“Amazing views, thats it really!”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Punta Tragara

Punta Tragara
Ranked #22 of 41 Hotels in Capri
Melbourne
“Amazing views, thats it really!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

We arrived after a long long walk to get there. Once we walked in we realised the air con was very low and only near the front desk area. (yes the rest of the building was NOT air-conditioned) not to mention when we were taken up to our room our room wasn't air conditioned. Although, the room had amazing views I found the bathroom small and no natural light, we had the Certosa Suite which cost us $1500euros a night. Our bed was two singles put together when we asked them for a King bed we were told they didnt have any. I also couldn't believe there was only 1 mirror in the whole suite (which makes it very hard when trying to get ready). The service is very arrogant and the house keeping DONT speak English which gets very annoying. Try asking them for a toothbrush (they think you’re asking for espresso or sprite). My husband and I tried to enjoy the pool area the service again, was very poor. It’s almost like you are disturbing them when you ask for a drink. Overall we tried to stay out of the hotel as much as we could as we found the staff to be not welcoming and tired. We complained to the front desk manager who seemed sincere but didnt do much about it. Would we choose to stay there again? Absolutely NOT. Would we go to Capri again, YES but I will choose to stay at Capri Palace. Dont be fooled by the breakfast photo, very average selection.

Room Tip: Certosa suite is spacious, bathroom is small
1 Thank DenGin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

Yes, the hotel is marvelous in many ways: the view is breathtaking, the restaurant served some of the best food I ever had in Capri, the staff was friendly, the spa treatments all good and yet a few little flaws too many for a hotel that charges above EUR 1000 a night. The rooms, while nice, clean and elegant, are nothing special, the Wi-Fi was spotty, TV did not work and overall I did not feel pampered enough given that my final bill after a week in Capri was almost equivalent to the price of my daughter's VW Bettle. I suppose it's the location that makes this hotel special. Also, the hotel advertises as if it was designed (at least partly) by the iconic architect Le Corbusier. No one at the hotel could really tell me what the connection to Le Corbusier was but admitted that he did not design anything at or for the property.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
New York, New York, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

This was our first stop on our honeymoon, so we opted for the Jr suite here, and we were happy we did! We loved our duplex jr suite with a balcony with a sea view as far as the eye could see. The hotel itself is one of the most beautiful in Capri. Yes, it is a walk from town - but its a gorgeous and easy walk! The walk is a pedestrian walkway to town with beautiful views and my husband and I thoroughly enjoyed the walk to and from town every night. It was nice to get away from the crowds when we wanted to. We had the pleasure of dining at Monzu during our stay and had a delicious meal with great service and the best view in town! Also, the breakfast in the mornings is a great way to start the day. While we didn't spend all of our days at the hotel, we did hang by the pool one day and enjoyed the view and service from the pool bar. My only negative, and the reason I didnt give 5 stars, is that the night concierge, Giuseppe, should be the day time Concierge! He was, by far and away, the most helpful, nicest, knowledgeable and friendly of all the people we interacted with at the front desk! We quickly realized this and would make the next days plans after dinner with Giuseppe's help. But all in all, we loved Capri and the Punta Tragara!

Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013 via mobile

The best breathtaking view over the Capri Bay and the most famous Faraglioni rocks! The service is outstanding. I suggest to book a daily boat trip with a personal skipper! Ask the concierge - you won't be disappointed. This hotel is a dream! A dinner at the Monzú Restaurant is a must! Take the degustation menu! Enjoy it!

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mirco T
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2013

The Punta Tragara was, by far, the nicest hotel I have ever had the pleasure to stay at. We were worried that the walk every day and night would be a bit far for us but WOW, it was well worth it. We actually enjoyed being a bit farther away from the main square and the view on the walk made it so enjoyable. We were really in Heaven! Had a Jr. Suit with a balcony big enough for 50 people with a view that just took our breath away. The walk in closet, comfy bed, sitting area and bathroom were beyond amazing! The 2 pools, bar service, and restaurent were also fantastic! But all that aside, the service was just outstanding. Every single person who worked at the front desk (I'm ashamed to say I didn't learn their names) was more then helpful in every way. We unfortunately had to cut our trip short due to an emergency at home and the staff at the Hotel did everything they possibly could to help us make all the arrangements needed for us to get home in a hurry. They were compassionate, helpful, knowledgeable, and just a pleasure to deal with. All in all, our experience at Punta Tragara was really fantastic, and we hope to make it back there one day VERY soon.

Room Tip: Room 50!! You won't be sorry!!!!
São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2013

I've just returned from a travel to Italy, in which I've stayed 4 days in Punta Tragara. The hotel is right in the main tourist spot of Capri, which partially explains the price you're paying. Anyway, it's worth, because nobody else will have a view as perfect as a guest staying there. The treatment given to the guest is also impeccable and the hotel staff really strive to meet all your expectations. Regarding the room, I was in room with ocean view, and thought it could maybe be a bit more luxurious and comfortable considering the price charged. Maybe it's just the Capri style. I definitely recommend the stay, but it's always important to remember that you must be willing to walk a little bit to arrive at the hotel, because cars don't get there.

Room Tip: I've stayed in a room with a ocean view and I loved the privacy that it offered (I could sunbath...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013

We just returned from a 4 day stay at the Punta Tragara... At first we were slightly disappointed because the hotel is really quite a walking distance from the main area of town. Having said that, it is a beautiful walk to and from - just a little inconvenient if you want to "pop out". I also wouldn't recommend it if you have young children. The view is indeed amazing.

The rooms aren't particularly exceptional - they're not very big and we had a junior suite! The decor is also not remarkable but most beach places in Italy are like that. Housekeeping is hit or miss and my mother's balcony was still filthy and the ashtrays not emptied out after housekeeping had been...

Breakfast was good and the upper pool area was really nice. Difficult to find in Capri as most are so small you wouldn't be able to spend the whole day by the pool for instance.

Price was outrageous, I have to say. Not only for the room but where we found it really ridiculous was when we ordered a few soft drinks by the pool and were charged 75 Euro. That's just a rip off and taking advantage of guests.

Finally, most of the staff was courteous and pleasant but there were a couple of people at the reception (one lady in particular) who was not friendly at all and quite "snobby"!!!! Um, excuse me, WE'RE the guests!!??!

One tip: do not bother asking the hotel to book you a transfer from the island to anywhere in Naples. Go as far as the tickets for the boat only - they wanted to charge us 200 Euro to go from Naples port to the airport by "private transfer" when we just took a taxi (which is also private!!!!) and paid 25 Euro.

Overall, a good and pleasant stay.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family