“GET OFF THE BEATEN TRACK - TRY REAL FOOD”
Review of L'Antica Trattoria

L'Antica Trattoria
Ranked #12 of 286 Restaurants in Sorrento
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Lancashire
“GET OFF THE BEATEN TRACK - TRY REAL FOOD”
Reviewed 10 May 2010

I first came here half a lifetime ago with my mother. Now we have just returned home to England - cherishing the memory of our first visit in 17 years. Health problems mean it could be our last visit there together. It was a pilgrimage, of sorts, and a restorative too. Sorrento has a magic but it is the people you remember and the genteel Signor Aldo tops that list for me - along with the happiest man in Sorrento, the mandolin player. The food here is superb, worth every penny, a far cry from the mainstream fare you will eat in the Piazza Tasso, but it is the ambience, the warmth of the reception, the attention to detail, and the feeling you are an honoured guest, whether casually or elegantly dressed, wealthy or simply self indulgent, which simply makes this place the best. No other restaurant ticks all the boxes quite so effectively - and affectionately. As a journalist I have had press facility trips to some wonderful hotels in many beautiful places at home and abroad, and, as a former Food Guide inspector, I've assessed many restaurants. I still review them for my local newspaper. But Antica Trattoria is the one restaurant, in the one place in the world, to which I would return tomorrow, if I could. Return to Sorrento? I hope we will. The beauty of the mandolin playing brought tears to the eyes of a young woman there, with her mother, as it had to mine, years ago, on our very first visit. I hope she returns. I hope she does not leave it as long as I did to take her mother back there too. For it is here she will see her mother as she is, and as she was, and realise the two are not so very far apart, for all the years between. To all of at Antica Trattoria, Jacqueline and her momma Rosa send their love. And their most heartfelt thanks for lifting our spirits when we most needed it. To the rest of you - just go there and discover the experience for yourself. And keep going back...

1 Thank Janarchy

• Turkish first
california
“Charming elegance”
Reviewed 6 May 2010

I have had the pleasure of dining at L'Antica Trattoria twice.Once in April 2009 and just recently in April 2010.I have found it to be great for romance,as well as dining with friends.The atmosphere on the patio is charming and the interior is warm and intimate.Our waiter "Tony" was informed by my friends that it was my birthday and he went way out of his way to make me feel special,as well as providing with excellent,friendly service.And of course last but definitley not the least ,The food was prepared wonderfully and was delicious.

Pacific Palisades, CA
“A gastronomic festival!"”
Reviewed 6 May 2010

My wife and I are from Los Angeles, travel quite a bit, and get to sample many different restaurants. This place is one of our top choices...great cuisine, wonderful flavors, a beautiful garden patio or cozy interior rooms offer a warm and romantic setting. Tony was a great host/waiter -- try the Red Prawns, Squash Blossoms stuffed with ricotta, or better yet, trust Tony and tell him what you like...he'll take care of you with his great knowledge and unique sense of humor.

Wiesbaden, Germany
“Entire experience delightful!”
Reviewed 24 April 2010

I was in Sorrento for a week + 3 days (due to volcano) for spring break. We ate in many restaurants in that city. This was the best! Tony & Salvo were so much fun! Food was fantastic! One of the most beautiful restaurants I've ever seen. Mandolin player was nice touch. Really enjoyed our evening there. Highly recommend.

Provence
“The food is exquisite, prepared with sun ripened local Mediterranean products, and the freshest of fish...the service”
Reviewed 12 April 2010

Signor Aldo is a perfect gentleman who gives his clients a warm welcome in a superb setting . The garden is colourful and intimate and the various beautiful dining rooms cater for every occasion.

The food is exquisite, prepared with sun ripened local Mediterranean products, and the freshest of fish...the service is faultless.

It was the most enjoyable experience ,not to be forgotten ...and especially to be recommended to other potential visitors to Sorrento .

Thankyou Signor Aldo for a memorable meal in your beautiful restaurant."