“Good hotel”

Ranked #84 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Edinburgh, Scotland
“Good hotel”
Reviewed 3 July 2007

We stayed at La Residensa for 4 nights in June as a base for sightseeing. We enjoyed our stay. The hotel was a good standard and the staff helpful. Breakfast was good, though we didn't eat dinner there.I had read some previous reviews but did not agree with many of the criticisms. The hotel was a 20minute walk from the centre of Sorrento but benefitted from being away from the heavy traffic around the centre. Having a drink on the terrace of the sister hotel, the Principe, gave wonderful views back into Sorrento. We also found a wonderful restaurant above the cliffs near the hotel which had similar wonderful views and sunsets.
As long as you don't mind a little walking this is a good base and much quieter than in the centre.

• Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tigger25

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 4 October 2006

I was apprehensive about staying in this hotel, having read some of the reviews before I left. Unfortunately these reviews are pretty accurate. I cannot understand how this hotel achieved 4 star status, in my opinion it is a two star hotel.
Our biggest problem was the fact that this hotel is on the grounds of a five star sister property but we were made to feel as if we were second class citizens by the porters from this hotel, for example being refused entry by the 5star entrance and having to drag our cases along a dangerous main road to reach the 'servants quarters'. We had no access to the beach, the courtesy bus, or any of the other facilities of the 5 star hotel, this we found unacceptable given the lack of these facilities at our own hotel.Any of the other 4 star hotels near us had a courtesy bus for example but we had to use public transport and do without a beach even though this was just a stones throw away. It is agood 20 mins walk into town -try doing that 3/4 times a day in the heat. (Incidentally I am a regular walker but grew tired of having to plan our days around the walking etc).
The food is poor and there is little choice. The waiters are however friendly and the rooms were kept very clean. I would not reccomend anyone to stay at this hotel.

• Liked — very good air condictioning. Waiters in dining room good
  • Disliked — location and lack of facilities
  • Tips/Secrets — Check what facilities you are being offered
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
1 Thank kacm

Travellers are raving about these Sorrento hotels

JCGK
Reviewed 23 September 2006

I booked La Residenza Hotel as I really wanted to see Italy. Myself and my mother went in August this year. We booked the quieter part, Sorrento as my mother is older. Much to our disappointment the Hotel was a disaster, the pool filthy, the staff terrible except for the waiters who were extremely nice. The Bar (an opening in a wall with 5 stools) opened at 7 and closed at 12. You could not get so much as a cup of tea from 9 in the morning until dinner at 7. The Hotel was sold that you could use the facilities in the 5* Hotel as to be a 4*you need to have certain facilities which this Hotel did not, however when we did try to enter the other Hotel the staff made us feel like second class - it was so embarrassing. And worse still when we spoke with other guests they all had the same opinion - on the bus returning to the airport we were asked to fill surveys and everyone had wrote complaints on theres - no one enjoyed the stay because of this. Finally I an upset to say that the Hotel and staff turned me off the beautiful country and I wont ever return to have a similar experience.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Tips/Secrets — Dont book nothing like any other 4* in Itlay you will be disappointed
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank JCGK
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 18 July 2006

I read the reviews from here before I left on my vacation and was a little nervious about this hotel because of some of the reviews on the site, but I must have stayed at an ENTIRELY different hotel from everyone else. This was a great hotel, with really friendly and helpful staff and I would recommend anyone stay here.

For starters, don't go near the main hotel. There is definately a class structure on the grounds which the staff of the main hotel re-enforces whenever possible - I was criticized for having the audacity to walk around without a shirt on a 100 degree day (and I'm not fat either). My wife and I (we were on our honeymoon) went to the main hotel for dinner one night and were promptly rejected by one of the waiters (but not the other three) because I had shorts on. The restaurant was empty, but hey, I was more than happy to spend my money at a better restaurant.

The hotel is a very comfortable 20-minute walk from the city center. For reference, my wife and I walked it in about 15 minutes without a sweat in July. It is a flat, straight walk following one road (Via Roma) all the way. It's not difficult - some parts are harrowing b/c of the narrow sidewalk - and offers some nice views as well (specifically the lemon orchards). There are only two restaurants, other than hotel ones, to eat at in that part of town. One was good, one wasn't special, but it's a very easy walk to town, so put on some sandals and walk in. But, the part of Sorrento the hotel is in is VERY quite - our room was on the street-side and only heard noise the night Italy won in the World Cup - a lot of honking and fire works explosions. If a 20-minute, flat walk is difficult and a reason for complaint, you have more serious problems to address besides this hotel's location

The staff was always friendly and helpful. I think some reviewers frustration came in that some speak no English; hey, you're in Italy where they speak Italian, not Ireland or the US. My wife and I know very little Italian, but we both speak Spanish, so with a little compromise we were able to easy communicate with the staff. And I made the dumb mistake of dropping my wedding ring into the base of shower - it wasn't capped, so as I was reaching over, I dropped it. The maintenance man, who didn't speak Italian, was more than willing to help me rip the shower apart to retrieve it - and we were never charged for repairs or anything!! I thanked that man every time I saw him from then on.
Room is good for European standards. The shower IS small. We're tall people and struggled a bit, but the shower head was removable, so we managed. Definately been in worse shower situations.

The pool was great! I'm not sure what the hype about the main pool is but it's a sea-water pool which is gross. La Residenza's pool was never busy, always clean and had an attendant for drinks, food, etc. The staff was not lenient on bringing outside beverages for consumption, but a little discretion easily fixed that problem.

Breakfast was gross! Worst coffee I've ever had! I've done the back packing rout and stayed in some [--] hostels, but this may have been the worst breakfast on record. ANd there aren't really any alternatives in town; your best bet is to choke down what you can (good selection of cereal and breads) and get a delicious lunch in town some where.

Sorrento was GREAT! A lot more quite then the neighboring cities - we originally were going to stay in Positano and thanked the heavens we didn't. There's not a lot to do in town per se, but we were there to relax and were offered more than we needed in that department.

Long story short: great hotel! There are some trouble spots, but nothing worse than I've encountered in 4 and 5 star hotels in the US. I think a lot of these people's complaints are unfounded, or the reviewers are lazy and/or so accustomed to their home lives that anything short of Houston, Texas is unacceptable. Ignore these people; I stayed there on my honeymoon and will recommend the hotel to everyone I know going to Sorrento.

• Stayed June 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 4 July 2006

The staff in the dinning room was kind and polite. The breakfast service was well run. There was a good selection of items. The eggs and sausage were beautifully done. We had dinner and it was delicious. The hotel was very clean. I wish they were open in the afternoon, I would have liked a coke light with ice on the veranda. The walk to city center is approx. 20 minutes. The first 50 meters of the walk is a death wish. It is a very narrow footpath with crazy driver zooming next to you. Good luck.

• Stayed June 2006
2 Thank maureen325
dublin
Reviewed 30 June 2006

We stayed in la residenza last summer for 7 nights. I had carried out much resarch on many hotels in the area and came to the conclusion that this one would be perfect. How wrong I was!!!!!
In the past I have done much travelling and never minded staying in a cockroach infested dump as it was what I could afford at the time, but after a long slog in collage and a year qualified we deceided to treat ourselves in a lovely 4star hotel.
I would have to say the management of this hotel have to be giving little backhanders to the Italian toursit board because under no circumstances is this hotel a 4star. Its not even a poor three star.
The pool was filthy and not cleaned once during our entire stay. The facilites of which the boast so highly about on their website are a joke. Yes they do have a bowling green only its under a mound of leaves, bushes and scrub.
The bar is only open during dinner time so it's not as if you can go downstairs and enjoy a drink. THe room itself was grand, no complaints there.
As for a short walk to the city centre, rubbish! Its 20-30 min walk along winding roads with mental drivers.
What infuriates me most is where they say you can availe of the facilites of the sister hotel. This is utter rubbish. On our first day we arrived at the pool in the sister hotel, ordered some lunch at extorniate prices and then were asked leave when we had finished.We were not allowed to use the pool even though there was not one other person there. It is not as if we had 4 or 5 kids with us. Just my partner and I going to the pool to read for a few hours.
Under no circumstances would I stay at this hotel again, I sleep in a tent in a hurricane before I would give these cowboys one more cent of my hard earned money.
The staff really need a few classes in people skills, general politeness.
Dont get me wrong, I generally do not make a fuss, but when your paying four star prices thats exaclty what you expect to be get, 4 star facilities.
I would strongly advise anyone who has made a booking for this dump, change it now , youll find cheaper and nicer

• Stayed August 2005
7 Thank Aoifeo
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 21 February 2006

While our stay at La Residenza wasn't entirely unplesant, I do feel we were misled when we made our reservation.

We could have booked at several different hotels on the Amalfi coast, we decided to book at La Residenza on the basis that the two hotels (La Residenza and Parco dei Principi) shared facilities, namely the beach. It rained our first 3 days, but upon attempting to use the beach on our last day when the rain finally stopped we were told it was not allowed, then eventually told we could use it but with a fee of 10 Euros each. We were also only allowed to use the smaller of two pools, even though there was no one using the larger one. Needless to say, if we knew we weren't going to be able to use the beach, we would have booked at a cheaper place in town.

The hotel itself is clean with lovely modern design. The gardens are stunning and peaceful for walking. Breakfast was OK, but not much in the way of variety. After 4 days it was getting pretty boring.

The location is about a 15-20 minute walk into Sorrento. I found it OK, but a little too far for a quick jaunt out for shopping or dinner. I'd recommend staying at a place closer in to Sorrento proper.

• Stayed September 2005