“Central location, great rooms, Carravagio down the street!”

Hotel Palazzo Decumani
Ranked #11 of 186 Hotels in Naples
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My reason for choosing this hotel was that I was travelling alone and I wanted to stay somewhere safe and central. Naples has a bit of a reputation which I felt to be mostly undeserved, but as a single woman traveller I am of the opinion it's better to be safe than sorry. For this reason I spent a lot of time reading a large number of reviews on tripadvisor before deciding on this hotel - it was not cheap, actually it was the most expensive of my entire Italy trip - including Florence and Rome. All in all however, the location made it worth it. The hotel is very centrally located in the narrow streets of the historical centre, making it possible to walk to pretty much all of Naples' sites. You are within walking distance of the train station without being too close - tip get a taxi to the hotel, I walked and felt very conspicuous with my luggage and the hotel is a bit tricky to find on arrival. A taxi should cost 10 Euros. If you are in town to see Carravagio, 2 of the 3 paintings in Naples are in walking distance of the hotel. Also near by are all the famous pizzerias and good gelato shops.
The hotel itself is clean and well maintained, the staff are helpful and on the whole very friendly. I was informed that it was safe to walk around until about 8pm alone as there would be plenty of people on the streets. My room was lovely with a very comfortable bed, a great bathroom with full bath and shower and Etro products. The room had a mini bar, safe etc and was very large and spacious. My only quibble was a slight chemical smell, but I left the window open and that solved the problem. Breakfast is served downstairs and is very decent there is fruit, cereal, toast, cake, yogurt, cheese etc. frankly given the cost of my room and how nice it was, I would have expected a bit better. On departure the hotel booked my cab to the station which was very helpful - 10 Euros. The lobby/bar/breakfast area feel a bit barren, the reason to stay at this hotel is for the room/bathroom and location. Tip get a bus to the Art museum/palace for Carravagio's third painting as it is on a hill and too far to walk. All in all Naples is well worth a visit, great food, amazing art and with a tiny fractions of the visitors to Rome and Florence! It was unbelievable to be able to stand virtually alone in so many museums!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank P I
Write a ReviewReviews (1,259)

Reviewed 31 May 2014

We chose this hotel to be within the central historic district of Naples but accessible by car. The property is en excellent condition, well maintained and clean. Rooms were spacious and nicely furnished. Great restaurants and history walking steps away. Breakfast spread was extensive (only complaint was the coffee was not up to Italian standards). We loved the intimate bar and the bartender was very knowledgeable about local foods and served us perfect American Martinis (vodka and gin) and put out all sorts of high quality appetizers representative of local products and preparation. Staff were helpful and courteous.

Room Tip: Be sure to go to the bar... You may not need dinner after all of the great appetizers.
1  Thank Brent O
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I had a one day stay in Naples with an very early morning departure (4:30 am) the next day. The staff was terrific and arranged the taxi (and negotiated a good rate for me) and even brought me a cappuccino as I would be leaving well in advance of the breakfast.
The room was stylish, the bed very comfortable, and the plush robe and slippers were a very nice touch.
The hotel is right in the center of the old city and shops, churches, museums, cafes, delis are all a block away.
Some tourists are put off by the hustle and bustle of Naples; thinking the graffiti is distressing when it's actually some of the best political art you'll find anywhere. The old city is vibrant and exciting and this hotel is a perfect base to explore.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank SCAmicus
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Hotel Palazzo Decumani is located a few steps from Spacca Napoli, the heart of the old city of Naples. It is an oasis in the chaos of the city, a comfortable small hotel with incredibly friendly and attentive staff, but so well located that you can be in the midst of all the action within two minutes. We spent three nights there and moved safely round the city from this base. We enjoyed welcome drinks and aperitivi as well as a very good breakfast each morning, and the staff were happy to recommend some good places to eat and to visit. Our room was huge and quiet, with a comfortable king sized bed and an enormous shower which never seemed to run out of hot water! Our only problem was the slow wifi, which was intermittent in the room but worked reasonably well in the downstairs bar area. We also visited areas such as Chiaia, the more exclusive part of the city, but were very glad we had stayed at this hotel in this location because it gave us such good access to everything.

1  Thank mbloggs
Reviewed 30 May 2014

This place was such a pleasant surprise. I was a bit disgruntled when I booked it, because we were supposed to fly from Sicily to Naples, and then directly home to the states, but Alitalia moved our flight up 3 hours, so we had to leave Sicily one day earlier. I did NOT want to stay in Naples, after hearing so many negative things about the city. Well, this hotel was absolutely wonderful. They gave us the warmest welcome, and the staff was a delight...especially Barbara. Our room was spacious, modern, and comfortable. And... I also loved Naples. It's a wild, crazy city, but I was not afraid, even walking around at night. In the short time we were there, we had the best pizza in the world, visited the Archaeological Museum (which contains the art work from Pompeii and Herculaneum) and had the most fantastic dinner at a restaurant called Il Garum. We were treated like royalty at Palazzo Decumani.

1  Thank Lilyann T
Reviewed 27 May 2014

The rooms were large and well appointed and kept clean by the staff. Breakfast was cold meats, cheeses,tomatoes, fresh fruit as well as prunes, mixed berries and pineapple and yoghurt. Hot food consisted of scrambled eggs and little sausages with hard boiled eggs on Sunday. Also a very nice quiche which came out around 7.45am. Toast, rolls, cakes, pastries were also plentiful and cereals in individual boxes. Choice of hot drink and fruit juice in jugs.
The lift was also convenient and the staff were very helpful.
This is in the historic part of Naples and although the neighborhood was seedy, we had no trouble with the people. But be careful of what jewelery you wear as I had comments in the streets, twice on my rings so I stopped wearing them. There is a little supermarket down near the main road and a post office opposite the hotel. It took us 35 minutes to walk from the railway station, I don't think we are that slow but it is hard going pulling luggage over the uneven surfaces. Taxi will be 10 eu but you will have to be firm with the taxi driver. Also 10 eu from the Harbour where you catch the ferry to Isle of Capri.
I would recommend this hotel.

1  Thank teebee49
Reviewed 18 April 2014

New and stylish boutique hotel in a very quiet part of Napoli's historic city center. Very convenient location just a few steps away from Via Tribunali.
Small but very well furnished rooms that are very quiet, however depending on your neighbors within the hotel, noise protection could be better.

Good and rich breakfast served and included in the rate.

Definitely one of the better options to stay in Napoli.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo