I honestly cannot understand how this hotel has gotten such good reviews from other people and how it is now rated in the top 30 hotels in Sorrento.
Some of the reasons why I would not recommend this hotel are:
1) I'm 28 and I travelled with my girlfriend, who is also in her 20s and the first thing we noticed was that we were about 40 years younger than the average person in this hotel so I would not recommend it for young travellers. I know that travellers to Sorrento are generally that bit older but this was exceptional.
2) The 'swimming pool' is a joke; it's hidden from all sunlight by the hotel, the water is freezing and salty, presumably just pumped in from the sea! Also the sun loungers are very uncomfortable.
3) The location is not great in my opinion, it's way down in the fishing village, about 20 minutes uphill walk to town or you can take the bus, which only goes roughly once per hour. The people in the more expensive hotels are literally looking down on you!
4) The food was disgraceful; granted we only ate here once because there are so many amazing restaurants in the town but when we did we ordered a simple burger and chips for lunch and we got a burger made from meat from an unknown animal that was undercooked, and frozen chips that were still frozen. (In hindsight we probably should have ordered Italian but it was towards the end of the trip and we just wanted something quick and easy)
5) The staff were not exceptional as has been claimed in other posts: on arrival the guy at reception just threw the keys at us and was very unhelpful when we asked if we could still get food in the vicinity as it was 10 at night. Also there was never anyone to help with bags and when I asked could I use the internet to check our return flights it was as if they were doing me the biggest favour in the world by letting my use the computer.
6) The whole place feels like it is stuck in the 80s with its outdated decor
7) The lobby/bar is a depressing place at night with middle-aged and elderly couples sitting around not talking to each other looking like they'd rather be somewhere else
8) The value-for-money was just terrible: a week here cost 875 euro, about 1000 when drinks from the bar were added on.
The good things about this hotel are:
1) It is in Sorrento
2) It is beside a fantastic family-run restaurant called Delfino that serves a great menu of the finest and freshest seafood in Sorrento and is renowned for the quality of its dishes at very affordable prices.
So overall I would not recommend this hotel; for the same price or a bit extra you could stay in a much nicer hotel, with a far better location and atmosphere.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and Travel Republic (UK) so you can book your Hotel Admiral Sorrento reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Admiral Hotel Sorrento