“Terrific interiors, and altogether, a class act”
Review of J.K.Place Capri

J.K.Place Capri
Ranked #15 of 41 Hotels in Capri
NYC
“Terrific interiors, and altogether, a class act”
Reviewed 30 July 2009

Just a 1-minute drive from the harbor, the JK is located right on the road snaking up from the marina to Capri Town. The pool area is screened from the road by beautiful, blooming oleander, but there’s some car/moped noise that makes that area of the property less idyllic than the interiors and the terrace alongside the back of the hotel. That terrace, with views of Vesuvius across the bay, is serene and lovely, and the interiors are just what you’d expect from the Web site, designed to the hilt and in immaculate condition. Service was good throughout the stay. Food (we ate dinner there once, and breakfast daily) was good, not great. Other hotels that we saw looked quite dated (La Scalinatella looked ghastly and tacky, and while the location of Caesar Augustus, with its unparalleled views, is much nicer than JK’s location, I’d prefer to stay at a new, impeccably designed, and very 21st century hotel like JK. We availed ourselves of the free shuttle service to/from town, which basically operates whenever you have a need to go or come—very nicely done. Staff were young, and had to be reminded occasionally of requests, but overall were effective and well trained. So I have no complaints, and would definitely stay there again if I were to return to Capri. That said, beyond the nice interiors and the terrace, there’s not much to do at the hotel itself, and the pool area, while fine, didn’t have much to recommend it. So a very good hotel, but not one that made itself onto my mental list of great hotels experiences.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank DaneP

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
San Luis Obispo, CA
Reviewed 18 May 2009

J.K. Place, Capri is magical. The location and design are stunning but the service is truly what sets them apart. Everyone, from the General Manager Samuel to each member of his staff was gracious and genuinely kind without being at all stuffy. They anticipated our every need over the 4 days my wife and I spent there. We never signed for trivial expenditures, our suite was always immaculately clean, the pool and spa were refreshing and the food was beautifuly prepared and delicious. The Restaurant Manager, Lorenzo always had wine and menu recommendations that were perfect! We loved the restaurant so much that we ate almost every meal there. My wife and I travel quite a bit and stay at really nice resorts and hotels but J.K. Place is the best hotel experience we've ever had. We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PFrancis
Pittsburgh
Reviewed 9 February 2009

Actually don't have words to describe how fabulous the hotel was! The JK is simply the BEST Hotel we ever stayed at. Amazing views, relaxing and cool atmosphere, the most friendly and professional staff you could find and in one of the best spots of Italy, Capri. The food at the restaurant was very good, fresh seafood and nice local wines. The pool was heated, which in October was a nice touch, although the weather was pretty good...but chilly at night..
definitely will be back! thanks JK!

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 2 December 2008

My husband and I spent the first three nights of our honeymoon in Italy at the J.K. Place Capri. The hotel was BY FAR the best part about visiting Capri, although I have to admit I am not a big fan of the island (super overpriced and overrun by tourists with an average age of at least 55). In any case, if you are content to remain in your room or poolside with the views, do not go anywhere else but the J.K. It added enough elegance and chic to our visit to almost make up for the disappointment that was Capri.

We stayed in one of the downstairs rooms with private patio. I think they upgraded us because it was our honeymoon, but I never asked. All the staff are so professional and helpful. They truly go out of their way. We were really impressed with everyone who helped us.

The room wasn't huge, but it was definitely enough space for the two of us. The rooms are beautifully designed so we never felt cramped. The bed was magnificent and romantic. One of my favorite parts, though, was the big and deep bathtub. In fact, the whole bathroom was exquisite. The private patio was nice to catch the sunset, but there was nothing really special about the wood lounger and side table. Also, I could see through the lattice divider between us and our neighbors, so also not very private. It didn't bother us though, because the real luxury is upstairs on the veranda looking out toward the Amalfi coast. So beautiful. The whole property is way beyond anything I've ever seen in a hotel. It's a shame it's located in such a tacky vacation spot, or I would be back for our anniversary!

• Liked — the bathtub
  • Disliked — Capri!
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 13 November 2008

Having booked our holiday earlier in the year, I was getting more and more worried about what to expect as I read the reviews posted here. Thankfully those doubts were unfounded and we had the most wonderful week in one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in.

Admittedly the hotel was not full so there was perhaps less pressure on the staff, but the level of service was first class - the balance just right, not too personal, not too aloof. The ambience, like the rest of the island, is very laid back and relaxed and the design of the hotel just gorgeous. It may not be situated in the centre of town but because of that it enjoys wonderful views and the sea breeze, and the shuttle is available most of the time without any significant wait.

I highly recommend and will be returning myself.

• Liked — Italian chic at its best
  • Disliked — not a lot
Hoboken, NJ
Reviewed 19 October 2008

My husband and I stayed at JK Place for a few nights on our honeymoon. We stayed in Santorini at Kirini and at Le Sirenuse in Positano also- you can read those reviews as well. JK Place was beautiful. We loved Capri and JK Place was different because it wasn't in town like all the other hotels. We had no problem getting in and out of town for dinner, shopping, etc because the hotel car took us in and out of town quickly and easily multiple times. We liked being by the water, the hotel has a great view and you can walk down to Marina Grande easily. The hotel itself is like a big house, decorated like a Ralp Lauren ad, its just gorgeous. We felt like we were the only people there, at night we would sit in the library and have wine before we headed to dinner and it was really nice. The pool is very nice- great chairs and a pool boy that will help you with anything you need. Lunch is served on the deck over looking the water and is great. Only thing I would say is that they could have more lunch options- like sandwiches, it was mostly heavy pasta- but it is Italy! The Buffalo Mozzarella salad was delicious. The rooms at JK were incredible, decorated to the nines and so tastefully done. The bed was the best of all the hotels we stayed in, just like the Four Seasons, down comforter, really cozy and comfortable. We had great experiences with the staff- they are not always around, but that didn't bother us. When we needed them they were more than happy to help and they were really helpful on our exit - we had to race to the ferry and they got us there and even carried our luggage on, and we hadn't even signed our credit card bill! They were really trusting and emailed it to us when we got home so we could sign and fax back....very nice of them to get us to the ferry and not worry about the details of our bill.
I would reccomend bringing cash - they actually prefer you to pay in cash, especially for any transfers (they arranged our ferry and car from the airport) and boat rides. We didn't have cash and they were great about letting us pay in USD, but I would avoid that if you can. They arranged a private boat ride for us one day that went around the island and to the Blue Grotto, it was wonderful. Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

• Liked — The view, the room, proximity to Marina Grande
3 Thank deirdrec
London
Reviewed 5 October 2008

I spent 4 days here in September. I think the critical reviews on this site of service are unfair: this is a gorgeously put together hotel with very good service. After the reviews on this site we were braced for some upsets, but there were none. We were addressed by name by staff (but not so often that it looked contrived) and all aspects of service were tip top. Just once in 4 days we were asked our room number - generally, these little details just got done, and I personally much prefer not to be made to sign continual checks by the pool and at dinner. Food was good, not the best Italian food on the planet, but certainly the best that we ate in Capri. The menu covered all the usual Italian favourites, but we often asked for something else, which was never an issue. The buggy service to town was punctual and fun. Room service was faultless. The bathroom of our suite was the best hotel bathroom I have ever seen.

Capri is a tourist trap, but this hotel is spectacular and is how modern hotels should be.