“chic, contemporary, European heaven”

Maison La Minervetta
Ranked #1 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
pittsburgh pa
“chic, contemporary, European heaven”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2008

I just returned from our stay at the La Minervetta at the end of June....WOW....In reading all of the reviews....I have to agree that if you are planning a visit to Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast which is a wonderfully unique Italian destination, the La Minervetta is an absolute no brainer. It has everything you are looking for in a boutique hotel.... Charm, style, intimacy, wonderful staff, sizable roooms, beautiful appointments, great location, immaculately clean !!. I am a very compulsive researcher and when i came across this hotel on tripadvisor i was so ecstatic...I travelled to Europe with my wife and 2 teenage daughters. We visited London, Paris, Sorrento and Rome on a 16 day trip from Pittsburgh USA. We have stayed at numerous five star hotels around the world and my wife and I agree that when considering the whole package ...location, view, room, cleanliness, it was the highlight of our trip and the most unique, beautifully designed hotel that we have ever stayed at. The fact that the hotel is chiselled right into a cliff and was meticulousy designed with several terraces for reading and enjoying the view made it extra special.

Some reviewers commented negatively on the pool. Concersely I think the pool was perfect . It is about 24 feet by 10 feet and about 3 feet deep and resembles a Roman bath in apperance. It is ideal to wade in and stay cool. My girls loved it. Because of the position of the sun and the terrain the pool is shaded after 3pm in June. I agree with other reviews, that if you want to swim laps and do the traditional pool seen, go elsewhere. My feeling is, I can go to a pool anywhere but not one wiith such an historically Italian design and set in such a breathtaking, yet very relaxing atmosphere.

I read somed negative reviews on the staff being aloof. I couldnt disagree more. Those people need to get a life. I thought the entire staff was very helpful. Floriana is an absolute gem. I told her if she ever wants to move to Pittsburgh she has a job.

We also LOVED the location. We had a wonderful meal at Delfinos down the private staircase to Marina Grande our first night in town. The walk into town is a 5 to10 minute stroll on the Via Capo which has little shops along the way. I was imagining an isolated dark road. We actually looked forward to every trip into town, which were many. The location is ideally quiet as well. As much as we loved Sorrento it wan nice to go to the solace of the hotel at the end of the day. A nightcap on the terrace with the candles, the view, soft music...heaven.

Being the ultimate investigator, I always search out my options for a possible return visit. I went into the Bristol, Minerva, Excelsior Vittoria, Bellair and others...They are nice in different ways but they are in NO way the La Minerveta

I know I am getting a little long winded, but I know how compulsive I am and I want to make sure that I am addressing things that someone like me, who is VERY hard to please, would consider. We had the pleasure of meeting Eugenia the owner, who with her husband (a designer ) opened the hotel in 2005. What a delight. She has such an attention to detail that I really appreciate. The hotel in its fourth year looks virtually brand new. Our homes should be so well maintained and clean.

Overall if you are considering a wonderful Sorrentine experience the La Minervetta is THE place to be. My only reservation about writing this review was that the secret of the La Minervetta will get out ...It was worth every penny and more. We absolutely will be back.

JBJR USA

• Liked — unique design, terrain, views, intimacy
  • Disliked — leaving
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
5 Thank JBJRusa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2008

This is an absolutely wonderful place to stay; more like a very cool private house than a hotel. The attention to detail is marvellous and the staff are so warm and friendly. Romance, relaxation and style are the three words that sum it all up for me. Breakfast on the terrace was so delightful that you will not want to move, and at the other end of the day even the walk up from Marina Grande along the private steps are blissful.

The rooms are beautiful and so fresh and clean. Views are second to none and the bed was out fo this world.

Wrting this makes me want to return asap.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
Swansea
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2008

A wonderful hotel with superb rooms. What a view! Staff couldn't be more helpful. Delicious breakfasts served on the terrace.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank gypgyp
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2008

As always with all my personal travel I enjoy quite a substantial amount of research to find that perfect hotel in the perfect location to tailor as precisely to my expectations as possible. This met and surpassed every expectation which is a first for me ever. I read the reviews on trip advisor and every positive comment is 100% accurate and more.
From the moment you enter the front door you have a feeling of entering your shangri-la- that you have won the chance of experiencing a very special opportunity. There is a charming warm welcome from all the staff and the attention to detail is quite wonderful. Every whim and request is carried out with a minimum of fuss and 100% efficiency. The decor in the hotel is a result of the extensive travels of the family and their style is impeccable with so much to look at, enjoy and read. It's impossible to walk anywhere without something catching your eye.
The rooms are the perfect sanctuary for the travel weary and we had to change rooms during our stay (though this was administered without a hitch) our first room was number 8 which was a superior with floor to ceiling glass windows looking out at the spectacular view over the bay of Naples and majestic Vesuvius. This view had a kind of mind numbing effect- it rendered you speechless. I am very much NOT a morning person but the favourite part of my stay was waking up in the morning and pulling up the blinds to reveal the view.
We moved to room number 6 afterwards and it seemed a bit smaller but the white minimalist decor made use of the light and panoramic view, but had a bigger bathroom.
Bathrooms were spacious and filled with wonderful toiletries which seemed to be constantly refilled..
I loved the pool area and was sad that it only had sun until 2pm.. but hardly the hotels fault.. and I enjoyed the different spaces where you could relax read.. or even play yahtzee.. accompanied by a glass of wine and some snacks.. even the trays arrived like a mini work of art from the glasses and ceramic snack pots to the wooden trays.
It was a shame they didn't have a restaurant but I think if you were not forced out of the restaurant at least once a day the eventual departure might just prove too much to bear.
Floriana booked me a taxi to the airport and asked when do you want to leave.. I replied NEVER.
I can't wait to go back one day and be part of the magical minervetta experience- thank you!!

• Liked — The service and the setting
  • Disliked — having to leave
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank dancingtrav
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2008

We stayed at La Minervetta for the start of our honeymoon. Even though the guest book was filled with "honeymooners" the hotel didn't feel that way. La Minervetta is a beautifully designed boutique hotel, made to make you feel comfortable, relaxed and frankly, quite hip! The decor is beautifully crafted - bright colours radiate throughout the hotel.

The rooms are superb. Bright and appropriately spacious. Beautifully decorated. The floor-to-ceiling windows with the spectacular view are unbeatable. The terrace in the morning for breakfast is superb. Simple but plentiful. The evening terrace experience is very special. Siobhan made great margaritas, good aperitivi with nuts and olives and beautifully lit with candles.

The staff of three ran La Minervetta and were incredibly helpful with restaurant recommendations as well as being a great source of other local knowledge.

The pool is small - this is not a place for you if you want to hang out by the pool for a long time. It is a small, dark plunge pool and does not get any sunshine after the mid-afternoon.

A gem of a hotel. Free wireless internet or an internet computer would make it even better.

• Liked — The view from the terrace and the rooms
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2008

My wife and I spent the last 5 days of our honeymoon at La Minervetta in late May/early June 2008. We married a week previously in Tuscany and travelled to Sorrento on the recommendation of many. The hotel is wall to wall honeymooners, with a sprinkling of people celebrating their anniversaries, as such you won’t feel "special."

I would agree with most comments about the hotel, it is truly unique, a visual feast where no compromise has been made when it comes to the impact on the eye. I would also agree with all things said about the breakfast.

However, this hotel is not perfect; pushing to one side the small pool (which is more a very large jacuzzi) and the high drinks prices, there are two things that disappoint. The first it can't be blamed for and that's the location, I did not like Sorrento, it is highly, highly package holiday orientated (a bit of research would have told me this!) and given that the hotel does not serve lunch or dinner you have to leave in order to eat. Two recommendations for eating are "Inn Buffulo" (all things you can do with buffalo mozzarella and a welcoming, enthusiastic host) and "Il Buco" (the best and most expensive in town, but very good). Ultimately I would sum up the location issue as being that the type of people attracted to the hotel wouldn't like Sorrento.

The second, more subtle, issue I had was around the welcome and how you were dealt with and helped generally. Don't get me wrong the staff are friendly enough, but in a hotel that is so impacting on look, I just felt we could have been made to feel more welcomed. No doubt, our judgement was clouded given that we had been the lucky victims of the Tuscan welcome for 10 days prior.

• Liked — The decor
  • Disliked — The town it found itself in
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JAFA79
Malta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Minervetta for four days at the beginning of May, and it couldn't have been a better start to our honeymoon. We stayed in Room No. 8, a corner room which had two walls covered in floor to ceiling windows. Apart from the fact that waking up to views of the Vesuvius and sipping wine on the comfy armchairs watching ships and fishing boats cruising just beneath us was in itself an amazing experience, the hotel overall is difficult to fault - here's a breakdown of what it was like:

Staff - very welcoming and helpful front desk, room and breakfast staff. Booking via the hotel's website was a breeze thanks to Floriana. Suggestions as to where to visit and where to eat, bookings for taxis and restaurant reservations were greatly useful and appreciated.

Room - the hotel only has 12 rooms and we were lucky enough to book the last available room two months before we visited. The decor is nothing like we're used to at conventional hotels - each piece in an original work of art, and the theme is maintained throughout the hotel, even in the small alcoves you find going down the private stairway to Marina Grande below. Cleanliness was top-notch, with the room being made up sometimes even twice daily. In the rooms and spread all over the hotel there's an incredible collection of interesting literature - despite the value and appeal of what I believe are collector's editions, they're available for guests to flick through them. The well-stocked minibar was typically overpriced, but contained a good emergency supply of sodas, beer and snacks.

Food - there's no hotel restaurant, which I would consider an advantage in Sorrento since we got to visit a different restaurant each night, as per the staff's spot-on suggestions. Breakfast is served in the kitchen area, and on the terrace. The buffet of freshly-baked breads, local cheeses and hams, yoghurts, juices, fresh fruit, cakes and different pastries, and eggs or omelettes cooked to our liking kept us going till the afternoon. Although a full drinks and coffee menu is available, we missed having a coffee-machine or kettle in our room for quick hot drinks. On our first evening we went down to dinner to a restaurant in the marina, and after an exhausting climb to the hotel we realised the reception area and terrace had been transformed thanks to the hundreds of candles that are lit up each night. The jazzy music helped us relax while sipping a hot drink before bed in the terrace overlooking a view of Sorrento. On another evening, we were recommended a restaurant called Da Filippo, which is about a 15 minute drive from the hotel - the restaurant sent us this three-seater vespetta to pick us up, which was great fun in itself! The pizza at Da Gigino in the town centre was the best we've ever had and my husband is still singing its praises!

Hotel facilities - the in-room TV had a few free channels plus pay-per-view options. The jacuzzi and lawn area in the level below is beautifully perched onto the marina and looked tempting, but the weather in May wasn't warm enough for a dip. The private staircase leading down to the marina is worth using, if not for the exercise especially when climbing back up to the hotel, then for discovering all the little niches along the way, where guests can relax while reading a book or drink some wine while taking in the views. Plus, the photo opportunities are great!

Apart from exploring Sorrento itself, we spent a day on Capri, which shouldn't be missed especially since it's within such easy reach from Sorrento. La Minervetta managed to make us forget all the stresses of the wedding and we really wished we'd have stayed longer. Even though Sardinia, where we spent the second half of our honeymoon was beautiful, we still couldn't stop talking about how amazing La Minervetta was.

• Liked — The views, the decor
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple