“Beautiful Hotel, exceptional staff and perfect service!”
Review of La Minerva

and 1 more site!
La Minerva
Ranked #1 of 40 Hotels in Capri
Reviewed 6 October 2012

What can I say about Capri except what everyone already knows, it's gorgeous, but expensive. However, one of the best values on the island is Hotel La Minerva. Family owned and flawlessly run, this was one of our favorite hotels of the enitre 22 day trip. The owners and staff here just do back-flips to make your stay absolutely perfect. We were treated like royalty, but at a reasonable rate.

Luigi and Antonio saw to every tiny detail of our stay, they were just wonderful. The hotel is beautiful, quiet and exceptionally clean. The linens are sumptuous and you get a fresh flower every evening at turn-down. The balcony is the perfect spot to enjoy a glass (or two) of Proseco upon arrival.

Our rooms were excellent, with all the bells and whistles. The service here is amazing, you feel the staff is on call just for you 24/7. Breakfast is great, Kamel, our favorite server from Sri Lanka, will make your eggs however you like them, and the coffee...oh my....the coffee is simply the best in the world, strong and piping hot! All this is served on the patio overlooking the bright blue sea. Kamel also mans the bar at the pool in the afternoon, where he will bring you fresh fruit, ice cold Limoncello and clean fluffy towels. He is just a sweetheart, we received the best of care from this gentelman.

Luigi and Antonio know the island very well, and they sent us to many captivating places and several excellent restaurants. They also arranged our fabulous day aboard the Papino with Rafael from Capri Boats and for our luggage to get carted about the island with perfect timing. We were so sorry to leave La Minerva, we got hugs from everyone. We are sure to be back if we ever have the opportunity to visit Capri again. Sincere thanks to Luigi, Antonio and Kamel, we will be back one day!

Thanks guys, we miss you all!

Keith and Camille Taylor
Thompsons Station, TN.

Room Tip: Balcony is a must!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank MizCamille
Write a ReviewReviews (1,076)

Reviewed 6 October 2012

I never write reviews, but after using Trip Advisor for so much of my planning to Italy, I really want to be able to give back. Let's just start by saying that La Minerva is simply the BEST! Luigi and Antonino could not have been more friendly or more helpful. They know their island well and guide you to the best places based on your criteria. Nothing is ever too much. This hotel is certainly beautiful and immaculate, but it's truly the staff that make it memorable. From our first encounter with the lovely Mariano, to Marco showing us to our room and explaining the hotel(Marco makes the absolute best Aperol Spritz!) and of course Kamal who always greeted us at breakfast with the cheeriest smile. His genuine sincerity and attention to detail are unforgettable. He is truly a gem. I don't think I could possibly say enough about this place except to say that we were originally going to spend 4 nights and after our first 15 minutes there, my husband immediately wanted to add a 5th night and luckily they were able to accommodate us. We can't wait to come back. If you are planning a trip to Capri and are vacillating where to stay, look no further. There is only one choice: La Minerva!

Reviewed 3 October 2012

There are many 4star hotels in Capri. We made our choise easy for 20th anniversary trip by reserving the number 1 hotel by Tripadisor in Capri, La Minerva. We had great expectations for the trip and hotel. La Minverva astonished us with wonderful service.

It seems that many Capri hotels have nice rooms, views to the ocean, pools and great breakfast. I belive there is a reason why so many write here positive things about La Minerva. It is a small boutique hotel with one competetive edge: they know how to care and take care of their guests. We got a personal touch with all La Minerva personel and they made service flow - Luigi, Antonio, Marco, and Kamal - You are doing a great job! Thank you. You deserve to be number one not only in Capri but Italy.

We learnt to trust La Minerva suggestions about restaurants more than Tripadvisor. Tastes are different, but when you tell Luigi or Antonio what kind of restaurant you are looking for, they will tell you where to go. For example we had our best dinner at Ristorante Aurora which is ranked 34th in Capri at Tripadvisor.

We enjoyed a walking trip around the cape from La Minerva. There is a nature park and you probably need guidelines at La Minerva. Views are magnificent and it gives a diffrentent approach to Capri. The highlight of our Capri was a private boat trip around the island and swimming in the green grotto. Of course, all arrangements were made very easy by La Minerva.

We left La Minerva with smile on our faces and sadness in our hearts. We wish we could have stayed there longer than 4 days. We envy those who are staying at La Minerva right now.

We hope you can keep up with your friendly and pedantic service. You have to make the diffrence every day to keep the number 1 place.

Room Tip: We had a superior room and we were satisfied with it. Good size and great view to the ocean. We enjo...
Reviewed 1 October 2012

This is the first time I wrote a review for any thing but felt that I have to. This is without a doubt the most friendly and wonderful hotel I have ever stayed at. My wife and I travel a lot all over the world and I travel weekly around the US for work and I have never been more happy with a hotel. Luigi, Antonio, Marco, and Kamal do just about any thing possible to make you happy and they seem to genuinely enjoy what they do. Me and my wife went here for our honeymoon and what a great choice we made to stay at La Minerva. We had a standard room with a view of the sea and the room was clean and spacious with plenty of storage. Eating breakfast every morning on the roof top terrace looking out at the sea and mountains was one of the highlights of the day. Luigi and Antonio were more than happy to set up boat tours, restaurant suggestions and reservation or what ever else you could need. On the boat tour I forgot my credit card to pay and the captain on the boat called Minerva and they paid for the boat with no questions and just added it to my bill at check out. We literally felt like we were staying with a relative for the 5 days and there isn't one complaint we could think of. I think we wanted to cry when we left and would of loved to stay longer but we were heading to Rome for 6 days. We even talked to other American's who were staying there to see if they had the same experience as us and they all said Minerva was excellent. All I can say is that I don't know if there is a better hotel in Capri as I have only stayed here but I can tell you if I ever go to Capri again I will only stay at Minerva because I know that the room,service,food, and the personalities of the staff and overall experience will be 5 stars guaranteed. If you go to Capri stay here and you wont be disappointed. Thanks again to Luigi, Antonio and Kamal for making our honeymoon at so special.

Nick & Hillary

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with a view of the sea on a higher level.
Reviewed 30 September 2012

My partner and I returned from Italy a few weeks ago and I am not the type of person to write online reviews, but La Minerva deserves it. I am extremely picky when it comes to traveling and I just loved La Minerva. I was worried for awhile if I made the right choice and had also booked the Quisisana in town, but I am so happy we didnt stay there. Town is so much fun to go into for the night and have dinner and drinks and people watch, but you dont want to actually stay there. Minerva was such a quick and pretty 5 minute walk to the center of everything, but at the same time feels so far away, just so quiet and relaxing. Oh and the staff are incredible. My husband and I felt so welcome and cared for, but not in any kind of an overdone manner. They were sensational with every request and made us terrific reservations all over the island. The breakfast is delicious and cooked to order. One morning we slept in and they still welcomed me up way past the time that they stopped serving, and again, they genuinely didnt seem to mind. When we were there we ran into a man who was clearly well traveled and he has been going there for 17 years and always stays at La Minerva, I am not surprised, and I hope to follow in his footsteps. By the way, you must take the walk to La Fontelina restaurant from the hotel, breathtaking little hike and truly a special place. Have fun!

Room Tip: Dont worry about your room category, I did, and it was a waste of energy... our room was beautiful.
Reviewed 24 September 2012

We used trip advisor to choose somewhere for our honeymoon and it didn't disappoint. We loved La Minerva and are already planning our return (we are still on our honeymoon!) Antonino was delightful and the warmth of all the staff made us feel very welcome.
The hotel has all the things that you need, a great view, nice rooms, delicious breakfast and a helpful concierge. I also used the gym nearby which is available to Minerva guests and it was great. We had one of the deluxe rooms which meant a much larger balcony and bathroom. If there is any criticism it's that the pool was a bit cold! Now that is being spoilt!

1  Thank llcooljMumbai
Reviewed 22 September 2012

I'm a solo traveller and I booked La Minerva based on the reviews for it here on Tripadvisor. I wasn't disappointed. All the positive comments people have said here before me are true and moreso: this is a fantastic, unpretentious, spotlessly clean villa hotel with stunning views of Capri from almost every window, gastronomic breakfast on offer every morning and the friendliest, warmest hospitality I have ever come across in a hotel ... and full use of the private, outdoor swimming pool! I felt like I was staying in proprietors Antonio and Luigi's home rather than in a hotel, and was treated like a family friend rather than as a guest.

As most reviewers before me stayed here with partners and thereby stayed in the stunning double rooms and suites, there are few reviews about the single room available at La Minerva. As I stayed in this room for three nights this Summer my review is primarily about it which I hope is useful to similar solo travellers considering staying here.

Yes, the room is small but perfectly adequate. It is tastefully decorated with white walls and chic, modern, cream-coloured pieces of furniture giving the impression of more space and light. Delightful Caprian-style tiles are used on the floor.

Yes, it can only house a single bed, but this room is after all only for single use and the bed is very comfortable indeed.

It comes with air-conditioning, a good sized wardrobe with drawers, a self-coding safe and a fridge with complimentary water and soft drinks (two bottles of still and sparkling water are replaced within it daily). The TV comes with Sky Italia which offers a huge selection of entertainment, movie and news channels though most are in Italian (Sky News and BBC News are available and any US movies shown on the movie channels are generally not dubbed nor subtitled). The TV set however was a bit temperamental and it took me a while to work out the knack of actually turning it on (switch the TV on at the set, then press the 'TV' button on the remote control followed by '1', and almost always then the TV would switch on from standby mode).

The bathroom is actually a decent size, tiled floor to ceiling with those lovely Caprian tiles again giving it a lot of character, and is exceptionally clean. The walk-in shower is nice and big, giving consistently hot water and can easily be controlled by the user. The toilet sometimes wouldn't stop filling after flushing which was a bit noisy, but a second flush seemed to remedy this.

Yes, it doesn't have the stunning views from the window like the other rooms do, something that is made very clear from the start - almost apologically - by Antonio and Luigi. What it does have is a doorway which opens out to a narrow space between the side of the hotel and the one next door, but enough space to stand outside, sit on the step and see the sky and some trees. The wall directly opposite the door and window (the side of the other hotel) has crawling plants up around it which makes it look less harsh and more natural, and some of the rock which the buildings are built on top of is exposed which too adds character. It does make the room a bit dark, but has been painted white to bounce as much natural light back into the room as possible. Although this private outside space is a bonus, it does open onto a path along the side of the hotels. There is a large potted cactus that seems to act like a fence along the path but this can be got around fairly easily. One night a side door to the other hotel was open and although it's not near the room (it's a bit down the path past the cactus, and has a partition around it to conceal it from La Minerva), if I wanted to I could have walked along the side and straight into the other hotel without being noticed. As a Londoner and a solo female traveller this did ring security alarm bells in my head on my first night, but the door to the room can easily be locked and the key removed from the lock which made me feel much safer. I know Capri is generally known to be safe but for non-Caprian guests I would suggest to Antonio & Luigi to maybe create a more private, secure courtyard here and put up a fence/railing across the pathway if they are permitted to replacing the potted cactus.

When I returned in the evening, a light was left on in my room, my bin had been emptied, my bed was turned and a rose was left on my pillow with a leaflet detailing the next day's weather and suggestions of what to do the next day in Capri. This was a really nice, romantic touch and much appreciated.

There are a number of cosy lounges (with some of the most comfortable sofas I've ever drifted off on) and terraces with stunning views throughout the building and the spacious poolside area to spend time by (often not even occupied by other guests) certainly makes up for the lack of space and view in the bedroom.

It's a cosy, peaceful (although at night I could here a distant boiler somewhere steaming away but it wasn't too noisy and it didn't affect my ability to sleep) and romantic room, very Caprian in style, met all my needs, was spotlessly clean and I felt happy and safe spending time in it. Antonio and Luigi have done everything they can to make this a good room and make up for its lack of space and view. Approx £100 a night for it may sound steep, but with use of the private outdoor pool anytime (and apparently a gym down the road), the stunning views elsewhere in the hotel, the great hospitality and amazing breakfast on the terrace, and just five-ten minutes walk from Capri Town, I felt this was good value especially considering how expensive Capri can be.

I would certainly stay at La Minerva again if I went back to Capri, and would have no problem staying in the single room again ... but maybe as a treat I would splash out a bit more and go for one of the double rooms with a private terrace instead as the views are simply wonderful.

Room Tip: If you can afford it treat yourself to one of the double rooms with a terrace - the view is spectacu...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo