“Reasonable Hotel, Awful Management”
Review of Hotel Plaza

Hotel Plaza
Ranked #12 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 18 July 2010

Went to the Plaza for 4 nights at the start of our Honeymoon after selecting through TripAdvisor. The room on arrival was fine and clean although subsequently the floors and bedding would not be cleaned again during our stay! There was also a large bouquet of flowers from my parents which were lovely.

The Plaza has a lovely roof terrace and serves a fantastic breakfast - which are big pluses for this hotel.

That's as far as my recommendation can go for the following reason......AND I WOULD VERY MUCH WELCOME THE MANAGER'S FEEDBACK SEEING AS HE WAS SOMEWHAT EVASIVE DURING OUR STAY

We booked hotel parking for 10 euros a night. Arriving at the hotel, you discover that this is not standard parking. The parking is in a narrow driveway going under the hotel, and the cars are parked in a long line, which means you could be waiting a long time to get your car out.

The concierge requested we leave our keys with the hotel, and they would park the car.

The next morning we asked for our hire car, for it to emerge 20 minutes later, with a scrape down the side of the car! A car which I had put a 1500 euro deposit on!

Accidents do happen, so we reported it immediately to reception, who were very apologetic, and told us to speak to the manager when he was around in the evening. In reality all we could really expect is an apology from the manager, and maybe waive the parking fee as a gesture of good will.

In the evening we asked to speak to the manager, and were told he was unavailable. We then asked for the manager a total of 5 times over the following 3 days....again unavailable.

On the last morning, I went to settle to bill, and again speak to the manager. This time he was around, and he would be right with me. So I duly paid the bill including the 40 euro parking,,..stupidly thinking this would have an amicable conclusion. As soon as we had paid, we were told he would be 20 minutes. .............50 minutes later (of a 1 week honeymoon) and we were told he was no longer available. In hindsight, paying the bill promptly was the worst thing we could have done...........AND whilst waiting, the bouquet of flowers that we were going to take from our room, magically appear on the reception desk.

Yes, this hotel does the job, but if things go wrong do not expect ANYTHING even if it is going to totally ruin your honeymoon- it appears that this hotel is run by a dishonest and evasive manager. As for the flowers being taken from our room...it kind of sums this place up.

AGAIN I WELCOME THE MANAGEMENT'S COMMENTS

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank nomad_dave
Brunoplaza, Direttore at Hotel Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2010

Dear guests,
thank you for writing a review! However, I was perplexed to read your remarks about supposed poor cleaning in the room during your stay. We have made a reputation of keeping very high standards in this respect as confirmed by the positive reviews we keep receiving. Rooms are thoroughly cleaned, floors are mopped, linen changed, beds redone EVERY DAY! It is also surprising that you waited until some time after departure before reporting such a serious issue. Next time it would be advisable to do it immediately.
Concerning the little scrape on the car, I am terribly sorry and I do apologize for not being around when you reported it. As the manager, it has never been my custom to avoid complaints or issues legitimately raised by my clients. More than once I have welcomed guests in my office just to give them personal attention. Unfortunately, when you visited I was completely absorbed by some personal problems. Nonetheless, I know that my staff took your issue very seriously and offered assistance. With my permission, they even exceptionally gave you my mobile number which you had requested but in fact I did not receive your expected call. Best regards!

Reviewed 18 July 2010

Just back from 4 days at this gorgeous boutique hotel! Fantastic location just round the corner from the central piazza and walking distance to everywhere in Sorrento. The rooftop pool is simply perfect and the views amazing. Best breakfast I have ever been offered in a hotel and the staff all very helpful. Rooms & hotel spotless. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 July 2010

Great hotel, situated on a side street just off the main square in Sorento. Easy walking distance to the train station and located near top of steps access to ferries. Very modern and stylish design, without being over-the-top. Breakfast was faboulous - great selection and range of high quality foods. All staff were polite, courteous and attentive at all times, and they had the care of their guests as their main concern. Great roof top pool and lounge area, somewhat small be perfectly adequate. Fast wifi in the room and PC for free use in the basement. Only picky thing would be that the king sized bed (in the room we were allocated) was two single beds side-by-side. The hotel room was costlier that other four star hotels we priced but if the Hotel Plaza keeps up these high standards, they will be able to maintain a premium for their rooms. Would high recommend this hotel for the discerning guest.

Reviewed 18 July 2010

We have just returned from a seven night stay at the Plaza, wishing we had booked for longer - we were more than happy with our choice of hotel, our room perfectly sized and clean, nice bathroom, and the added bonus of a balcony, which I had emailed the hotel to request prior to our visit. The rooftop terrace was a lovely place to relax and sunbathe and the pool, although on the small side, has fab views. The staff (Cinzia particularly), always happy to help, from directions to arranging a late check out on our departure date. And the breakfast, delicious, I'm missing the doughnuts already!! The hotel is located approx 10 minute walk from the train/bus station, the port and only a couple of minutes walk to the main sqaure, Piazza Tasso.

There is lots to see and do in Sorrento and surrounding, and it is easy to get around yourself, we used bus and boat to travel to Positano (our favourite), Capri and Amalfi.

We will definately return to Sorrento, and would not hesitate to stay again at the Plaza - this hotel definately deserves all the postive reviews - loved it!!

Reviewed 16 July 2010

Excellent central location - 1 min from Piazza Tasso. Very smart, modern decor. Staff couldn't have been more helpful. Lovely roof terrace with small infinity pool and water mists to keep you cool in the sun. Excellent breakfasts - including Panna Cotta. Great base for Sorrento or exploring Amalfi coast.

Reviewed 15 July 2010

My wife and I stayed at Hotel Plaza on October 4-8, 2009, and had the most wonderful time there. The service, employees ambiance, cleanliness were just perfect. I wish everybody would stay there and enjoy the comfort of graciousness, cordiality and superb employees.

In particular, there are several employees which we found to be extraordinary. One is Rafaelle, the Front Desk Manager. He is the epitome of cordiality, knowledge, patience, concern, calm that every representative of any organization should emulate. If we were in a position to hire somebody from Sorrento for an executive appointment, I would hire him. I cannot say enough good words for Rafaelle and hope that he is a permanent member of the hotel organization. You have no idea what goodwill he brings The Plaza.

The second is Giuseppe, the waiter in the Breakfast Room. What a lovely person to remember each day what type of coffee we liked. He did this after the first day for 4 days, and I was overwhelmed by his concern, interest, politeness and cordiality. He too, in my opinion, is a true credit to your organization, and should be a permanent member/

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 July 2010

Was used as a base whilst visiting other places around such as amalfi; ravello; capri etc, but was lovely and spent a lovely afternoon chilling my the amazing pool. Breakfast is more than ample. I never normally eat much breakfast on holiday as is never that good, but came away alot heaver as a result of the superb breakfast. Staff in dining area and reception were attentive.

Summary:
Location is great.
Breakfast is amazing!!!!