“Classy!”
Review of Hotel La Palma

Hotel La Palma
Ranked #13 of 40 Hotels in Capri
Reviewed 30 October 2009

The 1st thing you notice at La Palma is that it is a classy hotel. Its sophisticated, while still blending in with the quaint charm of Capri. Location is right next to the main piazza where all the nightlife is centred, nestled among designer boutiques. Walking distance from the hotel to the funiculare or bus stop. But when in Capri, I would certainly prefer to stay at a hotel with a sea view. Nothing can match the Mediterranean blue.
Room was very refreshing. I loved the colourful floor tiles and the frescoes on the walls, specially in the bathroom. The only dampener on the cleanliness is strands of hair I consistently found on the fresh towels and bathrobes.
Had trouble communicating in English to the staff, but I'm sure they were mostly friendly! The restaurant and bar is very popular late into the night, with a wonderful man on the piano.

On the whole, a nice experience. But my next visit to Capri, I would stay at a cheaper friendlier place overlooking the sea, because when in Capri its criminal not to be outdoors soaking in the sun and the blue and the wine and the pizza. You dont need a fancy hotel to do that!

PS., not sure if its the norm in Europe to charge for the morning newspaper, but I found it rude. Cant a good hotel give a guest a newspaper without charging for it in the final bill???

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business

Reviewed 11 October 2009

We stayed at La Palma for one week this august. I would say that the best thing about this hotel is the location - and the wonderful and talented piano player performing every evening in the bar area. The pool is considered 4 stars - but I would say it is more 3- 3.5 stars worthy - there is no pool, no fitness, no spa - the breakfast is ordinary - the service varies greatly in the restaurant and bar - depending on who is serving you that day. The interior decor of the hotel is slightly off putting..in the sense that it is a mix mash of so many different styles and identities -- you have a hard time understanding what look they are trying to achieve, if any. Its almost as if the owners have bought too many pieces of furniture during different time periods and have not known what to do with it all! That said, the best thing is the location - you can walk to most of Capri within a few minutes - and be located to the main square and all the shops imaginable.Added bonus we discovered is the fantastic piano entertainer who plays every evening! He should be promoted much more in this hotel and on their website. He is truly an old school style Italian entertainer - and plays superbly and has quite a following in the evenings, where is plays in the bar area. He plays all the Neapolitan favorites and all the classics - and best to hear him play for an after dinner drink, after 10:00 pm. Make sure to go here next time you are in Capri.

Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 September 2009

We previously stayed on Capri and was excited to see affordable rates this year because the hotel was in a great location. We made reservations for me and my husband for one room, my two sons in another room. We also made reservations for my son and his wife (on their honeymoon) with their own credit card number. The whole stay had less than average service. My oldest son fell in the shower and they made no attempt to help or get medical help. In fact, they acted put out. We did not receive wake up calls which caused us to miss an event or called the wrong room. We checked out then my son and his wife checked out. They charged our credit card for their room, without any authorization from us and will not answer our emails to rectify this. We have disputed the charge but have not heard back. As far as we are concerned they have broken the law. Think twice before staying here!!!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank BoscosMom1
Reviewed 2 August 2009

The hotel is way over-priced is is not a 4-5 star by USA standards. There is no pool, and God forbid you ask for an extra towel - they act very annoyed by that. A Margarita drink is 12-15 Euros!!! and they have their hand out for every little thing they can think of to charge you for.

Stayed: July 2009
Reviewed 2 June 2009

My husband and I came to Capri on honeymoon and although we did not actually stay in this hotel we had dinner here 2 nights. The lobby was lovely and the bar area was very chic & sophisticated. The cocktails were also great. We ate once in the dining room and the other time outside and both areas were very pleasant. I have to say that the Prawn & asparagus risotto was outstanding. They also do a pasta dish with blue cheese and it's the nicest pasta i've tasted! The waiters were smart and from what we saw of the hotel it was lovely. I would certainly consider staying here. My only concern is that I love sea views and I am not sure whether you would get one from this hotel as it's in the centre. If we were to come back to Capri again we will defiately be back for some top class pasta!!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 May 2009

My wife and I did not actually stay here. But we did have cocktails three days in a row on the outside terrace and once in the evening for the Piano Player. After a full morning and afternoon, the Hotels outside terrace offers a great way to relax and regroup. I could enjoy a cigar and glass of the wonderful regional wine, Aglianico, with the complimentary olives, which were delicious. The waiter was friendly and gave us some good info on where else to go and eat, which we took up on his recommendation, and were not disappointed. On Saturday night we went to the piano bar on the inside. The piano player was good and a few people were hanging out at the bar, although not to many. Once in awhile someone would get up and sing with the player. I wish more people had been there to create more energy, because it would have made a perfect evening, but alas it did not. Not sure if we were there too early or too late. We did gather brochures and are considering staying there on our next visit, however, whether you stay there or not, it is a great place to chill out mid day, and if you want some music without the tourist trap, check it out in the evening.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 January 2009

I was part of a tour group of 45, 39 Americans and 6 Canadians. The hotel was immaculate, the staff I did interact with were fine. We ate breakfast one morning and one dinner. Meals were fine, plenty of food and tasty. The room was beautiful from top to bottom. Yellow, white and cobalt blue tiles on the floor with matching bedding. Towels, etc., all were plentiful for the two of us. We stayed two nights and I have no complaints. We retired to the patio after dinner and the service was fine.

I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)