“Where we take friends” 5 of 5 bubbles

Bar Il Gabbiano
Ranked #1 of 5 Coffee & Tea in Capri
Cuisines: Italian, Cafe, Mediterranean, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene, Cheap Eats, Groups, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Drinks, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Tiburon, California
“Where we take friends”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

One of the must overlooked cafes on Capri due I guess to its location among all the tacky shops.
Yet this is a little spot we take friends for a fast drink or 2/3/4 well it is Capri.
the owner is always on hand and as mush a tour guide as a fine host.
Don't pass this place by if you have a thirst for a cold one and a good time.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
Wellington, New Zealand
“Friendly surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

After the push from every shop on the road from the boat, it was nice to be greeted by a friendly smile at Il Gabbiano. Our waiter was Nazandro (sp) and he was the perfect host. It's probably not the cheapest place in Capri, but top marks for attentiveness, a great environment and free wifi. We went here in the morning for lunch and back in the afternoon for gelato.

London
“Beware of The great waterfront con”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

We stopped here for a beer and a coffee. They have 2 beers on the menu Small at e4.50 and Grande at e6.50. When my beer arrived it was huge and the glass was ice gold, fantastic. While soaking up the atmosphere we were approached by a young waiter giving it all the charm, saying he could help us with anything we wanted on Capri, telling us he was 'The man'. I then overheard him talking to someone behind saying .4litre times 3 that's how we get the price. I thought nothing of it until I asked him for the bill. Without hesitation this young waiter said e18. I said it should be e10.5 but he then went into the same explanation as I had overheard before. He also said 'if I like you you can have it for e14.' This whole patter I have heard of before, it's the normal tourist 'Con'. I refused and he got very angry, no longer the charmer, he threatened to call the police, so I said 'please do' and I took a photo of the menu. He then told us to leave without paying. As we took up this offer a police car drove by and he flagged it down. I asked the officer if he spoke English but he didn't. I grabbed a menu and this young waiter was talking a lot. I just showed the officer the menu and within seconds the waiter became very quiet and I could tell the officer wasn't impressed with him. I gave the waiter the e10.50 and the officer was happy for us to go. As we left this waiter turned round and said 'You have played the game very well'. So it appears to be a game to him and nothing else. I think that says it all.

• Visited June 2014
4 Thank Delbuoy56
New Haven, Connecticut
“Great place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

We stopped here when we first got to Capri. We were welcomed warmly like we were old friends. Carlo, the owners son was so kind and thoughtful. He arranged for a taxi to take us to the Blue Grotto, wait for us, and then take us to our hotel. He assured us we didn't want to miss the experience and he was right! The cappuccino and pastries were very good. We returned the next day and had sandwiches made to go and took them to the beach with us. Very good food, gluten free options, and reasonably priced. Definitely stop here when you are in Capri. We will definitely be back.

• Visited July 2013
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Friendly, with free Wi-Fi”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013 via mobile

First stop, on arriving in Capri.. Very friendly, nibbles given with our drinks.. Very friendly, chatty waiter.. Surprisingly, inexpensive bill for Capri and free Wi-Fi :)

Visited July 2013