“Excellent stay”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Admiral Sorrento
Ranked #42 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Reviewed 1 August 2010

We have stayed here five times and have enjoyed each stay immensely. The top attractions are the location (literally over the Bay of Naples) and the very high quality food, especially evening meals.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Hotel Admiral Sorrento

Reviewed 21 July 2010

I have returned from the wonderful Hotel Admiral where I have spent the last ten days in the most special place for me. It is a sentimental journey, and somewhere I always want to be. Where my parents bought me as a young girl and now I come in memory of them. Guiseppe the Hotel Manager has raised the standard of this hotel and he is approachable, joins in with anything happening, speaks excellent English and has made my visits very happy. This hotel is an absolute treasure, quiet and although it does not suite everyone, not ideal for people wo cannot walk far, but there is a good bus service into town.
I have spent time listening to people moaning about the seaview room they have been given, he cannot give everyone a front sea view, so please if you cannot be satisfied better to find another hotel with more rooms. I personally think Guiseppe and his special staff are doing a wonderful job with the service they provide.
I am considering another trip soon, and will be looking forward to coming back to Sorrento. I have been a few times before.
Caio
Jan

2  Thank Admiralsgirl
Reviewed 20 July 2010

The service in the hotel was excellent, staff were always keen to help us find places we wanted to visit, book us trips and answer any queries.

The room was great, Simple but really spacious. We paid for the sea view room which was amazing, I would definitely recommend paying the bit extra for one as it feels as though you're on a cruise, as the hotel is literally on top of the sea. The only negatives about the room was no fridge and no safe box.

The location was perfect. Marina Grande is beautiful and there is a row of great restaurants and shops on the same strip as the hotel. This was ideal as after long day on a trip, somewhere to eat next to the hotel was better than going into the centre. There is a small beach on Marina Grande as well as boat hires and bathing decks. There is a bus to the main square (Piazza Tasso) from Marina Grande and back frequently, which ends at 11.20.

The things I liked most were the balcony as the view was amazing and the terrace for sunbathing. The trip to Pompei was very interesting but little shade and Capri was lovely, but make sure you get there early as everything closes early, including the ferry back!

Reviewed 16 July 2010

I honestly cannot understand how this hotel has gotten such good reviews from other people and how it is now rated in the top 30 hotels in Sorrento.

Some of the reasons why I would not recommend this hotel are:
1) I'm 28 and I travelled with my girlfriend, who is also in her 20s and the first thing we noticed was that we were about 40 years younger than the average person in this hotel so I would not recommend it for young travellers. I know that travellers to Sorrento are generally that bit older but this was exceptional.
2) The 'swimming pool' is a joke; it's hidden from all sunlight by the hotel, the water is freezing and salty, presumably just pumped in from the sea! Also the sun loungers are very uncomfortable.
3) The location is not great in my opinion, it's way down in the fishing village, about 20 minutes uphill walk to town or you can take the bus, which only goes roughly once per hour. The people in the more expensive hotels are literally looking down on you!
4) The food was disgraceful; granted we only ate here once because there are so many amazing restaurants in the town but when we did we ordered a simple burger and chips for lunch and we got a burger made from meat from an unknown animal that was undercooked, and frozen chips that were still frozen. (In hindsight we probably should have ordered Italian but it was towards the end of the trip and we just wanted something quick and easy)
5) The staff were not exceptional as has been claimed in other posts: on arrival the guy at reception just threw the keys at us and was very unhelpful when we asked if we could still get food in the vicinity as it was 10 at night. Also there was never anyone to help with bags and when I asked could I use the internet to check our return flights it was as if they were doing me the biggest favour in the world by letting my use the computer.
6) The whole place feels like it is stuck in the 80s with its outdated decor
7) The lobby/bar is a depressing place at night with middle-aged and elderly couples sitting around not talking to each other looking like they'd rather be somewhere else
8) The value-for-money was just terrible: a week here cost 875 euro, about 1000 when drinks from the bar were added on.

The good things about this hotel are:
1) It is in Sorrento
2) It is beside a fantastic family-run restaurant called Delfino that serves a great menu of the finest and freshest seafood in Sorrento and is renowned for the quality of its dishes at very affordable prices.

So overall I would not recommend this hotel; for the same price or a bit extra you could stay in a much nicer hotel, with a far better location and atmosphere.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Richykav
Reviewed 16 July 2010

Brilliant hotel, friendly staff, sheets and towels changed daily. Very clean. The breakfasts were fabulous. We had amazing sea views over the bay of Naples without paying a supplement or booking in advance.

From the airport get a bus costing 10 euros and then walk (10 mins) to the hotel don't pay the £80 transfers with Expedia.

Around Sorrento: check your change, don't go in anywhere that doesn't display a menu as they will charge what they want. Expect to pay between 45 and 60 euros for a meal for two apart from at De Francos, a fab licenced cafe that does the best pizzas anywhere at around 6euros each (it's opposite the post office). If you use a motobike/scooter at home, hire one here. there is a method in their madness and its a cheap way to do the sites

Reviewed 15 July 2010

I would say not for young family more suited to couples of any age who are looking for a family friendly run hotel that has all that you would get from a much larger hotel without any hassle - It was quiet no loud music just the sea lapping up agains the decking wonderful......

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2010

Location

In a word, superb. Fantastic views of Sorrento, surrounding coast and Vesuvius. Unlike a lot of (higher starred) hotels Admiral is within 10 minute walking distance of old town. The hotel is set in a quiet, peaceful area. Local (mainly fish) restaurants in marina are well patronised. Hill to town not suitable for those with difficulties walking. Marina Grande is a working fishing port that combines locals and holiday-makers well. Small black sand beach, cheap sun beds we are told.

Hotel

Small and cosy, needs a lick of paint and a bit of touching up here and there. Top floor long balconies amazing, we had room 410
Small salt water pool sufficient for cooling off.
Excellent terrace with bar. Relatively small sunbathing area but sufficient for number of guest when we were there.
Snack bar cheap. Bar well priced, 4 Euros a large beer (in town beer was 5 Euros)
Food – mostly good. Gala night good fun, nice to see chefs smiling face when he was introduced to diners. Sunday buffet very impressive and set on the terrace, food was excellent.
Entertainment was man on keyboard every night, not so good
Staff were all friendly and smiling all times
Rooms was clean but balcony could have done with a brush and table wiped.
Pay the extra for sea view – only a small cost and worth every penny

Rep - Jamie

Excellent - Positive, friendly, helpful. Best rep we have had. Told us he loved his job and this was evidenced by his enthusiasm. Getting to know Sorrento walk was excellent

Must mention

Amalfi Drive – magnificent views (get on right hand side of coach) Iris was the tour guide, best guide ever. Knowledgeable, passionate and funny.

What could be better?

Free or at least cheap Wi-Fi
Fridge in room
In room safety deposit boxes.

Would we recommend Sorrento? Yes