“Decent Hotel But Way Overpriced”

Hotel Sorrento City
Ranked #45 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Calgary, Canada
“Decent Hotel But Way Overpriced”
Reviewed 11 September 2012

Great location - close to train and all the action (e.g. shops, restaurants). Room is very average but clean. Breakfast also very average, but good enough. Internet connection very weak - had to sit by the door of our room to send an email. Girls at reception were very friendly (however male receptionist who checked us out was a bit odd - asked me if the t.v. remote was still in our room?? Did he think I stole it?! Lol) My main complaint though is the price - we paid apx. $185 CAD a night so I expected a bit more. Most rooms on our European vacation were around $140/night (even in the very touristy places) and they were as good or better. I would say here again if the price was reduced, but not worth $185.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank glowingheart77

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Turkish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 September 2012

I have stayed in Sorrento several times over the years, and each time I spend a lot of time looking at each hotel on-line i.e. reviews, price, photos etc. I was very happy when I came accross the Sorrento City. The rooms looked good, it was literally 100 meters from the station and also near the town centre.

When we arrived from Naples all tired hot and sweaty after a tiring journey, we were 'welcomed' by being told that there was no room for us. The receptionist politely informed us that there had been an overbooking. However, she told us that fortunately, they had another hotel nearby (Hotel Rivoli) which was of the exact same standard.

We were not happy, but co-operated - mainly because we were given no other choice. We then had to drag our luggage through the town centre and down a narrow side street (about 500mtrs - not 100mtrs!). Although the room was clean, we found the furnishings to be old and cheap looking. We were not happy because, had I seen this hotel on-line, I would not have booked it.

We then decided to go back to the Sorrento City to tell them that we were not happy. When we arrived there, I asked to see one of their rooms. I was reluctantly shown one. The room was exactly as described on-line and the reason why I had booked it. Also it was nothing like the Rivoli room. I told the receptionist that this was a far superior room, and that I was annoyed a being fobbed off. I told her that I was not going to accept the Rivoli room and that they either gave me a room at the Sorrento City or another hotel of a 'similar' standard that I had booked. She then phoned the owner. Within a couple of minutes, we were then offered the room we had just been shown! I asked about our luggage, which was still at the Rivoli. I was told there was nobody available to get it for us until the night ported came on duty later. We didn't want to wait, as this episode had already taken a couple of hours - we just wanted to get to our rooms and shower and change. So we walked back to the Rivoli and dragged our luggage back!
We still got the room we had originally booked, but frankly could have done without all the exersise! To cap it all, the breakfast waitress was sullen, rude and unfriendly!

I find it hard to believe that you could overbook such a small hotel, if I were cynical, I would think that this might be a way to fill the other, less popular hotel...

Had we been given the room in the first place as originally booked, without all the other drama, this would have been a much higher rating. I suppose that overbookings can happen, but if so, you should be offered a higher standard or a discount as a form of apology - certainly not lower! But neither happened in this case.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank lamato8113
San Diego, California
Reviewed 6 September 2012

This was my first time visiting Sorrento and I am very happy I found this hotel. From the moment I arrived, the hotel manager was very friendly and accommodating. The room was clean, modern and spacious for one person. There were very few english TV channels, but the hotel is right in the middle of the main square in town with restaurants, shops, and bars, so this did not matter. I wanted to stay another night here, but they were completely booked. The manager let me use the internet to find another place to stay, gave me several recommendations, and ended up calling the other hotel and booking my room for a discounted price. This is true customer service! Oh, and the breakfast was tasty, good cafe drinks, and fresh fruit, delicious! I definitely recommend this hotel for all types of travelers, especially if you would like to be close to everything in Sorrento.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Noah M
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2012

From first arrival it is apparent that this is the ideal centre-of-town hotel. Super clean and tidy, close to beach, harbour, shops, nightlife and restaurants, and train and bus stations. Rooms are not the largest but have everything you need. Buffet breakfast is good and reception staff are warm and friendly, knowledgable and helpful. Really cannot fault it. Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Hillwalker220
Reviewed 26 August 2012 via mobile

What a great hotel, within walking distance from coach/train station and main square and seafront which is great if your like me can't walk far, had small balcony which we could people watch, breakfast very good, overall we had a fantastic holiday with this as a great base

• Stayed September 2011
2 Thank picklelily10
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 22 August 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights in October 2011, and absolutely loved it. the staff were so inviting, the buffet breakfast had wonderful food, the rooms were really cute and a great size. Everything was so clean! Location was great, right near the bus station and all the shops/cafes.

Room Tip: the smaller rooms are out the front, but have nice balconies looking onto the main road