If you want to be close to everything in Sorrento this is the place to be. The hotel is just a few steps from the main piazza and about a 10 min. walk from the train station. It is a little hard to find since it is on one of the older, narrower streets, but we just called the front desk a couple of times until we found it. Being so close to the action you would think that there would be a lot of noise...not so, the room was very quiet and we had no trouble sleeping. We had a nice balcony with a view of the ocean and the Piazza. Only downside is that we shared the balcony with the hotel signage - the teenagers thougth this was funny! We arrived hot and tired to find out that they have a very small pool on the top floor with a beautiful deck and a great view. Antonio the bar man was very helpful with getting us setup with drinks and information about the area. We were able to cool off and relax after taking the train from Florence to Naples and the local train (the circumvensia) to Sorrento. I highly recommend that you look up the times for the direct route from Naples to Sorrento on this train. It still stops at major stops, but bypasses all the little stops and cuts down on the time by about 15-30 min.
The cappuccinos are great, but the rest of the breakfast was not on par with the breakfasts at the other hotels we had stayed at - Vittorio our waiter was wonderful though. He was very attentive, always singing or saying mangie, eat!
Everyone at the front desk was very nice and accommodating. The only negative is that you have to pay for internet access (3 euro and hour or 15 Euros for 3 days - there are other choices but those are the ones that I remember). I chose the 3 day option but could only use the internet for one session. They said it was my laptop, but I used my computer at every other hotel with no problems. At check out I had to pay 5 Euro for my one session.
We did day trips to Pompeii and Capri. There is a parking lot about 5 min away where a lot of the bus tours leave from for Pompeii and other destinations. The Capri tour left from the Marina which is about a 10 min. walk. You do have to walk down quite a few stairs (130) and is not fun on the way back. I think you can take a bus, but we needed the exercise so we didn't check into it.
The best part of Sorrento is that everything is open late and they close off the main street to cars in the evening. There are tourists and locals alike walking all over. There is lots of shopping and if you like lemons this is the place to be. Limoncello, lemon drops, and lemon soap – you name it. The shops range from high end to very touristy carts. Lots of restaurants and a gelato shop that claims they make pastries for the Pope! They are open until 2 a.m.
On our last day we asked for a recommendation for a beach and ended up at “Peter’s Beach” where you have to rent a chair on the pier. (12 Euros each– 5 Euros additional for an umbrella) This seemed to be where the local families hang out which was kind of fun. We had the most amazing mussels at the little restaurant off the pier (not much of a beach to speak of).
Sorrento was one of our favorite parts of our trip.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Palazzo Guardati, well-known 4 stars hotel, is located in the historical center of the vivacious Sorrento town, among the more suggestive places of Naples Gulf.Located not far from the sea and absorbed in the characteristic historical center,full of small shops and workshops of the typical Sorrento craftsmanship, it gives to its guests the possibility to live fully the magic Sorrento atmosphere. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, LoveHolidays, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Hotel Palazzo Guardati reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Palazzo Guardati Sorrento
- Palazzo Guardati Hotel Sorrento