“Cleaner and comfortable”
Review of Hotel La Residenza

Hotel La Residenza
Ranked #84 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We had a great time in this hotel I recommend
Very nice prices for a great hotel
Good breakfast with a beautiful view of ocean, vezuvio, and Sorrento. I felt so relaxed, the hotel has a a wonderful garden as well
The staff is very friendly and helpful
The last day we had checkout at 5 am , surprise the provide a box with a breakfast for us , was very great and gentle
From the Hotel we walk 10 minutes for city center
Very good

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 5 July 2014

We've spent four nights in this hotel and I must admit that we went there with very low expectations, knowing that in such touristic areas in Italy hotels are very expensive and the quality is low. But it reality it was better than expected. The room was ok, quite basic, but we did not suffer. TIP: do not take a street view room, ask for a garden view, even if a bit more expensive. I guess what brings the added value is the fact that you can use the facilities of Parco dei Principi hotel nearby, mainly the breakfast room and the pool. The breakfast terrace has a stunning view and its really great to be there. The pool is the deepest I have ever seen in a hotel (3 meters) and it's filled with sea water. I personally enjoyed it. The gardens around the hotel are wonderful and well kept. Internet is working only in the reception area and sometimes on the breakfast terrace. The hotel is conveniently located 10-15 min walk from the center of Sorrento. They have a shuttle bus which costs 5 eur/person each way, I would recommend to simply walk there. The hotel has a private (stony) beach which costs 20 eur / day / person. We did not go there. All in all, I would go back if ever I am to visit the Amalfi Coasta again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Been to Italy many many times and know the way the Star rating and ACTUAL standards are and so was quite sceptical about how good this Hotel would be. On arrival the Gateway was Majestic and then we veered to the left and saw a block of "flats" and I was apprehensive to say the least. I shouldn't have been. Our Arrival at Reception was so so friendly with a great girl, sorry I can't remember your name, but she was so friendly with dark curly full hair and such a great smile and good english too.

We spent over 2 weeks in Italy this time and this Hotel along with it's Sister Hotel Parco de principi was the best without a doubt. We came away from this location actually totally relaxed and revived and a week later ( home ) we are still talking about it.

The room was standard and nothing to rave about but good and clean and quite modern. Nice and bright and large and facilities were good. Bathroom was very good and had everything we needed and so so so clean. We had a balcony that looked over the must luscious grounds and the Hotel was so quiet and so serene...a pleasure.

It is true that all the facilities are in the sister Hotel that is literally behind it and when I say behind I mean in the same grounds ( something we didn't understand before). It is literally the same grounds and if you want to think about it this way...you are paying 50% less for the same place apart from the bedroom! For me a win win situation as really I want 5 Star facilities and if the bedroom is 4 star ...well so be it. I am not in Italy to stay in my Bedroom but at the same time I want comfort and this is what we got.

Breakfast was in Parco de Principi every morning and exudes old age Italian charm. The location is phenomenal right in the Cliff and it really can't be described until you actually sit there, how amazing it really is. The Staff are also unobtrusive and service is impeccable and it just feels so right.

The pool in Parco again is so lovely and the beach is probably the best there is in Sorrento. Classy, elegant and indeed the least amount of stones anywhere. They have made a little beach in their beach side location...the rest of the floating promenades are not as classy and have no man made beach. This is by far the best of all that I experienced.

Just to end this....we were group of 36 varying in ages and continents. 6 of us stayed in Hotel la Residenza, 4 in Parco De Principi and 19 in Grand de la Ville and the remainder Hotel Eden. I will again say without doubt Hotel la Residenza beats it all for value and comfort. Now - in saying that, that is because of Parco de Principi.

Also, I don't understand how people can say it is 20 minutes from the centre when it is 8 minutes. We timed this every night and even when my parents walked up to us they were surprised how short it is. It is really a very very short walk to the centre. By the way it is 30 seconds to other Restaurants and shops.

Room Tip: Do not get a room by the road.....ask for a Garden view room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank BOGunner
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Six years ago we stayed at this hotel and had a wonderful experience with everything at this location. Breakfasts and entertainment downstairs nightly and that's why we went back, however this time everything was at the main hotel located a short distance walk from the rooms. The staff could not care less. No one smiled, greeted you or did anything to make your stay pleasant.
especially the hostess named Salmone. Professional but no personality whatsoever. Salvatore our waiter was the only one who was accommodating. The hotel rooms are very neat and clean and the views down by the terrace are breathtaking. Grounds were kept up but needs improvement. Our airconditioning made consistant noise that kept you awake each night. Breakfasts were non-appealing and everything scattered around the room. We actually like this hotel only for its senic view and hopefully will change in the future especially the staff.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with a terrace overlooking the grounds and not the parking lot.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Thomas B
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Rooms are just OK. Air conditional offered little comfort and was out of service one night.
The lovely pool closes at 6PM for some unknown reason. The property is lush and the view (where breakfast is served) is stunning. With that said I would not stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jimnsyr
Reviewed 13 September 2013

I stayed here from September 4th until September 10th. The breakfast was great- overlooking the water with views of Vesuvius. Stunning way to start your day. Its included in yoir reaervation. Huge buffet. There are two hotels here- La Residenza and Parco Dei Principi with the latter being the more upscale. I stayed at La Residenza which I felt was excellent with all the amenities of staying next door at a much better price.

The staff were like family and I was sad to leave them, Elvira, Maddalena worked during the day and spoke excellent English. The night attendant was Sergio who I became good friends with because of my fusorario (jet lag). He also speaks great English and is very professional as well as being a nice guy.

I cannot say anything bad about this hotel. The only thing I can think of is that it's about a 15 minute walk to the center of town. I enjoyed the walk and used it as my excuse to pig out on pizza, pasta and Fish and Chips at the English Inn. (yes I ate fish and chips in Italy and they were the best I've ever had) that being said, if you dont want to walk it, there are taxis ready to take you to the center of town for between 12 and 15 Euros.

All in all I give it 5 stars. Even the lady who cleaned my room was an absolute sweetheart. I left my gold necklace out one day and it was fine. In addition you could eat off the floors.

I will definitely be back there again.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Ok so this is a very satisfactory hotel however the rating reflects the value and not the facilities. It's quite acceptable so don't get me wrong but the room has basic furnishing no lounge or bar, and you have to walk to the sister hotel for such. I would recommend the Hotel principally as it represents such good value and you need to keep reminding yourself of that.
A sensible 20 minute walk into town which we enjoyed but you need to bear in mind if mobility is a problem and don't expect pavements throughout.
The sister hotel whose facilities you share has excellent has excellent views of the coast, a great sea water pool and an atmospheric verandah to sit and read whilst admiring the panorama.
Enjoy the savings and keep reminding yourself how much you have saved and you will see this Hotel in a positive manner. Would we return here? Not sure if I'd pay for a more luxurious room next time!

Room Tip: Always pay for a view of the gardens as the street rooms must be very noisy!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple