“A real gem. Fine food. Great ambience”
Review of L'Antica Trattoria

L'Antica Trattoria
Ranked #23 of 300 Restaurants in Sorrento
Price range: US$24 - US$90
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Just a few little steps, and the visitor finds himself in a peaceful haven of plants and flowers, under the protection of the vine covered pergola which comprises the terrace. With just a few steps more one finds the elegant and refined reception room, where one can bathe in the warm and welcoming atmosphere, and enjoy its peaceful intimacy. In the heart of the ancient centre, it is a “dream” corner, a blissful oasis, where one can lose sense of time and place, a magical little kingdom, where the happy visitor can imagine, or re-live his dreams and fantasies. Here, one is surrounded by familiar things from a long ago country community, which embraces one within its warmth. Its subtle lighting which casts gentle illumination on original and lovingly collected decor, all of which conspire to give an atmosphere of peaceful elegance in which to re-discover honest and traditional flavours, folded into delicious and secret recipes. All brought to your table by an exceptionally capable an
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Had a leisurely lunch at L'Antica on a friend's recommendation and could not have been happier.

I suspect a lot of the disappointed reviewers here may have taken L'Antica to be another of Sorrento's myriad cheap-and-cheerful pizza-and-pasta spots (i.e. like it's neighbour!), but it is not, this is a quality restaurant.
Provolone ravioli with shrimps and clams and the most incredibly rich seafood reduction was cooking of the highest quality and very memorable. Other dishes and accompaniments were of a similar standard. Excellent wine list. Friendly service.
Definitely hope to return here.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,897)

Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Tried to get into the restaurant earlier in the week, but only had room inside so we declined.
We returned later in the week with the same answer , so we decided to stay and were treated to a very special meal .
Everything was first class.
A little more expensive than most , but well worth the money.
Best to book if you want to sit outside .

Reviewed 6 June 2014

By the time we ate lunch in this wonderful restaurant we had already spent time in Venice and Florence. I can say that, hands down, this was the best meal we ate on our entire trip. From the delicious prosecco to the amazing squash blossoms and dessert we had an excellent experience. Salvatore is a one of a kind - friendly, fun and a showman who delighted us with stories and special gestures. You will not be disappointed by the great atmosphere and excellent food. I would recommend to anyone visiting Sorrento that this is a do not miss restaurant!

Reviewed 5 June 2014

I've just read some recent negative reviews on this restaurant, which has compelled me to write my own as I cannot share the comments based on our experiences. This was without doubt our most favourite place to eat in Sorrento. It is charming and full of attentive and friendly waiters ensuring a prompt service.

Although we visited on 3 occasions, each time was a completely different dining experience, all excellent. Our first visit was for sunday lunch, and we choose to eat outside and had the lunch menu (up to 18.30) which is half the price of the main menu, but all dishes are selected from the a la carte, so no dumbing down of the food quality. For those who like to take a leisurely meal, beware as the service could be considered 'fast', you were not waiting between courses.

After lunch we were chatting and were asked if we would like to take a tour of the restaurant, and I'm so glad we did! There are essentially 3 different styles in the one restaurant. The usual open air by the street (a nice quiet street though). The open interior, covered with beautiful flowers and vines, and then the most amazing authentic interior, with nooks and crannies for quiet and romance. The décor is authentic Sorrento, with many old household antiques from the family (been in the same hands for over 84 years now) ... they are very pleased if you ask to take a look before you even decide to eat there.

You can see the chefs working in the kitchen too.

I have some reviews saying the food is pricey, well I would say it represents value for the quality and innovative menu and presentation. For me it was the best menu I saw in any restaurant in Sorrento. The menu is very flexible in how you can price your meal, for example you can chose starter, pasta dish (there is none pasta also available), main and dessert for a total of 60 euro with no restriction in choice (for example the beef fillet alone is 35 euro). This represents great value for money. The wine is no more expensive than anywhere else, and you can have a perfectly acceptable bottle at 20 euro. If like me, you are a bit of a wine lover, then let me recommend an amazing white wine (number 28 on the menu) Manna 2012 produced by Franz Haas, made in Italy at 35 euro a bottle an absolute delight with sea food and creamy lemon pasta and prawns.

I would recommend your first visit is at lunchtime and enjoy the 3 course special menu at only 20 euro. If you enjoy that, take a tour and you'll be back again!

All the waiters are knowledgeable and extremely professional, but I must single out Salvatore (Salvo) for special attention, and yes with that silver hair, he does look like an Italian film star!
He really looked after us, and on our last night set up a beautiful private table for us with fine wine glasses and flowers scattered on the table. We had 2 complimentary hors d'oeuvres, amazing fresh breads and the best olive oil I've ever tasted and home made potato crisps (chips). we finished our meal with a complimentary lemoncello. Also throughout the evening there was a live strolling mandolin player who serenaded my wife with 'o sole mio'

During our weeks stay in Sorrento we ate at Michelin starred restaurants, and this was still our best dining experience in a week at Sorrento.

Treat yourself to a visit and I'm sure you will come back for a second

2  Thank Rod T
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

We were looking forward to visiting L'Antica Trattoria following a TA recommendation and a friends recommendation.

Immediately on arrival and before receiving menus we were asked did we wish to have a glass of prosecco which we politely accepted. We assumed that this was complimentary as is common in other restaurants in area. However we were charged 12 euro for this. Advice to others politely decline the prosecco offer as it leaves a sting in tail.

Meal including the prosecco and cheapest bottle of local wine was 140 euro including shared starter, two mains and shared dessert. Food is tasty, service attentive but better value to be hard else where. Best avoided.

2  Thank Tortoisefriend
Aldo_AT, Proprietario at L'Antica Trattoria, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

Dear Madame / Sir ,

I would like to say thank you for your visit first ,

I'am so sorry that with our english we didn't let you understund that the prosecco wasn't offered .

When we want to offer something , we always say ( from the house ) , and i think that is normal to

ask if you wish something to drink or not , and doesn' t means that is offered .

Best Regards and thank you