed up with further phone calls and emails after booking and close to our travel date i.e. 3 days before travel just to make sure. Again I was reassured that this was no problem. On arrival I made myself known to reception and asked what I needed to do in the restaurant she told me that everyone knew and that I should tell the head waiter at Dinner. This I did and I was told that they had Nothing sorted for that evening but they would have bread the next morning. When I inquired about milk they looked blank and said we will get tomorrow. I said ok and had black coffee. The next morning at breakfast and the for the rest of the holiday there was no problem with Gluten free side of my requirements however they could have done more in the way of choices of desert having seen in the local shops a vast variety of gluten free cakes biscuits etc.All I had to chose from was fruit salad !.The lactose free side of the issue did not fair well as it took several conversations with reception who just kept telling me not to worry it would be sorted tomorrow meanwhile I could not even have a cappuccino in Italy or any cereal {gluten free} . I even went to the local supermarket and bought some myself {I don't see why I should have shop for myself having paid £500 per week }and took a photograph of the alternative for them. It took until day 5 of our 7 night stay there for them to actually have it in stock .This was very frustrating and stressful as it felt as though we were always having to speak to reception to stress the importance of this and how it was a basic need. I asked the Thomson rep Liz to intervene as she spoke Italian having lived in Italy for some years all she came back with was a lame excuse that "I don't think they get it in Italy Love!" Which is strange because it is more readily available in supermarkets in Italy than In uk. Not impressed as I think you can guess.
It stated on our booking that we would have a bath and shower but we were minus the bath and the shower had such a small foot print that you could hardly turn around without getting the shower curtain stuck to you. After the problem with the milk we didn't bother questioning the bath problem.
In the restaurant the vegetables were not very good quality and were not hot the mash potato was instant and there were no extra sauces or condiments. Also the dining room was very cold because of air con.
I also think the practice of having a tab instead of paying for things as you go is a bit of a ploy to make more money the hotel is so small that there should not be a problem with taking payments through a till .
We still enjoyed our stay in Sorrento but if it wasn't for the beautiful views and the Marina Grande itself I would not stay at the Admiral again unless they can iron out all of the above ..

Room Tip: we had room 201 with a partial sea view which was beautiful but did not have a bath as promised.
2  Thank Kathryn C
Reviewed 24 October 2013

top location.. great room & view... brilliant food & service that will henceforth set the standard. Here you are really in the heart of Sorrento. Not away on the clifftops. SDtay here .. you will LOVE it!

Room Tip: Get a 'Harbourside' room...(*01-*04) great view but more privacy that the 'Full Sea View' at the front (& cheaper!)
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Graham W
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We stayed for 10 days recently and highly recommend this hotel. The room was spotlessly clean with fresh towels and linen most days. We had a room overlooking the pool at the front but requested a room with a large balcony, we were moved on change over day to 305.This room was much bigger and the view incredible - nothing was too much trouble.

We see many comments about the mashed potato and cherry tomato as vegetables with the main course. Didn't people realise this was the garnish and there was an array of vegetables and salad for selection at the side to help yourself too.

The staff were all very friendly and always ready to help.

Should we go back to Sorrento we will definitely stay at The Admiral. It is away from the busy centre of Sorrento in Marina Grande, which is more like a village with a few bars and places to eat. Maybe the walk into the centre is a little steep but the local bus runs every 30 mins, so no problem.

If you want 5 star this is not the hotel for you but as a 3 star it is excellent value with 5 star views across to Naples and Versuvios.

Room Tip: The larger front rooms with a large balcony are the best.
Reviewed 13 October 2013

There is a one and half transfer time from the airport to the hotel - including a swap over to a mini bus once you're in Sorrento for the final 10 minutes of the journey. If you can, sit on the right hand side of the transfer coach from the airport for some truly stunning coastal scenery.

On arrival check-in was quick, receptionists were friendly, but our room wasn't ready. We really didn't mind because we were able to sit outside on the terrace with a couple of beers and take in the amazing views across the Bay of Naples and Mount Vesuvius, which was a lovely start to our holiday. There is a small pool on site, but we didn't use it. Also looks like it would be shaded from the sun so quite cold.

We were very lucky to have room 105 - possibly one of the best in the hotel with a very large balcony. It's worth mentioning that the hotel has had a bit of an update since some of the pictures on this and other sites and is now whitewashed exterior with a mostly white decor. The room and large bathroom was spotlessly clean, as were all the main public areas. The bed was comfy, plenty of space in the room for us - the only thing we struggled with for the first couple of nights was the sound of the bells chiming from the nearby church (on the hour, quarter past, half past and quarter to!) Charming during the day, annoying at 4am ;)

The hotel is located away from the hustle and bustle of the center which is reached by a fairly steep walk up some steps (about 10-15 minutes) or there is a bus stop. It's also about a 20 minute walk to Marina Piccolo where you can catch the ferry across to Capri etc. and about the same to the train station if you wanted to brave public transport to get to Pompeii or Herculaneum. There is no entertainment to speak of apart from Gala night and an occasional turn from a Phoenix Nights style singer/keyboard player. Might not be the place for you if you like a bit more to do, or more of a atmosphere, but I guess you could always wander up into town (but take a torch for the walk back!) or even just stay in the Marina - more about that later.

As we were half board, we ate in the hotel on our first night - we've never done half board before, we usually self cater but this wasn't an option here. Unfortunately it's the food lets this place down, served lukewarm, and always accompanied by a splodge of piped mash with a raw carrot on top. Breakfast is also a below-par experience: standard continental buffet, including the now infamous cold fried eggs (as mentioned in other reviews), and coffee even a motorway service station would be ashamed to serve! Also, I didn't think the waiting staff ever looked happy to be there - maybe they were embarrassed by the quality of food they were serving! Despite this, we did attend the buffet and Gala nights with friends and they were a bit better. Watch out for the barman offering you a limoncello at the end of your meal - we assumed it was free and was then charged 4 Euros each for what was essentially weak alcoholic lemon squash!

On the plus side, the poor standard of food gave us the perfect excuse to get out of the hotel and eat at some of the amazing restaurants right outside the hotel along the Marina Grande, but I appreciate not everyone would want to do this if they had paid half board. Avoid the place closest to the hotel, looked a bit 'touristy' - our favorite was the fish restaurant owned by a co-op of fishermen near the steps - perfectly cooked fresh food and they are never in a rush for you to leave. We went with friends and drank them out of beer one night - oops! - also do great espresso and you get a proper (free) limoncello with your bill. Just keep your head down when you pass the Five Sisters place, she'll hassle you to go in but the place (and the owner) looks like it could do with a good wash... Good espresso and cheapest beer on the Marina can be found at Nonna Emilia's bar (past Emilia's Tratorria) just by the entrance to steps on the left hand side of the Marina. I would recommend eating on the Marina rather than walking up into Sorrento - it's much more authentic, and it's where you'll find all the locals eating so it must be good!

So, in summary... Location is excellent (especially if you request a seaview room) but best to treat it like a self catering holiday then you won't be disappointed by the food! We would book this hotel again.

4  Thank barneybear75
Reviewed 12 October 2013

We have just returned from a week at the Hotel Admiral , this is not the first time we have visited Sorrento and I must say that this hotel must have one of the best views in sorrento as it looks out directly over the sea across to Versuvius and Naples and it is wonderful to sit and take in the views either from your balcony(if you have booked a sea view) or the terrace whilst having drinks of an evening.Most of the other hotels are either on a cliff face overlooking the sea or in the town.
The room we had was room 302 which was classed as a partial sea view but had a lovely view of the sea and the Marina and it was great watching the sun come up of a morning directly ourside our window, unfortunately it was spoilt a few days later when sunbathing on the balcony we noticed a chap from a building opposite looking into our room with binnoculars. We did report this to Liz the Thompson rep who took it very seriously and acted promptly by ensuring our room was changed the following morning from the side of the hotel to the front.(Apparently we weren't the first staying in this room to report a similar incident).This did not stop us having a pleasant stay. The hotel itself I would rate somewhere between 3 and 4 star, there are one or two things lacking such as a fridge and kettle in the rooms and although quite a good breakfast the evening meal is fine but a little bland and the entertainment provided of an evening a little dated. Also wireless internet in reception not great and would be better if a connection in rooms was available.This said still a good hotel, spotlessly clean with very pleasant and helpful staff in a lovely location and a lot quieter than in some of the busier areas.There is a decent sized terrace and swimming pool and the lounge area is light and airy with a bar that is open all day to serve either alcoholic drinks or beverages

The Admiral is situated in Marina Grande which despite its name is smaller and older than Marina Piccolo and other than the hotel and a couple of restaurants and cafes it is mainly occupied by fishermen and a few well fed cats, all of which add to its charm . I would happily recommend this hotel (unfortunately just not room 302 ,shame !)

Room Tip: Make sure when booking you ask for sea view, I would not recommend room 302.