We stayed here in July, 2010 for 5 nights. Here are the highlights:
Location: The location is absolutely EXCELLENT!! We stayed in Sorrento as our base and went on day trips to Capri, Almalfi, Positano, Ravello, and Pompeii. It is a short walk to the train station ( the Circumvesuviana) and is centrally located in the heart of the Sorrento night life and cafes/restaurants. This hotel is a little hard to find at first because it is off of an alley-way by the main square. But, it's still easy enough to find even if you just ask a friendly Sorrentine they can point you in the right direction.
Rooms: They were beautifully appointed with Murano glass Chandeliers. The bathroom was stunning marble and very clean. The hotel was well-maintained with all common areas very clean and the rooms were clean as well. The only drawback for some may be that it is in a central location with lots of restaurants nearby, so you may hear some noise at night while sleeping. It didn't bother us as we were more concerned with the location and preferred to be in the center of all the action! The hotel has a cute rooftop patio just for guests with a great view of Mt Vesuvius, but unfortunately we didn't have time for a drink up there.
Service: The breakfast was good, but there was some repetition of the quiches/pies and that could have been fresher, but it was still very good by European standards. The hotel accommodated some of our requests, but you have to speak with the owner as it doesn't seem like the front desk staff have a lot of say for special requests. The front desk staff spoke excellent English and were very helpful.
Tips: We took a bus direct to/from Rome - it was harder to get than taking the Circumvesuviana through Naples, but then we got to avoid the Naples train station which we heard terrible things about (i.e., pickpocketers, etc.) Ask the front desk staff to photocopy the timetables of the ferries/buses/trains etc. to Pompeii, Almalfi, Positano, Capri and Ravello. It will help you in planning how to get around with public transit. I would strongly recommend taking a ferry one way to Almafi and a bus the other way. That way you get to experience both views and the crazy bus rides - hold onto your seats! Capri is basically a little life of the rich and famous - it's pretty, but I preferred Sorrento. The view from Sorrento is breathtaking! It's an extremely romantic place! Also, it's called Almafi coast, but Sorrento is the biggest town - NOT Almafi! You can do Almafi, Ravello and Positano all in day. You could really just do Almafi since Positano is just a smaller and less prettier version of Almafi. When you take the bus to Positano from Sorrento, there is a smaller bus that will take you down to the main part of the town by the water, it costs about a 1EU and you have to wait a few minutes for it, but the coffee shop at the top has a timetable and there will be other people waiting there as well. Ravello is hard to get to, but the view from up there is stunning nonetheless - EVERYTHING is stunning here! If you have to miss it don't worry because it's just a view - nothing to see in the town - but you do feel like a bit of an eagle up there. Again a very scary bus ride up there, but the scariest ride was to Anacapri from Capri Town - crazy! Lastly, but not least, you have to go see Pompeii!! The most amazing ruins ever - way better than the forum in Rome!! It's so easy to get to on the Circumvesuviana (the stops are labeled - get off at Pompeii) and takes about 30-40 minutes and is about 3 or 4 EU pp. Anyway, if you go to the Almafi coast you will not regret it and you will never forget it!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Palazzo Guardati, well-known 4 stars hotel, is located in the historical center of the vivacious Sorrento town, among the more suggestive places of Naples Gulf.Located not far from the sea and absorbed in the characteristic historical center,full of small shops and workshops of the typical Sorrento craftsmanship, it gives to its guests the possibility to live fully the magic Sorrento atmosphere. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, LoveHolidays, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Hotel Palazzo Guardati reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Palazzo Guardati Sorrento
- Palazzo Guardati Hotel Sorrento