“I honestly can't understand the other reviews!”

Hotel Admiral Sorrento
Ranked #41 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Dublin, Ireland
“I honestly can't understand the other reviews!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2010

I honestly cannot understand how this hotel has gotten such good reviews from other people and how it is now rated in the top 30 hotels in Sorrento.

Some of the reasons why I would not recommend this hotel are:
1) I'm 28 and I travelled with my girlfriend, who is also in her 20s and the first thing we noticed was that we were about 40 years younger than the average person in this hotel so I would not recommend it for young travellers. I know that travellers to Sorrento are generally that bit older but this was exceptional.
2) The 'swimming pool' is a joke; it's hidden from all sunlight by the hotel, the water is freezing and salty, presumably just pumped in from the sea! Also the sun loungers are very uncomfortable.
3) The location is not great in my opinion, it's way down in the fishing village, about 20 minutes uphill walk to town or you can take the bus, which only goes roughly once per hour. The people in the more expensive hotels are literally looking down on you!
4) The food was disgraceful; granted we only ate here once because there are so many amazing restaurants in the town but when we did we ordered a simple burger and chips for lunch and we got a burger made from meat from an unknown animal that was undercooked, and frozen chips that were still frozen. (In hindsight we probably should have ordered Italian but it was towards the end of the trip and we just wanted something quick and easy)
5) The staff were not exceptional as has been claimed in other posts: on arrival the guy at reception just threw the keys at us and was very unhelpful when we asked if we could still get food in the vicinity as it was 10 at night. Also there was never anyone to help with bags and when I asked could I use the internet to check our return flights it was as if they were doing me the biggest favour in the world by letting my use the computer.
6) The whole place feels like it is stuck in the 80s with its outdated decor
7) The lobby/bar is a depressing place at night with middle-aged and elderly couples sitting around not talking to each other looking like they'd rather be somewhere else
8) The value-for-money was just terrible: a week here cost 875 euro, about 1000 when drinks from the bar were added on.

The good things about this hotel are:
1) It is in Sorrento
2) It is beside a fantastic family-run restaurant called Delfino that serves a great menu of the finest and freshest seafood in Sorrento and is renowned for the quality of its dishes at very affordable prices.

So overall I would not recommend this hotel; for the same price or a bit extra you could stay in a much nicer hotel, with a far better location and atmosphere.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Richykav

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2010

Brilliant hotel, friendly staff, sheets and towels changed daily. Very clean. The breakfasts were fabulous. We had amazing sea views over the bay of Naples without paying a supplement or booking in advance.

From the airport get a bus costing 10 euros and then walk (10 mins) to the hotel don't pay the £80 transfers with Expedia.

Around Sorrento: check your change, don't go in anywhere that doesn't display a menu as they will charge what they want. Expect to pay between 45 and 60 euros for a meal for two apart from at De Francos, a fab licenced cafe that does the best pizzas anywhere at around 6euros each (it's opposite the post office). If you use a motobike/scooter at home, hire one here. there is a method in their madness and its a cheap way to do the sites

aberdeen scotalnd
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2010

I would say not for young family more suited to couples of any age who are looking for a family friendly run hotel that has all that you would get from a much larger hotel without any hassle - It was quiet no loud music just the sea lapping up agains the decking wonderful......

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2010

Location

In a word, superb. Fantastic views of Sorrento, surrounding coast and Vesuvius. Unlike a lot of (higher starred) hotels Admiral is within 10 minute walking distance of old town. The hotel is set in a quiet, peaceful area. Local (mainly fish) restaurants in marina are well patronised. Hill to town not suitable for those with difficulties walking. Marina Grande is a working fishing port that combines locals and holiday-makers well. Small black sand beach, cheap sun beds we are told.

Hotel

Small and cosy, needs a lick of paint and a bit of touching up here and there. Top floor long balconies amazing, we had room 410
Small salt water pool sufficient for cooling off.
Excellent terrace with bar. Relatively small sunbathing area but sufficient for number of guest when we were there.
Snack bar cheap. Bar well priced, 4 Euros a large beer (in town beer was 5 Euros)
Food – mostly good. Gala night good fun, nice to see chefs smiling face when he was introduced to diners. Sunday buffet very impressive and set on the terrace, food was excellent.
Entertainment was man on keyboard every night, not so good
Staff were all friendly and smiling all times
Rooms was clean but balcony could have done with a brush and table wiped.
Pay the extra for sea view – only a small cost and worth every penny

Rep - Jamie

Excellent - Positive, friendly, helpful. Best rep we have had. Told us he loved his job and this was evidenced by his enthusiasm. Getting to know Sorrento walk was excellent

Must mention

Amalfi Drive – magnificent views (get on right hand side of coach) Iris was the tour guide, best guide ever. Knowledgeable, passionate and funny.

What could be better?

Free or at least cheap Wi-Fi
Fridge in room
In room safety deposit boxes.

Would we recommend Sorrento? Yes
Would we recommend Marina Grande? Definitely
Would we recommend Hotel Admiral? Resounding yes

Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2010

We arrived by bus from Naples airport and then took a taxi to the hotel. This was funny as it dropped us in the middle of the square in Marina Grande and then left us to actually find the hotel! It was lovely though, that it was so tucked away. It meant it was very quiet (except for the night there was a random festival in the marina with fireworks - very exciting!).

The room was very spacious and clean with amazing air conditioning. We expected a bog-standard room overlooking a wall but were amazed to find we had an incredible sea view (from the side, which we actually prefered as not as many people could overlook our spacious balcony. The free bottle of wine topped it all off for me (especially as my bf didn't like it so I had to drink the whole bottle!!). Reception staff were very helpful and the breakfast was varied and constantly refreshed.The terrace was amazing, over-hanging the sea but the salt water pool was way too cold for me, even in 40 degree heat!

It was a fair walk into town, especially in the heat but there were amazing views all the way up the giant steps and the town was worth it. You could get a bus every 20mins for the square though.

We ate out every night and loved the restaurants in the marina. All with fresh sea food, it was hard to decide what to have! Our favourites were the one closest on the left (walking away from the hotel) and the one two further away from the first - sorry, can't remember the names!

Capri and Pompeii definately worth a visit too!

Overall, an amazing stay in Sorrento and would definately return to Hotel Admiral!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
SCOTLAND
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2010

that is how welome we felt at this lovely hotel i was there in june 2010 with my adult family of 5 - all the staff were a delight( and to me they called me mamma (it made me feel italian... it was nice)
the food /location/.views were wonderful!!
so much to see and do....a week was not long enough
we hired a boat (at marina grand) for 800 euros and went to capri /positano/amalfi .. worth every penny ,the amalfi coast was beautiful to view by boat.
a big thank you to the manager of hotel admiral , he gave us 3 rooms together and was waiting to greet us when we arrived, late in the day .... .. you made a good holiday wonderful ...and not forgetting the other staff who seemed very happy working at hotel admiral.
i have stayed in many hotels all over the world ... but have to say they did not feel like home as this one does!!!!!
I will visit this hotel again just love it !!!!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank LADYFISHERSCOTLAND
Oxford, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2010

We stayed at the Hotel Admiral for three nights B&B from the 3rd July 2010. This was our fourth visit to Sorrento and our first visit to the Hotel Admiral. When reviewing this hotel it is important to assess it in line with its star classification and cost.

The Hotel is located in the Marina Grande, this is an active fishing village, has some restaurants and two beaches. It is about a 10 minute walk up hill to the main centre of Sorrento and is probably not the most suitable for people with mobility difficulties. However, there is a bus that goes to the centre every 3o minutes or so for €2.40 for a daily travel card. There are a couple of shops where you can buy cold drinks and snacks. On the main steps out of the Marina there is a family run veg store with a cold fridge where you can buy cold drinks, we found this to be the same price as the main square and the people were lovely. Every time we stay in Sorrento we tend to eat in the Taverna Azzurra, this is a sea food restaurant, it does great seafood, pasta and is very reasonable with great service. There are lots of stray cats around the area, being a cat lover I did end up feeding them left over fish and some cat food so probably to the locals appeared a mad cat lady but, it’s so sad seeing how skinny they are!!!

We stayed in room 219, this was a standard room with a balcony. The room overlooked a building approximately 5 metres away and to the left there was a view of the sea. The room was very light. The room was a fair size, it had two twin beds, a TV, dressing table, wardrobes and very good air con. The bathroom was a good size, too, the shower was very powerful and there was plenty of hot water on the downsize the hair dryer was not very good at all and was virtually no aid to drying my hair, definitely take your travel one with you. On the down size the room could be a little noisy first thing in the morning when breakfast was being prepared. If there was a fridge in the room this would be very useful.

There is a small pool and solarium. The pool is sea water and partly based in the shade. The solarium did get busy and there were a couple of guests reserving their loungers at 07:30 despite the pool not opening until 09:00. The pool area felt a little crowded at the beginning of the day but, by noon most of the people gradually left leaving plenty of room. The pool bar was very reasonable for drinks. The food looked nice however, we did not order any so cannot pass judgement.

The breakfast in mainly continental also with a small selection of hot food. The variety of food available is very good. There is fruit juice, water, Tea and Coffee available. A disappointing point is there are plastic cups for fruit juice / water and no glasses. The hotel concierge were mainly welcoming and helpful with the exception of Nadia who I did not see smile once during our stay. The hotel terrace and pool size has fantastic views of the bay of Naples and I’m sure the rooms at the front of the hotel have great views. For a 3 star hotel this ticks most of the boxes and if you arrive with the right mind set you will have a memorable holiday in the heart of Sorrento.

Finally, would I stay here again? Yes. Would I actively plan to stay again? Probably not. Would I mind staying again? No. Would I recommend to my family and friends? Yes, however I would pass the above comments onto them.

3 Thank emma&simon