“Dated hotel, but great views”
Review of Palatium Hotel

Palatium Hotel
Palatium Hotel
Ranked #39 of 41 Hotels in Capri
East Lansing, Michigan
“Dated hotel, but great views”
Reviewed 27 July 2005

This was the last stop on our Italian honeymoon. Capri was fantastic, but not necessarily this hotel. Our room was OK - loft style room with large balcony overlooking the Bay of Naples. We spent more time here than at the pool. The place was VERY DATED and in need of severe upgrading. The bathroom was from the 1960's - in my dreams. It was much, much older than that. We found the food and the service very, very good. We had a couple of lunches and one dinner at the restaurant, as well as the complimentary breakfast. We generally dined alone. The dinner was fantastic and, as the only people at the restaurant, the staff gave us all their attention.

We found, while the views and the balcony was fantastic, the location was quite inconvenient. If were were to go to Capri again, we would stay near, if not at, the hotel Quistitano (spelling??)

• Stayed August 2004
2 Thank ELDerby

Reviewed 2 January 2005

Five nights in an executive junior deluxe suite with a “not-so-bad” harbor
view at the PALATIUM hotel was the best of our vacation in Italy.
As soon as we arrived we started to feel depressed. The room we were given
was unbearably small. The swimming pool was filled with salty water, and
the space around the pool was crammed with sun loungers. Forget about privacy!
The worst thing was breakfast time. The buffet was completely unprotected
from hundreds of flies; it took more than 20 minutes to have a coffee.
Breakfast and room service are not worthy of a 1 star hotel!
The staff was rude. Every time we complained they didn’t care about it.
They never apologized to us.
The restaurant staff needs complete retraining, the Hotel needs complete
refurbishment.
May be the hotel was on the crest of a wave during the Sixties, but now
the owner ‘d better touch it up!
They tried to cheat me and I fell for it! But you? .If you have ever considered
to go there - PLEASE don't do it!!! Don’t waste of money, unless you want
to have a very disappointing experience.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travellers are raving about these Capri hotels

London / Hamburg
Reviewed 23 November 2004

I've read the reviews for most Capri Hotels here and felt impelled to write something also.
First of all: Hotel Palatium:
I've spent so much time on Capri that they actually refer to me as an "Caprese addotivo", an adopted Child of Capri and for many years, I chose to stay at the Palatium, in the spring and summer, for roughly 3 weeks. It was always the best bet, because it has everything I needed, a beautiful suite with a sun terrace overlooking the Bay, a fabulous restaurant (La Scogliera), the nicest staff (they helped me in so many ways without ever once giving me the feeling that they were after my money), a saltwater pool, music at night in the most romantic setting...and the director became one of my best friends. By the way, he now has his own restaurant just behind the Piazetta, called "La Pergola" which is absolutely delightful and offers very tasty, fresh local dishes. His name is Giancarlo Cattaldo and if you go there, tell him I gave you the hint, it'll help and he more than deserves the custom and is a wonderful, witty, intelligent and warm-hearted man, speaking excellent english and german apart from his native italian.
Back to the Palatium. This hotel is in the harbour, but NO day tourists ever come here, thankfully. I used to have breakfast, then read the newspaper, lay by the pool, have lunch and only take the hotel car, taxi or funiculare to Capri Town AFTER 5 in the afternoon, when the last tourists leave the island. Then you see the true Capri. No Hamburgers, no Camping, no clicking cameras...well, the only cameras clicking then are those owned by the local photographers who take some good shots of you in Capri that you can buy later...or not. Inexpensive but great souvenirs. At night, go to Aneme e core next to La Palma, fun on a ridiculous scale!
Never go into Capri Town before 5!!!! It's better to take a trip to Pompeji or similar during the day, if you don't want to stay in the Hotel.
Most other Hotels in Capri are noisy and bustling day and night, except possibly La Luna and Tragara, because they are off the beaten track. In Anacapri, it's the Palace of course, but San Michele has got better over the years.
I read that many visitors complain, because they find the Capresians to be after their money. I NEVER had this feeling. I think it's a case of how you treat them. I noticed quite often how rude some guests were to the staff, treating them as if they were slaves in some colonial outback...treat them as equals - as I always did and do - and you can make wonderful friends for life....as I have!
Capri can be expensive....but hey, do you know why? Because it thusly retains its charm and an exclusiveness we are all looking for. If it were cheaper, then it would quickly become just another mediterranean resort....with McDonalds & Co, and no longer have this air of being "out of this world".
Capri is beautiful, steeped in history and is the closest thing to heaven on earth I know..... it's all a question of attitude. Go there and enjoy it, I wish I were there with you!
Colin Solman

• Stayed July 2004, travelled on business
9 Thank CapreseAddotivo
Reviewed 14 October 2004

We stayed at the Palatium with 4 adults and 2 kids in 2 rooms in October 2004.

From the moment we arrived, we were absolutely stunned. The hotel is the only one built on the ocean side of the road from Marina Grande to Capri, so you are directly on the rock overlooking the Capri coast with a gorgeous 180 degrees view of Naples Bay and no road or building in front to spoil it.

There is a private stairway of about 80 steps directly from the hotel to a small public beach, which unfortunately is full of rocks...but hey, you're on Capri, not in Honolulu. The Palatium advertises that it is actually the only hotel on the island that extends down to the sea...

The hotel consists of two 3-story buildings that both look like private villas, mediterranean style. Try to get a room in the first one (where the reception is), as the second is built just slightly further away from the water.

According to the emergency-exit map, about 80% of the rooms have ocean view and either small balconies or a large terrace. All the rooms are large, most are in fact mini-suites with separate bed room and living area. Ours had ample of space for 2 adults and 2 kids (the sofa bed sleeps the 2 kids).

The rooms and the entire hotel is very clean and nicely decorated, we loved the room as soon as we entered it. I also liked the chip-card controlled room access system. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful.

The salt-water pool is huge and very pretty, unfortunately the water was quite cold (the ocean was much warmer). The view from the terrace and poolside is again nothing short of spectacular.

The only downside for us was that the restaurant only opened for breakfast, possibly because the high season had already ended? For italian standards, the breakfast was quite good and among the best we had on our entire Italy trip of 2 weeks, just don't expect a buffet like you would get in a **** star hotel in most other countries...you're in Italy after all!

The hotels is just a very short walk away from the Marina, but far enough away to not have to smell the diesel fumes of the harbour.

If I ever have the chance to visit Capri again, I will immediately book this and no other hotel!

• Stayed October 2004
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 2 June 2004

The Palatium is the most impossing hotel on Capri, as you can see it above the harbour as you arrive by boat. The service is excellent with porters picking you up at the harbour, so no stress. Our room was clean and offered a lot for the money with fantastic views. The breakfast was superb and the bar a fantastic place to watch the sun set. The hotel offers a large pool, plus access to a small beach, which we realised no other hotels on the island do. We had a wonderful time and realised that many of guests return year on year...we hope to. The only draw back may be that you have to get the funicular up to Capri town, however it does mean you are away from the tourists and can enjoy a truely relaxing hotel, only going up to the piazatta in the evening when the day trippers have left. Excellent.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member