“Booking.com offered a two star hotel when we arrived we got a one star”

Hotel Alloggio del Conte
Ranked #517 of 726 Naples B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 September 2012

When you book a one star hotel you know you are going to get a very basic hotel ( we arrived at 23.00 leaving at 8am the next day to get the ferry), however, you do expect 1) Safety 2) Cleanliness 3) A degree of Comfort

Wow, where do I begin, well I will get straight to the point:

Positives: Very, very friendly owners

Negatives (See photos attached): Hotel advised of air conditioning (Lie!), well if you include a window and a fan, then a I suppose they are correct, absolutely no air conditioning was supplied, I never slept a wink all night, TV did not work, shower room dirty, exposed cables in bathroom and stairwell, was promised complimentary wine on arrival, I received nothing, waited 20 minutes to check out, knocked on doors, nothing!; seriously run down area, though close to Da Macheles

Can’t BeLIEve the reviews below.

Will I go back? Never!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Peter_MacPherson
There are newer reviews for Hotel Alloggio del Conte

Reviewed 21 August 2012

Stayed here for just one night whilst on our way to Positano. The location is ok... In a residential area near to the center. Because of the busy narrow little streets surrounding the hotel it is very noisy until late and the noise starts up again very early.
It's about a 10min walk from the central train station & the train that takes you to Pompeii & Sorrento.
The owners of the hotel were lovely. Very helpful with directions & recommended a great restaurant for dinner.
The room was ok. An ok size. The bathroom was a bit small & dated.
I would recommend this hotel to someone who is just passing through Naples like we were and on a tight budget.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 28 April 2012

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 24 May 2011

The hotel doesn't look much from the outside, but inside it's great. Clean rooms and bathrooms. The owners are absolutely amazing. So hospitable and gracious. The second day I stayed in Naples, I had booked a trip to see the volcano and Pompeii. I had difficulty getting through to the organisers and asked the lady who ran the hotel for help. She used her own mobile to ring the organiser and sorted everything for me. She explained the car would not fit down to narrow road so we would have to meet them at the main street. The next day, she knocked on our door, 10 minutes before we had to meet the group, and took us to the meeting point incase we got lost. She waited with us for 20 minutes before the car arrived. She could not do enough for us. Her husband? was also very helpful and kind.

Other reviews have said the neighbourhood was rough and really dangerous. It wasn't that bad! I am only 21 and so is my friend who I was with. We felt safe walking from the hotel to the main roads and never had any problems.

The only negative is the noise from the surrounding buildings, but the hotel has installed a metal shutter that you can pull down over your window of a night to keep out the noise, and it really does help!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 March 2011

My only complaint about this hotel is that the woman who works there didn't accidentally enter my room in the early hours and trip over my trainers and fall in bed beside me losing her clothes in the process.

From the outside it looks shocking. So much so I gave myself a slap when I saw it. But when I went upstairs I found a nice, tidy and clean bunch of hotel rooms that have cable TV and a really friendly attitude. We were the only people in the hotel which has about 8 rooms (I think) I was with my son aged 9 and not once did we feel threatened or worried.
In fact as i stumbled back from Da Michele the hotel was a welcome retreat.
It is run by Carlos and his stunning wife? Both are very friendly and Carlos was running me around the city in his car, he genuinely couldn't do enough for us.

Anyone who says this place is dodgy needs to kick themselves in the face. Twice.

The thing is, Italy is stunning, but the further South you get the worse it gets. The government have all but forgotten about anything South of Rome and so the streets of Naples are filled with rubbish, fake handbags and dodgy looking people. It wouldn't look out of place in Grand Theft Auto and really is the skanky end of Italy. The hotel however is centrally located and within walking distance of pretty much anything dodgy you want. Da Michele (the world famous pizzeria) is 10 minutes walk, and you can bag yourself genuine Dolce & Gabanna handbag for a few Euros en route.

Check out was a painless as check in and as I waved goodbye to Carlos's missus I realised that she couldn't possibly have accidentally ended up in bed with me since Id not left my trainers out for her to trip over ;(

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank stu.bec
Reviewed 2 September 2009

I must firstly admit that I feel terrible about writing this review -- the woman who runs the hotel was just lovely and she is clearly trying very hard to make all guests comfortable. I also must admit that although I've been reading other's reviews on tripadvisor for many years, this is actually the first time I have ever taken the time to write one myself...but I just felt such a strong duty to warn! This hotel, which would be fine if you could pick it up and move it to another part of the city, is really not a place for foreigners to be staying. It is in a VERY rough neighborhood (and I have stayed in rough neighborhoods in Cambodia as well as other developing countries). I did not feel safe for one second inside or outside the hotel. The door jam to our room was barely intact and could have been pushed in (no kicking necessary!) at will. The window/doors had an actual metal/cage type door that rolled down on the outside of them to provide extra protection. The building directly across the street has a series of spikes running all along its windows (at the same height above the road as the rooms in the hotel) to keep criminals from climbing up into the rooms. Although I knew that the area was rough, I didn't realize how bad it really was until I was leaving in a cab that took me to the port -- which drove away from the train station and through the entire neighborhood. We met some locals while walking one day who told us that there are shootings and robberies regularly where we were staying so we should be very careful. As you surely know, Naples is not a safe, pleasant city to begin with, so do yourself a favor and don't stay in the scariest neighborhood of all!

The room was fine and kept clean. The bed was not particularly comfortable but it suffices. The bathroom was acceptable as well -- considering that it's very cheap to stay there. As aforementioned -- the hosts are lovely and they are trying hard -- but the location is just not acceptable.

One last thing -- if you are going to Naples - you MUST have the famous pizza at da Michele -- it really was amazing!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank etraveller
Reviewed 30 July 2009

Nice hotel, very warm welcome and friendly staff. Building is noisy in the morning, but that's no problem when you want to wake up early. It's in an old neighbourhood of Naples where you might feel unsafe when you are alone. (and take a good map with you, it's hard to find if you have a map with you which is not enought zoomed in)

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo