“Worst 4 star hotel we ever stayed in!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hotel La Residenza
Ranked #86 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
A TripAdvisor Member
“Worst 4 star hotel we ever stayed in!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2005

The Hotel La Residenza claims to be a 4 star hotel. This is the greatest bluff i've ever seen.

Firstly the staff are always engaged in duties with the 5* sister hotel in the same grounds, especially the pool staff.

The pool is never cleaned, the staff being at the other hotels pool, dead insects, leaves and other things i wont describe floating in it.

There is NO posibility of using the facilities in the other hotel, even though the staff are interchangable!!!!!

As for the breakfast.......... i think you get the picture

We would deffinately NOT stay there again unless we were paying 2* prices for the hotel.

• Stayed August 2005
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Boston
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2005

I stayed 3 nights at the Hotel La Residenza without being able to use the toilet in my room. When I first arrived I noticed a disgusting spot on the toilet seat. The woman working at the front desk came over to view it. We both did not know if it was some kind of fluid on the seat or something melted into the seat, but she was not about to touch it to find out. She immediately got house cleaning to come by to look at it. I was informed by house cleaning that this was a cigarette burn on the seat. I notified the front desk of this diagnosis and asked that either my room be changed or that the toilet seat be replaced. I was told that the hotel was fully booked so they could not move me to another room and also that there was nobody from maintenance around that could replace the toilet seat for me. I had to end up using the public toilet on the lobby floor during my three nights stay there. I asked to speak with the manager the first night and was told that there was no manager on duty. It was too late to speak with the mananger. They said I'd have to wait until the next day (which was during the time our group would be out touring).

After my first nights stay I spoke with a woman at the front desk early the next morning and told her that I wanted maintenance to replace the toilet seat that day since I was going to be out touring until 7:00pm. They still said there was not another room they could move me to. I asked that this issue be resolved by the time I came back later that evening. To no surprise what-so-ever, this situation was not resolved. The same cigarette burned toilet seat was still on the toilet in my hotel room. There was again no manager to speak with. It was either too early or too late to speak with this "Phantom" manager. The people working the desk were incredibly rude and insensitive. The gentleman working the desk told me that I was the one being rude and he refused to even acknowledge my situation. There was nothing at all that he could or would do for me. He said that maintenance didn't have the parts to change the toilet seat.

The last night of my stay the hotel finally offered to change my room since a group was leaving that day. By then it made no sense as I'd have to move my belongings for just one evening. I was going to be leaving early the next morning.

The public toilet looked like it hadn't been cleaned in years. There was a huge spider sharing the toilet with me for 3 days. It was just totally disgusting and I would never recommend anyone staying there.

Also, there was no air conditioning. The temperature was in the mid 80's during my stay. The only good thing was that I was on the bottom floor where it was cooler, but others in my group said that they could barely breath in there rooms because it was so hot. While at the front desk complaining about my situation others staying at the hotel came down to complain about having no air conditioning. The gentleman at the desk informed everyone that this was the law in Italy. Funny that I had just come from a hotel in Rome and the air conditioning was allowed from 4pm to midnight. The last time I checked, Rome was in Italy so I don't know what the guy at the front desk was talking about.

If you are looking for good customer service and cleanliness I would not recommend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed May 2005
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
6 Thank brenda g

Travellers are raving about these Sorrento hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2004

Like previous reviewers we were shipped to the second rate La residenca building when I thought we had booked a room at the Parco dei Principi 5* hotel.

The rooms at La residenca were 3* standard and very noisy - soundproofing was definitely a problem. Breakfast was adequate.

On the postive side we were able to use the facilities at the Parco e.g the beach, the large swimming pool and the fitness centre and were not charged for this.

On check out the hotel tried to charge us 40 euros for food and drink we had not had at the swimming pool. We had to wait about 15 minutes before they agreed to waive this. Even though this charge was waived I was angry at the humiliation we had to suffer and the attitude of the hotel staff. We had definitely not had this food and drinks and the signature on the receipt was not ours yet we were still made to feel like we were trying it on.

To add insult to injury when receiving the credit card bill back home we have been ripped off again by this hotel. For some reason this transaction has been charged at a different rate of exchange to all others and we have ended up paying £20 extra on this transaction (about 30 euros). Be aware of this if you pay by credit card - on checking the receipt I signed at the Parco there is a statement on it "decision to pay in foreign currency is final". I did not notice this at the time.

In summary, this hotel was not good value for money and I felt ripped off at being placed in the La residenca building. The only redeeming features are the main swimming pool and the nice gardens - everything else is about 3* standard - how it obtained a 5* rating beggars belief.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Chillicothe, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2004

We stayed at La Residenza on May 31 and June 1, 2004. The hotel gives the impression of being relatively new and built for tour groups. It is a sister property to a five star hotel adjacent to it, and guests of La Residenza are offered some of the facilities of the adjacent property for a fee. The hotel has a pool in a nicely landscaped location. The adjacent property is cliffside with a beautiful view; the La Residenza is streetside with no view of the harbor. The location is on the outskirts of Sorrento, and although we were advised the downtown area was within walking distance, sidewalks for the most part were a foot or a foot and a half wide if there were any at all, and it was like walking on a racetrack. I would advise against trying to walk into town from the hotel. Food was good, but the dining room was too small to accommodate several tour groups at a time, and breakfast resembled a cattle-call.

28 Thank Toofaraway
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2004

Not as advertised. Beware, We booked a room on the Internet at what we thought was the Parco dei Principe and get sent to the hotel's second rate "La Residenza" located on the same property. The "private" beach, which was one of the main draws for us, was $25 a day per person to use, so we took a bus for a day trip to Positano which was much better. The rooms were cold and sterile, bright lights (no bed side lamps), cold tile floor, bright white walls. There was a second, smaller, leaf filled and mosquito infested pool for the "second class" guests at the residenza. No ocean view for us either. If you go despite this review, enjoy the gardens, they are the best feature, and insist that the shuttle offered to the first class guests should take you to town/train station too -- otherwise it is at least a $20 taxi ride or 25 minute walk.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member