“Lower your expectations- centrally located but not clean”
Review of La Residenza Capri

La Residenza Capri
Ranked #26 of 40 Hotels in Capri
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Fundamentally, when I come to a four star hotel I have an expectation of service, cleanliness and comfort. This hotel is very centrally located in the heart of Capri. Every time I had a question the staff was very helpful in answering and making suggestions (although I needed to ask the question and was not provided the information beforehand- such as "where is breakfast", "how do I get my luggage down to the port", "can you make the boat reservation" etc.). Even breakfast (great view) was just mediocre- there were some scrambled eggs in a cold dish sitting on the table and the staff was very nice to make some more but I had to ask and insist that the eggs on the table were very cold.
The hotel was not clean. When I entered my room there were leftover hairs of various sizes and colours all over- one in the sink, a few more in the shower, and when I went to put my umbrella down in a corner I was afriad to put it down because of the collection of dirt and hairs. I asked the cleaning staff to come back in. Even so, I then noticed that one of my shower gels was dirty and half used but had been put back for me or old foamy soap on the backsplash tile behind the sink.
My quality of sleep was not good because the door is very thin and so I could hear every sound from people coming up the stairs and speaking to each other and going into their rooms.
I would not return to this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank SusiBarton
There are newer reviews for La Residenza Capri

Reviewed 2 May 2014

We stayed here as part of a Tour group and initially we were given an older room which badly needed upgrading. It had cracked tiles, a useless toilet, a door that jammed, no view and a hard bed. After putting up with this for one night we were upgraded to a bigger room in another part of the hotel. It was great. It had two balconies, a good bed, plenty of room and everything worked well. If you want wifi you need to go to the lobby area. Breakfast had good choices but they could not cope with large groups.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view and be prepared to pay a little more
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Les6447
Reviewed 12 January 2014

We stayed at La Residenza as part of a tour. While it was conveniently located and had a facade of a fancy hotel it was well below par. Rooms were dirty. The beds are very hard, giving us little sleep. Linen was as stiff as cardboard. Breakfast was stale pastries - we wondered why we never saw any other guests!

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank billytheblacksmith
Reviewed 3 November 2013

On arrival we were impressed by the marbled, open plan lobby and bar area. We assumed this grandeur was indicative what was yet to come. Never were two people so wrong. On being handed our key, we went to our room (208) to unpack and get ready for a busy days eating and wine quaffing. Our room was dark, dingy and dirty. The walls were covered in marks, there were stains on the headboard and the balcony was covered in cigarette butts. We went back down stairs and asked to be moved. We we're shown another room but turned this one down too as it was significantly smaller than the previous one and was by no means an improvement. After much humming and hawing we were given the key to 307. Supposedly an upgrade. The room was indeed brighter with more amenities - ceiling fan, bath/shower combo, bidet (o_O) and the balcony was bigger. The check-in process up till now had taken the bones of an hour so with this room being the lesser of the 3 evils, we decided to accept it. We moved our bags up and started to unpack. It was at this point we realised the room was right beside the lift which regularly treated us to mechanical groans, whirs and clunks throughout our stay. There was a large crack running down the wall beside the door, all of the upholstery in the room was stained to some degree, the shower was just hilarious and there was a 2 inch gap between the wall and the top of the door out on to the balcony. The breakfast was meager and the coffee was like something you'd get at a road side stop from a sweaty man in a stained apron.

The only saving graces of this glorified hostel were the friendly staff and the view, which was quite beautiful.

Avoid if possible.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Fred E
Reviewed 23 October 2013

This was a lovely place (well it could be) but needs to be updated. Bed was hard and patio chairs were falling apart. Bathroom was small but typical of Europe, Unique title floor and cold in October. It rained one night and our door off the patio flew open! Also our patio floor had about an inch of water. But as I noted in my title our view was great.

Room Tip: No wash cloths and if you use hair conditioner bring your own!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank azkolachi
Reviewed 14 October 2013

The room was awful. Small, dirty, molding missing on inside door frame, safe did not work, toilets flushed sporadically, shower stall was very small. Roll up door to a "patio" facing a wall. Musty and black mold. Breakfast food was poorly replenished. The television was unbelievably small. This was a room made available through a Globus Tour. Worst hotel on the tour. These were basement rooms that should NOT have been given to guests with a high priced Globus Tour!! The pool area was good. Restaurant was good. Would not recommend. This is a true assessment of what I had.

Room Tip: Some rooms we saw, looked nice. Suggest checking your room before accepting.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank PeteB01
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We stayed at this hotel two nights, and enjoyed it. The location was situated close to most everything. It did offer a swimming pool, but the weather was cool, so we opted not to try it out. Our bathroom was pretty much standard with a stool, bidet, and a tub/shower combo. WiFi worked well, and we had a nice balcony porch with table and chairs to sit and enjoy the scenery. Closets were nice size, although the rooms seemed a little small. I would opt to stay here again if staying in Capri. The room keys are quite heavy, but we gave our keys to the front desk when leaving the hotel so we would not have to carry them. Many other couples did the same.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple