“Great Vacation Spot” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #33 of 42 Hotels in Capri
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Great Vacation Spot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2012

We stayed at Hotel Villa Sarah for a week in late July and loved it. We had 4 rooms filled with parents and college age kids. The rooms are spacious and clean with larger than normal beds (by European standards) for 2 people. The pool is calming and refreshing - we spent many afternoons there enjoying cappuccino and fresh lemonade from the garden after exploring the island. We would definitely stay at Hotel Villa Sarah again. Two things to keep in mind - 1) it is definitely a strenuous 15 minute walk up hill from the Piazza Umberto (main square) - we got so much exercise no one gained an ounce despite all the great food and wine we consumed. 2) you need to have your baggage sent from the port up to the hotel at a cost of 15 Euro per bag each direction. We thought about trying to do it on our own to save money and THERE IS NO WAY this will work for anything but a small carryon bag. Use the service!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank 909LAH

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2012

This is our second trip to Capri and while the Island is gorgeous, on both occasions we were made to feel unwanted by the hotels. Italians are treated with a great deal more respect and consideration. This was equally true at Villa Sarah where we felt tolerated by the staff rather than welcomed. The rooms are very small even by Capri standards, the walk up hill very long with no view to offset the hot trip. While there is a pool, it is too small for the number of guests to enjoy it. The breakfasts are good and poolside food excellent. Rooms are clean. As on the rest of Capri guests pay for wifi - really in 2012? Ask for the dimensions of your room when booking and be prepared for a very long, steep climb with your luggage (despite the description on the Villa Sarah website).

• Stayed August 2012
4 Thank JMRDB
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

This lovely hotel was a little gem for my vacation in Capri! It is a very short walk to the center of the town, away from the touristy madness. Passing all the best shops & restaurants, you will find yourself in La Piazzetta in under 10 minutes. You can also stay by their lovely pool and sip on drinks as you take in the Mediterranean sun – some days I felt like I was at my private villa! The food is lovely at the hotel, with generous breakfast buffet and day menu. This hotel is also close to Arco Naturale & other natural attractions on the island. The best of Villa Sarah was their staff, who was very kind, polite, & accomodating. Even though the hotel is family-owned, it was a 5-star experience! Thank you. Grazie. Definitely highly recommended!!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

It's nestled away from all of the crazy madness. It's a bit of hike from the center of town, but so peaceful and surrounded by beauty. The owners are the nicest people ever and the housekeepers are on point. I'm not a fan of the breakfast, but I'm american and i think italians aren't that big into breakfast so I just took it as a small culture shock for me. The rooms are clean and functional with great closet space. The beds are a little hard. It's really important to me to have a delicious bed at all times which is why I didn't give it a very good. But my diva bed attitude aside I really enjoyed my stay here mostly because it's away from everything, yet not to far from everything. Then again nothing in Capri proper is that far away.

Room Tip: If you ask for rooms facing the side of the pool you will have views of Capri if you stay ont he oth...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
Renton, Washington, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2011

The only problem with our stay was it was TOO SHORT! This hotel was simply wonderful. It's a bit of a walk, but WELL worth it. Lovely accomodations, the owners were kind and attentive, and their advise in where to eat and what to do was stellar! The extra cost of having our luggage handled was well worth it, and we enjoyed our stay immensely! I only wish we could have stayed longer...

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2011

I stayed 10-11 Sept 2011 in room 36 (single bed) at EUR155/night incl b/f booked direct with hotel.

Hmm. This review needs to be in 2 sections. The pool, gardens and public areas are beautiful and I really enjoyed the ambiance of the place - it was a tropical oasis. I enjoyed eating breakfast alongside the pool in the morning sun. Just perfect. The grounds are kept in perfect condition. The staff were extremely couteous, friendly and helpful - everyone from the lovely breakfast lady to the 2 housekeeping ladies - each time they saw a guest they greeted them cordially. Most of the guests were German when I was there - all the staff had good knowledge of English and German.

My single room was small and pokey and the furniture old. The bathroom flooded each time you had a shower in the 1mx1m cubicle. I hate when the shower curtain sticks to you while you are showering and you peeling it off your back etc. You had to use your available towels to mop the water. This room would be worth no more than EUR65-75 in any other city of Italy - but being Capri they have the cheek to charge EUR155.

That said, I enjoyed my day by the pool - albeit it is annoying that you can only use the pool from around 10.30 to 6 - you cant even lie by the pool out of hours as it is roped off. Some guests like to get up early and go for a dip (like me) so for my EUR155 I cant even do that and its too far down to Marina Piccola for a swim at the (public) beach before breakfast.

A few other annoyances - my air con kept cutting out and I had to ring Reception 3 times to reset the switch. The TV was hard to operate - I followed the instructions but to no avail. In the end Reception advised I had to press some weird combination which was not on the instruction card. On my 2nd day HSK didnt leave me any new towels - I had to get from Reception.

Location - Villa Sarah is in a very quiet part of town, approx 15 mins uphill from the main Piazetta. This is not far BUT when its 30 degrees plus and you do it 3 or 4 times a day - from the beach, from shopping, from dinner - it really annoys you - and forget any high heels - you will kill yourself on the way down the cobble stone hill. Better to stay closer to Piazetta in my opinion. The GOOD side is that there is a small supermarket just 50m from Villa Sarah (at the crossroad of V. Tiberio/V. Sopramonte) for drinks, groceries etc (closed Sundays).

In my opinion, Hotel Luna & Hotel La Tosca have the best views and location for being in Capri - if you can stay around that location you will be better off in the heat. In fact, after my stay at Villa Sarah, I spent another 5 nights at Tosca for EUR100 a night - and while Tosca does not have a pool and spacious public areas, it was much much better value for money all round.

All in all, would I stay again? YES but not at EUR155 per night. Not worth that much.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank YasmineinSydney
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2011

I found this hotel very nice and cheap however it is a bit cramped as the pool is directly attached to the eating area so it is annoying to eat with people are splashing around. You are also only allowed to use it from 11 until 2 then from 4 until 6. And even then you can't splash or make a sound. It is quite far from the centre and has a 15 minute uphill walk from the centre. Don't let this put you off if you want to slim down for summer!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family