My wife and I stayed at Il Roseto and ordinarily I would have given it a good review but the problem was this was our 4th hotel on our trip and it was a bit of a disappointment because the others hotels were amazing. Having said that this is my FAIR review.
1) The staff are extremely lovely and this is probably the main saving grace for this B&B as they were very helpful and accommodating since they had essentially converted their own home to accommodate travelers.
2) Tony knows a lot of people in town and can get you into some great restaurants. He did this for us one night and the place was absolutely amazing. Scored big brownie points for this.
3) The location isn't as good as we expected for a few main reasons and this is the main reason it didn't get a shining review. The fact it is 30 meters off the main road is good, but the problem is that to go walking anywhere you have to stroll quite a way up an extremely polluted main street to get anywhere. I am fairly sensitive to 'bad air' and was coughing a lung up on the last day. You are literally the furthest point possible from either of the 2 nearest train stations. Its only a 20 minute walk (definately not the 10 minutes others state)....but the novelty wears off quickly due to the above reason.
4) From what I could tell only 1 room had a really good view, and it wasn't ours. We were in the garden which was nice but it had a view only of the side of the house and we had hoped for more after the booking said we had 'views' and our own private verandah...which was actually very public since everyone walked past it for breakfast.
5) Breakfast was great which is typical in Italy. Cannot complain at all. Service here was also perfect.
6) DO NOT use the taxi that the owners recommend. The guy is friendly and fun - but he is a con artist and he ALWAYS overcharges you. When he picks you up the meter is always over 8 EUROS before you even get in the cab when it should be 3.6 EUROS. I have a pet hate for this sort of thing and when I confronted him he suddenly didn't speak such good English. This didn't reflect well on the B&B owners since he was a friend of theirs with exclusive taxi rights....$15 EURO for a 5 minute ($22 AUD) drive is criminal especially when you need to use a taxi at least 3-4 times during your short stay.
My advice if you feel this is the accommodation for you:
Organise your own taxis, ask for the only room with a real view and make this the first leg of your Italy visit because you get better value overall in other Italian cities. If I returned to Sorrento I would pay a little extra for fancier accommodation with better views and central location - especially if your a couple looking for romance.
Hope that helps
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), LoveHolidays, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your B&B Il Roseto reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- b&b Il Roseto Hotel Sorrento
- Bed And Breakfast Il Roseto