“Paradise!”

La Minerva
Ranked #1 of 41 Hotels in Capri
“Paradise!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2005

We stayed at La Minerva for 5 nights in July 2004 for our honeymoon. It was truly wonderful. The location is great - walking distance from the main restaurants and shops, yet situated on a quiet little side street so you feel removed from the crowds. Our room was very spacious and clean and we loved eating our breakfast on the balcony surrounded by flowers and with a view of the sea. Perfect!

• Stayed July 2004
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2005

I am so happy that I found the website for Hotel La Minerva! I stayed at this treasure of a hotel and would highly recommend it to all who are going to the Island of Capri. Luigi & the staff are so very helpful and absolutely delightful. It is a very clean, beautifully decorated (I loved my room with the blue and white tiles and the veiw was divine!!!!) It was lovely having breakfast brought to you and placed out on the table on the balcony, with that divine view, what a way to start your day!!! I hope to go back to the Island of Capri one day soon and I know where I will stay!!! I look forward to seeing Luigi & Staff at Hotel La Minerva!!!
Ciao, Cheryl

• Stayed April 2003
3 Thank Chel81
Leeds Yorkshire UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2005

We stayed at the La Minerva on our honeymoon in July 2004. We have stayed there twice before. What can I say. We found the hotel to be perfect for us. Quiet, Extremely Clean, Well Run with polite and helpfull staff and Luigi Esposito was a charming, friendly and communicative host. The view form the balcony of the room was fantastic. I have stayed at many places over the years and do not think that the La Minerva was overpriced. I am always happy to pay the right price for a quality holiday. I would rather pay extra and have a good time. I am not that easy to please but was extremely content throughout my stay there. If you like quality and style together with unobtrusive, polite, respectful service then La Minerva is PERFECT

5 Thank Paul R
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2004

My wife and I stayed at this hotel in August, 2004 during our honeymoon in Italy. It was excellent and would return there without hesitation. I can't imagine how someone's stay at this hotel could have been so poor as to justify such a long list of complaints. As a doctor in the UK, I haven't got the time to write such a long review!

2 Thank welshcake186
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2004

I stayed at this hotel at the end of May 2004 and must say that I absolutely loved it. What happened to the previous reviewer must have been a one in a million type of incident because when I was there, the place was beautiful and spotless...looked exactly like on their website. It was also quiet and has a magnificent terrace where I have had probably the best breakfast of my 5 week journey around Italy...I would go back there in a heartbeat. This is not a resort hotel but a magical pristine little place with shiny white and blue ceramics and fuchsia flowers lining you view from the terrace. You really feel like you're immersed in all the wonder of Capri and could not be just anywhere in the world. Special. My two cents. And by the way, Luigi, the owner was a great host and very helpful with any info and request during my stay. I think the previous reviewer from Germany has a bone to pick and lets face it, some people always find something to complain about!

• Stayed May 2004
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2004

Last summer we stayed at the Minerva hotel. It was small but comfortable,not special but clean.
No cucarachas in our room (maybe outside, in the garden), but millions of mosquitos night and day: it was very irritating!
As regards breakfast, we didn't have any breakfast in this hotel.
The owner asked me to write a review for tripadvisor,he give me the Email address, and to send him a copy, but I've never done it. I paid the bill and the only thing I complained about,was the long distance from the beaches,because the hotel don't have pool.
We think the Minerva hotel is a good hotel to stay, even though it didn't impress us as much as it did with those poets who wrote of this place.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
, Owner at La Minerva, responded to this review, 23 December 2004
Dear client. I am sorry if you had problems with mosquitos. Last year has been quite a bad year for them on the whole island but they usually do not enter in the rooms if you use the air conditioning. I suppose you did not use it. You could have mentioned the problem because we have a repellent dispenser we can easily install. We prefer not to istall it unless somebody asks for it because it contains a small dose of insecticide and again with the air conditioning on, mosquitos do not bother anyone as far as I know.

Regarding my request for a review on tripadvisor, let me say that the only case I could have done something like that is if you told me you would post a review. I think I asked for the email just to send a thank.
In any case I am very surpised about your review and the previous one because I do not mention tripadvisor to any guest unless tripadvisor is mentioned to me first. Anyway I will be very carefull in the future to avoid any discussion regarding this web site (even if the discussion is not started by me!).

Best regards
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2004

The Minerva hotel is only a little Italian pension. It is not very nice (the three stars are VIRTUAL!), but it is the funniest place in the world! Try and let me know?
Tell the owner, Mr Esposito , that you are not happy in his pension and he will give you a 30% discount. But you can do something better? Tell him that the bread at breakfast was stale (it often happens that the bread is from the day before), and that you found a cucaracha running up and down your room, and Mr Esposito will let you pay only the 50% of the price, asking you not to tell anybody else.
In the end, everybody says to pay 200 Euro, but they actually pay 100 Euro It's very funny???
We stayed at La Minerva in October 2004; we were given the 50% discount, so we paid only 95 Euro, probably because we complained much more than other guests. Anyway we decided to send this review to let people know the truth about this funny pension with five stars prices. We'll never go back there!
Try the Casa Morgano,or the Quisisana, where the price without cucaracha is only 35 Euro more and breakfast is really special as it is in five stars hotels.
And please, forget that Mr. Esposito promised you one free night in Capri if you had proved to have sent a review to Tripadvisor, Mr. Esposito would better think to serve fresh bread to his guests and to kill all the cucarachas in his hotel!

15 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
, Owner at La Minerva, responded to this review, 21 December 2004
Dear Mrs. ------,

it has been more than a year since you have stayed here at La Minerva but I perfectly remember everything. You are perfectly right. The experience you had the first night you stayed with us was completely disappointing and not acceptable. I remember your room had a sudden hants invasion and some of them even went on the bed while you were sleeping. What I suppose was the reason of that is that we switched from air conditioning to heating on that night and that fact in some way "uncovered" all of a sudden what was up to that moment a very well hidden problem. Believe me, Hants are very common on the island and with all flowers we have sometimes not easily stoppable. Hants do not mean the room was old or not clean because you may agree that the room you had was brand new (not refurbished or redecorated or repainted but completely built brand new from floor to ceiling only two years before) and immaculately clean. You may also agree that upon your check in everything seemed fine and what happened during the night was a very bad surprise even for myself.

Now your evaluation of my following behaving differs from mine.
The following morning the room was changed right away to another one of the same category and in my opinion even nicer. You say you were granted a 50% discount on the first night while I remember the night was completely free of charge (but I may be mistaking on this issue). I have not had the pleasure to talk directly with you as all my conversations were held with your very nice husband (if I am not wrong he spoke a very good but not perfect italian even if he was a foreigner). In any case you may ask your husband because I always spoke with him and NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, it was agreed you would not put a bad review on tripadvisor because of the discount: NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, we mentioned tripadvisor or any other hotel review website. Your husband just thanked me for the discount and right AFTER (let me stress it AFTER) we agreed on the discount said something like "thank you. I am sure my wife will be fine now. She was very mad and she was thinking of sending some letters". I apologized once again. When you left I apogized once again and your husband even said that something like that may happen. I remember you were smiling at me on his back, apparently happy because I did not refuse to take my responsibilities and recognized your damage.

May be your suspects that something "wrong" was agreed come from the fact that it was not necessary to argue or to fight to have the discount!

Besides that, let me say that it is FALSE and OFFENSIVE that it is enough to complain to have a
discount and that because of that the hotel of my family, where we put all our energies and our pride is a "funny pension". When switching from first room to second one your husband also asked for a discount because the first room had different urnitures! I still think the second room you had was bigger and in my opinion even nicer. In that case I did not think your request was fair and I rejected it. I tought you were a bit trying to get advantage of the situation.
Regarding stale bread I do not remember anything about it but I believe you and I admit even in that case you may have been not particularly lucky. It may have happened that the bread finished one morning. No more than that. But you are right and I owe you my apologies for that. It should not happen and I am sorry.

Where I am very disappointed is because of your last sentence. I think the fact that you have a one night free of charge if you send a nice review on tripadvisor is simply FALSE, RIDICOULOUS AND OFFENSIVE. I would like to know when something like that was discussed with you, or with your husband or anybody else, even as a joke !!! I think my dignity is more important than a nice review on tripadvisor !