“Worst hotel I've ever stayed in!!!”
Review of Hotel Cavour

Hotel Cavour
Ranked #124 of 143 Sorrento B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I would not recommend my worst enemy to stay in this hotel! It was the worst experience I've ever had. The pool was empty, the wifi didn't work, things were stolen from my suitcase as well as 3 of my friends, and one of my friends was locked in the elevator while she heard staff members laughing and mocking her. The staff was so unbelievably rude, except for the younger man who always worked breakfast. The view from the breakfast room might be amazing, but the farther downstairs you go, the more you feel like you're in a prison. When you leave the hotel I would suggest locking all of your belongings in your suitcase if you don't want anything stolen. They also treat Americans like complete crap. I would recommend staying at any other hotel in Sorrento.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kimberlyn C

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Extremely rude staff, especially the older gentlemen that work the front desk during the evening. A few things were stolen from my friends' suitcases and when I asked why the Wi-fi was not working they just laughed at me. I DO NOT recommend this hotel to anyone.
The rooms are more or less clean but the whole building is worse than university dorms from the 1960s. A claustrophobic girl was left in the elevator and laughed at for a few minutes before the staff member decided to open the door.

DO NOT STAY IN THIS HOTEL!!!

Room Tip: No good rooms!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank ABruno2014
Reviewed 19 July 2013

We use this hotel every year for a school trip, the staff are wonderful and have endless patience with the kids. The position is fantastic 15 mins walk to town and there is a spectacular view of Vesuvius. The food is good and the portions very generous.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Juliam3760
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Everything is average, not so impressive and not so bad.

About the room:
The room is clean. Not so big and the light is a bit dim. There are only 3 electric sockets in the room, in which only one of them is working. I am only doing a short stay, solo, so it is not a big problem for me, but if you intended to stay long, you might want to think about it. One of the lamp in the room is not working.

Location:
It is somewhere on the hill. Around 15 minutes to the town, depends on how fast you walk. Somehow the way to the town is a bit dangerous. Some part of the way does not have a pedestrian pathway, which means cars are moving along your side.

Services:
The breakfast is simple. Bread and coffee. May be I am lucky, I did not see bad staff as reviewed by others. All of them are nice and tried to help me.

Overall, the room needs some repair. The plugs and the lamp are the main problems. These shouldn't be so hard to fix. Hope to see further improvements.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 June 2013

We visited this property as part of our EF tour group, luckily it was for only 1 night. The property is very outdated and run down. Smells old and musty. Rooms were actually fairly clean which was a bit of a pleasant surprise. Bed were HORRIBLE. Most were a thin mattress sitting on boards across a bed frame. Dining room was nice and has a nice view of the water. The staff was friendly and helpful. Pool was empty and I wouldn't recommend swimming in it even if it was full. As part of a tour group with kids it was doable but I would never stay at this property on my own.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 October 2011

We booked this hotel last minute as it was available and cheap, thinking at least we had a base and were prepared to accept basic as long as it was clean. In over 15 years of working in the travel industry I have never experienced or even heard of a hotel so bad.

Let me start with the positives firstly though. The hotel is in a good location, its just on the hill leading out of Sorrento, if you know the area its just past the hotel Bristol. It takes approx 10 mins tops to walk into town and its right on the local bus route. The staff are also mostly very friendly.

Apart from that I have no positive things to say unfortunatley. The hotel has not seen any modernisation since at least the 1980`s, and I second the previously ladys review when she says the owner replies to every review on here saying "all problems have been solved", as they have not. The owner doesnt even speak English, neither do most of the staff. The hotel is in a bad state of repair. Phonelines not connected in rooms or even phones in reception. We had to change rooms and in both rooms there were three plug points. Only the bathroom ones worked. Our first room had a broken window shutter so we had no light in the room, a broken door handle and the shower leaked and flooded the whole room not just the bathroom. When we asked reception to change rooms they said not possible as hotel was full. They would get problems repaired. They were never repaired, after throwing my toys out of the pram for a second time we were given a room change. Hotel layout means reception is on top floor and then rooms go down to four floors underneath. Most rooms over look a wall and only rooms on 1st and 2nd floors have balconies, as such. Every room has a double bed or two singles AND bunkbeds! All the floors are tiled so expect lots of noise as everything echo`s. House next door to hotel has a dog that barks all hours of the day and night and a cockrel that starts at 4.30am every morning.
In our second room we had no shower curtain so floor got soaked everytime we showered, and we had the strangest view from out room. ( I have added photos of this). Rooms were cleaned everyday, when I say cleaned they made the bed and changed towels and sprayed air freshner around.
The hotel was full of American students on a trip around Italy. They left after three days then a touring party of Italian pensioners arrived. Then on our last night another group of American students arrived at 2am. This is all the hotel is concerned about. Any other bookings are an inconvenience. The dining room has the potential to be amazing with its view overlooking the bay of Naples but the service and food is a total let down. We were not expecting much, but I think hot food is a basic necessity. The menu was a set menu and more or less the same everyday. Veg soup, tomato pasta, chicken with salad and a piece of fruit. Everynight it was cold or luke warm. If you didnt like any of that there was no alternative. We ate out after the second night for the rest of the week and were given the third degree by the head waiter as to where we ate and why! Staff in the dining room were comical, it was seriously like faulty towers, head waiter was lazy and seemed to bully rest of staff. Breakfast consisted of a bread roll and croissant every morning, nothing else. Luke warm coffee, depending on which member of staff you asked you might get a hot coffee or a tea if lucky. Highlight of the week was when the head waiter and the Chef had a massive screaming match in the middle of the dining room in front of everyone.

The hotel has a pool area which with a bit of effort could be lovely. There are no sunbeds only plastic chairs and the pool was not cleaned at all the whole week we were there. It looked as if it hadnt been cleaned for a long while. Nobody used it at all.

To sum it all up do not be tempted by any amazing half board offers on internet sites. This hotel is for groups of students and touring partys who use it as somewhere to shower and sleep. Its noisy, in a bad state of repair the food is awful and I know for a fact no British tour operator would even consider using it. If I had been on a school trip it would have been acceptable but I really wish I had booked the local hostel as that looked like a 5 star resort compared to The Cavour. Sorrento is a beautiful place if you have never visited before dont stay at this hotel. During my stay I chatted to some locals who thought we were insane for staying there. Says it all really. In todays day and age there is absolutley no excuse for any hotel to operate in this manner.

Room Tip: Request a room on either the 1st or 2nd floor and with a balcony, this should cut out some of the no...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank chewy110
Reviewed 11 September 2011

Even animals live in better conditions !! And Hotel Cavour, please don´t answer to this comment with a comment "all problems have been solved", cause there has been no changes.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple