“Great place to stay”
Review of Villaggio Verde

Villaggio Verde
Ranked #70 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We stayed in the 7-room "hotel" part of this unusual compound as there were 5 of us (parents & 3 x 20-somethings) booked through Thomson (who could not have been less help) on B&B basis in June 2014.
The rooms are spacious and comfortable, with good bathrooms & air-con and breakfast was a buffet that would have satisfied even a really fussy eater. The swimming pool is clean and full of unexpected jets of water that make it great fun. It was a welcome sight after a trip out and we wasted no time getting in. The pool bar does delicious pizza, cold beer and rather good coffee.
The staff are all friendly and helpful, especially Antonieta who not only recommended wonderful restaurants, but also fantastic day trips.
The walk down into Sorrento is easier than the walk back uphill, but it helps walk off the amazing local food if you dine in town.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank 453Val
There are newer reviews for Villaggio Verde

Reviewed 29 June 2014

We stayed in mid-June in Bungalow 112, just past the restaurant/bar and pool area, for four nights. The bungalows are grouped in clusters of 4 and our neighbors were quiet. The main noise was the rooster with a crowing impediment. He sounded strange. It was a 15-20 minute walk up from the train station. There are two ways and we preferred the northern route that had us walking on the side of the road mostly. But it was less confusing. We passed a supermarket where we turned to go up and could buy bread, cheese, fruit, yogurt, etc. (when it was open). We never figured out the hours! Our cabin had two sets of twin beds, a small, but adequate, bathroom with shower, kitchen, and entry, with a picnic table on the porch for eating at. There were three window openings (each set with one pair opening out, a pull down screen, and a pair of windows opening in. It provided good cross ventilation and we did not need the A/C for 5 Euros per night. We chose to buy our breakfast fixings at the grocery rather than going to their restaurant for their 5 Euro breakfast. The kitchen had dishes, cups, glasses, flatware, pots and pans, and an electric kettle. Given that we chose not to stay downtown, this was a good “up the mountain” option that was within walking distance of the train station. We were not tethered to a city bus schedule to get to our accommodations. I emailed with Antoinetta who communicates well in English. The rest of the staff was not so accomplished in English. But they were helpful and friendly and tried to work with our limited Italian. The office hours were spotty, but we managed to check out the night before and make our 8:26 am bus. Also, there was a bar and the attendant also dealt with our laundry (washing machine was 5 euros. We chose to hang our stuff on the line on the porch rather than spend 5 euros for the dryer. Our clothes were dry by the time we returned from dinner. We also took three of our dinners at Da Filippe Restaurant, just a 5 minute walk up the mountain from Villaggio Verde. We would stay again.

Room Tip: All the bungalows are probably equal. ??
1  Thank Roadrunner5527
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Much more comfortable than a restrictive hotel.. It took a day or two for it to register what a little gem this place is.
On first impressions I wondered if it was a bit like a camp site - the little cottages etc. once I understood the space, proximity to town, the peace and quiet I truly got it.

We stayed in a room rather than the cottages so I can't comment on those. Our room was clean!
The investment where they have made it has been done well and with good taste. The bathrooms are modern and immaculate, plenty of storage in the bedrooms, the pool furniture is wood not plastic, decent towels...the detail is good
. It's 3* so there is a cracked plant pot here and there,perhaps a crooked sign, it's not sound proof , a coffee machine...BUT there is free wifi ( pool and reception) fresh pastries at breakfast ( plus loads of other options) an espresso machine at the pool bar, jasmine and lemon trees, a sweet docile dog, a warm reception and a big smile from the matriarch keeping a wise eye on her worker bees. With love .

It's a 10-15 min walk downhill into town. On return Only the last few steps are uphill so if you can handle two flights of stairs this is not a big deal at all. Then you are right in the centre as opposed to a way out in either direction. There is a great restaurant uphill if you prefer to stay local from time to time, and a few further up if you have transport - amazing views !

Reception was beyond helpful whereas Thompson ( our agents ) we didn't hear a peep from but that was fine too. The transfer was PAINFUL and I would next time make our own way via train into Sorrento rather than waste hours on a coach but that's not ideal for most and not a deal breaker.

The pool was big enough although we were there at adults only time by chance I suppose. I would say it's family friendly but not family heaven. Babies ok but older than that they may need more stimulation. I guess Sorrento is a more sophisticated type of holiday full stop.

Tips - perhaps buy in juice for your fridge if you don't like the sweet stuff. Get your coffee hit at the pool or a cafe in town, wear flat shoes, pack a hair dryer and beach towel or bring one from the room as the pool ones are more of a sheet type thing.

* saying that - we stayed in a 5* which also had the same hair dryer, coffee machine and juice so .....?

We shall return and I look forward to it already.

4  Thank lfalandysz
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Came to Sorrento to celebrate a friends wedding and stayed at this superb family run hotel. The bungalows are lovely and clean with basic cooking facilities. The bungalows are also very cool for the evening ideal for a restful nights sleep. The pool area is so pleasant with a lovely pool bar offering lunch from 11am to 2pm with a very varied menu which great value for money. The main square is a 20 minute walk away which I would not recommend for the elderly as it is up hill coming back. We travelled with a 6 month bold baby whom we did get Taxis back from the main square in the evening. Would love to stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Jayne I
Reviewed 7 June 2014

If you want posh formality then Villiaggio Verde is not for you. It is a family run business with a relaxing vibe. Everyone who works there are without exception friendly and helpful. It is higher up from Sorrento which gives it the advantage of being very quiet and peaceful. It is only a 10-15 minute walk into the town centre of Sorrento but the disadvantage for some would be the climb back - a hill it is but cardiac hill as described by others is a gross exaggeration and I suggest that some people need to look at their fitness levels. I am not a fitness freak and I found it fine as long as I didn't do it just after eating a big meal (then my husband had to give me a push!)

The hotel is surrounded by beautiful foliage and orange and lemon trees. This does lead to mozzies but the staff spray the area every week and you need to take protection. We stayed in the hotel part but there are wooden self-catering cabins as well. The hotel rooms are very Italian in their style nd kept very clean - cozy which I liked and we only used them for sleeping. There is a TV with Sky, kettle and fridge. There is also a safe. I would suggest you take your own hairdryer as i found the one supplied is like the ones you use to get at the swimming baths with not much power. There is a bath with shower over and the water pressure is low from being high up but that didn't bother us.

Yes the pool does have rules but again all reasonable. My only complaint would be having to pay for the sun loungers at 5 euros a day. I think as we travelled by Thomsons they should pay a flat rate for their guests. The pool as well was too cold for me. There is a bar from 10am to 6pm serving nice snacks and lunches from 12 - 2pm.

Breakfast is 7 - 10am and is very Italian with mainly sweet cakes and croissants which isn't to my taste. I had toast and fruit with yogurts. There is ham and cheese plus 2 types of cereal. It is all self service including the hot drinks.

We visited via Thomsons who were non existent and as much use as a chocolate teapot (too interested in selling excursions than to bother themselves about their guests at Villiaggio Verde). Don't be put off on doing the excursions yourself.
We went to Pompei via the local train (yes the trains are old but it gets you there). This took 30 minutes costing us 3,50 euros each on weekend. Entrance to Pompei is 11 Euros. Guide book cost us 5 euros. Thomsons wanted to charge £40 (which didn't include the entrance fee).
Also we travelled to Rome booking the train from Naples/Rome return before we left UK via Italiarail.com so getting them cheaper. The cost being 120 euros for 2 people. Fantastic service in Business class on the fast train. The rep do a bit of scaremongering about travelling to Naples - yes you should be aware of pickpockets but that is the same in any big city. Just be sensible and vigilant. We felt perfectly safe both at Naples station and in Rome. Don't be swayed by the reps trying to scare you from using the trains they just want you to spend 110 euros each on their trip to Rome!!!

The receptionists at Villagio Verde were wonderful and can sort trips fpr you. One sorted out an evening out at the Theatre with a meal. We had asked Thomsons to do this, the only trip we did book with them and we heard nothing. The only contact with the rep is 24/7 "hotline" to UK. It felt like as a small hotel we weren't as important as their 4 and 5 star guests.

All in all loved Villagio Verde and will visit again. We don't usually do package holidays and Thomsons has shown us why. Next time we visit Villagio Verde will be under our own steam.

5  Thank 827Janty
Reviewed 31 December 2013

I very much liked this hotel. It was far enough away from the busy centre of Sorrento to be relaxing but near enough to walk there easily in 10/15 minutes. The hill is steep but short and any normal person can manage it easily! We had a bungalow - furthest one from the entrance and it was great. I went with my 2 children - 17 and 19 - and chose this place for the 'two' bedrooms. There were 2 rooms, one with a double bed and TV, the other with 2 single beds. This was ok but there was not really a living room and place to sit and eat indoors - and the TV in a bedroom caused a few arguments! However mostly we ate outside so no real problem. Beware ants! We arrived late at night and I couldn't find a bin inside or outside to put our leftover airport food so left it wrapped on veranda to avoid smells. Next day the ants had to be seen to be believed! Never really got rid of them! We were plagued by mosquitos yet never really saw them or felt them bite. But we were bitten to pieces, my daughter in particular. Take stuff with you as medicines were so expensive to buy there. My daughter still has the scars of bites. Despite this the place is charming, authentic, different and very good value for money. Go up the hill from the entrance and turn right and try Fillipos restaurant - very local and the best place we ate at - grilled meat delicious! Happy memories!

Room Tip: The bungalows furthest from the entrance offer the most privacy.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Lucy B
Reviewed 27 December 2013

We spent a week here in June 2013 and it was perfect. It is at the top of the hill so a bit of a hike from the centre of Sorrento but worth it. Excellent value for money and we found a fantastic restaurant walking up the hill from the hotel instead of down (down on the way home). We had self catering accommodation and although the bathroom was a bit small (particularly the shower) we couldn't fault it. The location is fantastic, set in a grove of orange trees and grape vines. We didn't use the pool but it looked lovely. It's an excellent location and I would higly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple