“Good food, Owner-run with Warmth”

Ristorante Al Grottino
Ranked #8 of 121 Restaurants in Capri
Price range: US$0 - US$45
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Since 1937, typical Capri restaurant.
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Very nice veal scaloppine Marsala, cooked perfectly tender and richly-flavored, which I paired with a house red from the Naples area that was not only good but well-priced at 5 euro. With a contorno (vegetables, for which you pay extra), cheese platter for dessert, and two glasses of wine, my bill came to 42 euro, which I thought was okay considering the generally high prices in Capri.

Possibly since the restaurant was slack, the owner-manager took the time to chat with me, describing how his father had started the restaurant way back in 1937 (first as a small counter, attaining its present shape by the 1950s).

Many of the patrons seemed to be tourists who were coming back for the second time, which is surely some confirmation that this establishment, unlike most others in Capri, values good food and satisfied customers over making a fast buck. Indeed, after I had had two glasses of wine, I was offered a third one on the house - not many places in this town will do that.

To find Il Grottino, stand in the central piazzeta (beside the funicular) and look for the narrowest lane (about 2 meters or 6 feet wide) running out of it, on a slight upslope (all the other lanes are downslope). You will get to the restaurant within 2-3 minutes, on your left. It has no view, but something much better - pride in cooking.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

We chanced upon this small restaurant after turning down the over crowded touristy restaurant we had been directed to by the hotel. It turns out we were very lucky!
We ate a delicious pasta al vongole and a seafood salad for starters. Had some wine by the glass which was a bit too expensive (that's the only downside to it).
But the best part was the staff: owner and waiters alike were specially kind and warm. They even gave us a little image of the Madonna and complimentary lemoncello when they found out we were on our honeymoon.
For a few more euros than what you would pay in other places you get top food, good and quiet atmosphere and great service.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

spagetti in a pot with sea food is a delight. it costs 55 euro for two people. service is perfect and the owner is very friendly.

Reviewed 18 October 2013

Highly recommended. We started with the antipasto. Well-selected meats, cheeses and olives that were an excellent start to our meal. I had the scialatielli with shrimp and zuccini flowers paired with the house white wine, a Falanghina. The pasta was one of the best dishes I have ever eaten and the wine was excellent. My wife had the pasta with clams which was light, well-seasoned and full of flavor. I hate giving this such a good review because I don't want this restaurant to become a tourist trap, but I really wanted to give them credit.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

Nice cantina with easy options to pick. The deco and location is very good and close to the Piazzeta Umberto...and much better than many more famous options around. Service could be warmer...