“Lovely hotel in great location”

Le Stanze del Vicere'
Ranked #180 of 641 Naples B&B and Inns
London
“Lovely hotel in great location”
Reviewed 17 June 2013

My friend and I from London had a 4 night stay in Naples am stayed at this lovely hotel.

We loved the character and charm of this hotel. The rooms are spacious with high ceilings, clean and relaxing.
We loved chatting to Max, and his great sense of humour.
Pina was great at breakfast and made us lovely coffees. Breakfast is basic, but good: bread rolls, boiled eggs, slices of cheese, croissants and cakes.
The hotel is less than a 10 minute walk from the Archeological museum. We went all over Naples (centre storico and down to Royal Naples and the port of Santa Lucia) and we didn't use public transport or taxis once. There is a tube stop next to the Archeological museum but we didn't use it.
We also walked to and from the main station (Pizza Garibaldi) for a day trip to Sorrento.
We did get a taxi to and from the airport which was €25.
My only advice to travellers is that the hotel is up a hill, so if you have any difficulty with walking, bear this in mind. We were pleased todo it after all the delicious pizza, pasta and ice cream we ate!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank LuLu81London

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2013

We have just returned after a five night stay at Le Stanze del Vicere. Converted from an old palazzo, the hotel is gorgeous and is a fantastic and unique place to stay. We cannot wait to go back, and we are already planning our next visit. I would not want to stay anywhere else in Naples after spending time here. We visited for my 40th birthday, as I have always wanted to see Pompeii and Herculaneum, and visit Mount Vesuvius.

The hotel interior was refurbished in 2008 to a beautiful standard, contrasting beautifully with the exterior of the building’s ‘shabby chic’ – which is absolutely typical for Naples. The painted ceiling in the breakfast room is just gorgeous, like a mini Sistine Chapel.

We found the building with no problem at all. You enter through a robust security gateway (again, typical for Naples) to see the most amazing staircase on one side of the courtyard. Le Stanze del Vicere is up on the second floor.

The hotel is about a ten minute stroll from Piazza Cavour metro station. The area is quiet and safe, and during our stay here we felt like we got a proper taste of local life, drinking coffee and eating dinner with the locals and popping into the local shops along the via Stella and via Mater Dei. Piazza Dante is about fifteen minutes away, and is great for coffee and people-watching. You can easily walk to the local tourist sites, like Spaccanapoli and the Centro Storico (c.20 mins), as well as the Port and University (c.30 mins) and the Central Station (c.20 mins) too.

We stayed in Room 2, next to the breakfast room, which overlooked the courtyard. The room was huge, with a super-king size bed and high ceilings, and a polished marble floor. It also had aircon, a fridge/minibar and a safe. Our en-suite had a powerful shower with constant hot water, and all mod cons, including a hairdryer, a power point for shaving, etc. Both our room and bathroom were kept immaculately clean throughout our stay.

We enjoyed the breakfast, which consisted of a range of Neapolitan cakes and pastries, croissants, rolls, cheese and eggs, as well as some juices and great coffee. You can also request an early breakfast if you need to.

We did not use the breakfast room / communal area apart from for breakfast; instead, we preferred to sit in the garden in the evenings, under the orange trees, and make friends with the little family of local cats who have taken up residence.

The staff – Maxime, Pina and Luigi - were friendly and welcoming, and made such an effort to make our stay enjoyable. Maxime was a great host - nothing was too much trouble. He kindly recommended several excellent local restaurants, as well as ones further afield (e.g. Sorrento) and helped make arrangements for our transfer to the airport. He gave us directions and other advice on Naples and was always there to give us our room key, no matter what time we got back. We really enjoyed our chats with Maxime every day about where we had been. He told us so much about Naples and gave us the lowdown on local life – it was fascinating to hear about the history of the area and it made a great visit even more enjoyable. He really was the perfect host who was literally always available, as well as knowledgeable, friendly and helpful.

My partner and I have both worked in the travel industry and this place really impressed us. If you enjoy staying in more conventional hotels, such as Marriotts, or other hotel chains, then perhaps Le Stanze del Vicere is not the place for you. We found it to be a great fit for us. It exceeded our expectations in every way, giving us a truly unique boutique hotel experience, as well as the chance to explore Naples and the local area from a beautiful, central, and safe location. We experienced no problems with the hotel or the area at all during our stay. Like I said at the start of this review, we simply cannot wait to go back!

Room Tip: Rooms either overlook the courtyard and stairway, or the garden.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GeorgiaK136
stanzedel, Responsabile reception at Le Stanze del Vicere', responded to this review, 14 May 2013
We have a very good memory of you both, as you were always smiling and willing to appreciate every aspects of our Hotel and city. Tha's the correct way of approcing to a new city and place.
Thank you for your kind words, we are relly happy you felt all that you descrived and to know that you both worked in travel business make us see this review even more precious.
Come back soon!
uk
Reviewed 1 May 2013

Without doubt, as other reviewers have pointed out, the hotel is charming in terms of the building, the decor etc... The rooms are beautiful, the area is generally very quiet and the location is good - you can walk to the main shopping areas and the port. Despite what you read and hear about Naples we felt completely safe in this area. We did however have a rather strange experience for the 3 or 4 days we stayed here. We arrived on a Saturday afternoon and the guy who runs (owns?) the hotel seemed to have had a little to drink. After leaving our key and popping out for some food we returned at around 6pm to find the guy passed out on a sofa in the communal area. With no-one else in the hotel at all it took a little while to wake him, at which point he failed to remember us or our room number. It was a Saturday and maybe he was unwinding so we weren't unduly concerned. On Sunday there was a similar incident. After returning from a day trip we entered the hotel to find him letting himself out of our room. He seemed a flustered by our sudden appearance and again he was what I can only describe as drunk. I'm really not sure what he was doing in our room in the early evening as he gave no explanation that I could comprehend but on leaving our room he let himself into the room next door. Our final evening on returning to the hotel at around 10pm we spent around 20 mins with him while he took our passport details. We had to read the details out to him as he was too drunk to be able to read. The next morning he greeted us by saying "I don't even remember you coming in last night"! The guy seemed friendly and maybe we stayed on a couple of odd days but we've never had an experience this strange at a hotel. We never felt at ease and were glad to be leaving in the end. Beautiful building but I wouldn't return.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ntraveller82
stanzedel, Direttore at Le Stanze del Vicere', responded to this review, 4 May 2013
Kind Sirs,
we are very happy you liked our Hotel and Naples.
We are really surprised to read what you wrote about our Hotel's manager, Mr. Maxime, he is usally very caring, friendly and professional. You can safely read all the others reviews where all the Guests praise him. During those days Maxime had very high temperature, as it can happen to anyone. We apologize if you have had some inconvenient, but we guarantee you, since he has been working with us for many years, Maxime is a wonderful and outstanding person. In the room we usually do a refresher in the afternoon, then this is a common practice, so you should not be surprised if in structures of a certain level you see people coming out of a room.
Best Regards
Guido Bifulco
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2013

We stayed for 4 nights at Le Stanze del Vicere and I would agree with others that this is a little gem. Maxim was very nice and told us the history of the place and of Naples. The interior of the hotel was refurbished in 2008 to an excellent standard, however the building itself is getting run-down and it is a shame that the people sharing ownership won't do anything about the exterior. The building is beautiful, but it's starting to show the decay. The room was clean and spacious and the breakfast was decent - loved the cappucino. I would definitely come back to stay if we ever came back to Naples. We found the people to be friendly and down to earth, however they drive insanely and don't keep the streets clean at all. There were mounds of rubbish in the streets, litter and dog do do everywhere.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank KrisMacG
Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2013

We decided to spend nine days in Naples to experience some of the amazing things in and around the city, such as the Archeological museum, the Pompeii site, Vesuvius,the various palaces etc etc,.The city itself is very busy, at times chaotic and run down in parts, but this is more than balanced by the friendly locals and the excellent food! We thought it best to visit in February- not so hot and fewer tourists.
We think ourselves very lucky to have chanced to book at Le Stanze. Once past the un-prepossesing exterior portal you climb a classic staircase to the 2nd floor of the old Viceroy's palace.The rooms here have been fully modernised whilst keeping their original charm,the bedrooms are large with excellent en-suite bathrooms. The manager Maxime was very helpful as were Pina & Luigi and helped to make a great holiday for us! Highly reccomended!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jill P
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 19 January 2013

We took a bit of time walking upto the hotel... and as we entered the gates, we didn't really know what to expect, it looked like a very old spooky house... but once we stepped in, we were truly amazed. Rooms were large with extremely high ceilings and beautifully done up. The bathrooms were extremely clean, with new modern fittings. The breakfast area was grand, truly European with a quaint spread of rolls, jam, tea and cakes. Maxime was a wonderful host. Loved it.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ManasiBansal
Makati, Philippines
Reviewed 25 December 2012

Having just toured Rome and Tuscany, arriving in Naples can be a bit intimidating. However, once you've gone past your first impression, the city has so many hidden treasures one of which is this hotel. I can say that it has got to be the biggest, nicest and cheapest hotel I've stayed at in Italy. Getting there was quite a challenge at first. Once I arrived at Napoli Centrale, I pondered on whether to take a taxi or just take the metro and walk. I decided on the latter. I took the L2 metro and alighted just two stops away at P. Cavour station. With map on hand, I immediately found Via Stella. It was literally an uphill climb from then on passing through a narrow, cobblestone street lined with local shops. It was a bit difficult lugging along a trolley bag with cars and motorcycles zipping past me but I eventually reached the hotel. Initial impression was that it was some sort of run down building. The area itself is set in a local neighborhood just a little off the historic center of Naples. It is relatively safe and gave me the opportunity to mingle with the very friendly locals and witness their daily lives. There are likewise some nice neighborhood restaurants, convenience stores, shops just around the corner.

Once I entered the gate and the courtyard, I looked up to find a flight of stairs, 58 steps to be exact, to the third floor. It was a bit cold in Naples but I was sweating when I reached reception and was greeted by Luigi. Check-in was swift and fuzz free and I was led to my room by the amiable Pina. Though the building looked really old, the hotel itself is newly renovated. In fact, Luigi apologized for some construction work going on. Once I entered my room, I was in total awe! The room had a small anteroom where you'll find a closet and a door leading to the bedroom and a sliding door to the bath. This help insulate the noise from the hallway. The bathroom was the largest I've seen with modern fittings and amenities. Soap, shampoo, shower cap, and a hair dryer were provided. Just a minor concern though, the shower drain needs to be checked as it drains slowly. Now seeing the room, I somehow felt like I was in a palace with high ceiling, a large bed, a study with a 24" flat screen TV, and a full height window with French Balcony looking out a small courtyard. Pina was even nice enough to ask if I liked my room. Oh you bet I do!

As if that wasn't enough, I was shown the breakfast area and immediately asked if it was a museum. The decor was simple but tasteful with a lounge area where you can help yourself with some books or watch TV and a long glass dining table where you can partake of your meals.

Once I met the Dutch hotel owner/manager (?) Maxime, it was then that I found out I was actually staying in a 16th century Palazzo once owned by the King of Spain and residence of a Viceroy hence the name. Yes it did look run down on the outside, but the building has this unspeakable character and charm that makes it utterly beautiful. Maxime was truly a wonderful host who would even prepare my coffee at breakfast and engaging me in friendly conversations, offering me useful advice and information on where to go and recommending some good places to eat. Even offering me some little bits of history and the local Camora (mafia) haha.

Staying at La Stanze was truly a wonderful experience giving me the best bang for my buck! With that in mind, I wish to say a special thank you to Luigi, Pina and most especially to Maxime for your gracious hospitality...Richard

Tip: I booked via hotels.com and got a great deal :-) Should you decide to take the metro and walk, it's best to take the Via S. Teresa degli Scalzi route. Once you get out of P. Cavour station, walk towards the Muzeo Archaeologico Nazionale and turn right. Walk a couple of blocks up and turn right when you see Via Stella. The hotel is just a few meters to your left. the hike is a bit longer but the sidewalk is wider and paved and easier if you have a roller bag. If you don't have a map, you can get one for free at the Tourist Information Office at the train station.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo